Alien vs Predator: The Hunt Begins» Forums » General

Subject: 2 questions: editions and addons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Delval
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 questions. What is the difference between the retail and the kickstarter version of the core set?

Also are there any indispensable addons? To be used in the premade scenarios? Or just for overall balancing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
From what ive heard, the latest version is of a much poorer/thinner quality of board sections and counters than the kickstarter and early release shop version. The current blister packs counters are almost paper thin compared to my kickstarter boxset counters. Its a shame really, but hardly surprising i suppose. Prodos seem to have stumbled from one disaster to another, and providing possibly the worst customer service for such a promising franchise. Im glad i only backed them in a group and for just a basic game. Ive ought some expansions to balance it out, so im not in the utterly stiffed group that so many others are in. Im honestly surprised that there hasnt been a lawsuit started yet.

Great game tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
popsical wrote:
From what ive heard, the latest version is of a much poorer/thinner quality of board sections and counters than the kickstarter and early release shop version. The current blister packs counters are almost paper thin compared to my kickstarter boxset counters. Its a shame really, but hardly surprising i suppose. Prodos have stumbled from one disaster to another, and providing possibly the worst customer service for such a promising franchise. Im glad i only backed them in a group and for just a basic game. Ive ought some expansions to balance it out, so im not in the utterly stiffed group that so many others are in. Im honestly surprised that there hasnt been a lawsuit started yet.

Great game tho.

This.

The board thickness is what kills me, any Ping! token add-on I got with my Kickstarter edition are blatantly thinner, and have a different coloration on the logo... so it's trivial to spot these models before they even enter play. But then again, I felt the Ping! concept was half-baked to begin with.

The latest rules edition balance the game out and clarify most things... but the rules are written subtly and if you don't re-read them a few times, you will miss key concepts (I have several threads on this here).

If you are in no hurry, I'd wait for the "wargame" rules that they have been dragging their feet on releasing, and seeing how those rules work out. If you buy now, you are investing in a game with a broken rulebook (the good V2.0 rules haven't hit retail yet), and uncertain value long-term.

The minis are super detailed, but fragile. If you like the IP, then you will be impressed with them (unless you hate painting). Literally every other aspect of this game is lackluter and not at the quality of a retail release... yet. It's slowly getting there...very...slowly. Expect to have to print a new rulebook and model cards when the new cards get released). If you are okay with that at retail prices... dive in.

Add-ons?
Marines: A power loader is a good choice.
Aliens: The Warriors are an excellent choice, they come in two varieties now (which means the cards you receive are out of date).
Predator: Up to you, the add-ons are weaker/cheaper units (since the Preds themselves are powerful/expensive). Do you want to play them as a small group of tanks (no add-ons), or one tank and his minions(with add-ons)?

Really, though... What you get in the box will keep you occupied for a while. The new rules actually give you some choice when building a staring force for the Pred/Aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.
Guess i'll be waiting how to see if the boardgame gets a 2nd edition... because it would drive me bonkers all the errataeing and differences in quality. A shame really...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Noyes
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
If you can find an early release or kickstarter boxset it would be worth buying it for the quality board sections and counters. It is as you say a shame that the whole business has become such a debacle. I play the game solo for the most, so the new ping counters are not a problem.

My advice to anyone interested in this game is this:

Buy the game and whatever expansions you like the look of. Just realise that the rules are now a print out pdf, and that which ever set of rules you use (even the originals work with work), there will be little or no reliable support from Prodos. Dont rely on Prodos to do anything right and you wont be let as far down as so many KS backers appear to have been.
Another thing to keep in mind is the longevity of the licence itself. How long will Fox let the game continue in any guise or at all?
It has been rumoured that the game may cease production in 2018.
So buying it now may save regrets later if the usual scalp takers on ebay start pumping up the price in a year or two.

Food for thought, and a little help i hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
because it would drive me bonkers all the errataeing and differences in quality. A shame really...

What would grind my gears more is investing in a NEW, EXPENSIVE game and learning that I need to print out a new rulebook and cards on my own dime.
The game is truly a mess right now.

popsical wrote:
Dont rely on Prodos to do anything right and you wont be let as far down as so many KS backers appear to have been.

Truer words have not been said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
popsical wrote:
It has been rumoured that the game may cease production in 2018.

Not really a rumour. 2018 is when the licence is up for renewal, and Jarek is on record as saying he intends to tell Fox to stuff their licence....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for better cardboard will make you miss the fabulous 40% off sale. All bundles (games and add-ons) are 40% MSRP until August 31. So take a look and see if better cardboard is worth the wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Not really a rumour. 2018 is when the licence is up for renewal, and Jarek is on record as saying he intends to tell Fox to stuff their licence....

Sooooo... There's that to consider too: Jarek Ewertowski is the lead at Prodos. The above post is his par for the course in dealing with practically anything (including paying customers). He's kinda the tip of the iceberg that is sinking this game at this point. What a guy. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So should I take the 40% off deal or wait? If Prodos is as bad as it sounds, I doubt there will be a second edition. As of right now, it is $20 cheaper to order ALL content from Prodos than CSI.

Side note-I am not a fan of resin mini, would rather have hard plastic like KDM.

Edit-I pulled the trigger...the deal was too good to pass up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raxximus wrote:
So should I take the 40% off deal or wait? If Prodos is as bad as it sounds, I doubt there will be a second edition. As of right now, it is $20 cheaper to order ALL content from Prodos than CSI.

Side note-I am not a fan of resin mini, would rather have hard plastic like KDM.

Edit-I pulled the trigger...the deal was too good to pass up

Prepare for disappointment, I guess?

The minis are made of a type of resin, and they have yet to release PDF's of the 2.0 cards so we can play the game correctly. Prodos also has the license until 2018, so I would assume there would be a 2.0 release (though they seem to do rolling updates at Prodos).

On the bright side, maybe they will have released them by the time you have assembled and painted everything? Pro tip: use cyanoacrylate glue on these minis (Loctite, Krazyglue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.