$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

ヘッジホッグジレンマ (Hedgehog's Dilemma)» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do you actually play this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Three of us tried to play Hedgehog's Dilemma yesterday and all the English rules multiple times. The problem is that the rules are so extremely poorly translated that they make very little sense. Is anyone able to read the Japanese rules and explain how to play?

We got the whole thing about how to win a trick but the rest was just guessing and hoping we got it right. We most certainly didn't. What does it mean to have hand or no hand? How do you get a heart tile? When does the game end - just 6 hands to play all your cards? Or do you draw up to 6 again after each round? There are only 5 heart tiles but it says the one with the most in the end is the winner. Seems odd when you play at least 6 rounds and ties must be common.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first round of trick taking, you have only 5 cards left.

Replenish the burrow (the market). Do NOT replenish your hand.

Continue play until you have no cards left in your hand.

Each player adds up the points of the cards in front of them (i.e. all the tricks you made).

Whoever has the most points receives a heart token.

Put all cards back into the draw pile and start all over again (shuffle, layout the burrow, give each player 6 cards).

The game is over after the last heart token is awarded. Whoever has the most tokens wins.

So the game is played as 6 rounds (number of cards you start with, then reducing) x 5 scoring moments = 30 attempts at trick taking.

I have just written and submitted the English rules and am waiting for them to be approved.

Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Three of us tried to play Hedgehog's Dilemma yesterday and all the English rules multiple times. The problem is that the rules are so extremely poorly translated that they make very little sense. Is anyone able to read the Japanese rules and explain how to play?

I know some Japanese, but this is really from reading through the English--or maybe it's more accurate to say Japlish

Tigrillo wrote:
We got the whole thing about how to win a trick but the rest was just guessing and hoping we got it right. We most certainly didn't. What does it mean to have hand or no hand?

I think "have no hand" means when you run out of cards in your hand. From what I can tell, everyone should run out at the same time, right?

Tigrillo wrote:
How do you get a heart tile?

By having the highest total value on the cards you collected in a round.

Tigrillo wrote:
When does the game end - just 6 hands to play all your cards? Or do you draw up to 6 again after each round?

The game ends after 5 rounds (and you run out of hearts). Each round ends after players play through their hand of 6 cards.

Tigrillo wrote:
There are only 5 heart tiles but it says the one with the most in the end is the winner. Seems odd when you play at least 6 rounds and ties must be common.

With 5 tiles, you could definitely end up with some ties. However, I don't think the designers are super stressed out about ties, just having wacky fun

Did you actually find the game somewhere? My wife loves hedgehogs and I'd love to get a copy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you both of you. Such a simple solution that it seems silly we didn't think of it ourselves.

I bought the game in Japan three weeks ago in a Yellow Submarine shop. I went to three different ones and saw it in two of those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My English rules reference has been approved and is now available in the Files section.

Feel free to review it and let me know if anything needs clarifying.
Hedgehog's Dilemma - English Rules

Cheers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Tangram11 wrote:
My English rules reference has been approved and is now available in the Files section.

Feel free to review it and let me know if anything needs clarifying.
Hedgehog's Dilemma - English Rules

Cheers.


I thanked you there and I'll thank you here!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.