Subject: Playable if one player isn't a good reader? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 7 months of waiting my copy of "Pandemic Legacy" has been shipped. I plan to play this with my family. My 7 year old son plays "Pandemic" since he is 5 years old and it has never been a problem that he couldn't read. We always have the cards in front of us, if he doesn't get the text someone always reads the card aloud.

Are there any secret cards/informations in "Pandemic Legacy" that only one player has to read by himself? Although my son is in school now, he still isn't a good reader. It takes him very long to read and he doesn't always get the whole information when reading.

Do you think we can play the game together as family?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no secret information between players, so that's no problem. A bigger issue is that the rules are often in flux, so what you can (and should) do each game is a little different than the game before. There are also some important differences between Pandemic: Legacy and regular Pandemic that may throw him (and you) off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I think we can manage the part with "rules in flux".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most game mechanic related reading you would do is with choosing your upgrades. After every game you select two upgrades from a fairly wide variety of choices such as adding special events to cards or giving characters additional abilities. And as the campaign progresses more and more upgrade choices are added. Similarly the game has a rule for Scars which occur when your character is in a traumatic situation such as being in the middle of an outbreak when it happens. Like upgrades there are a bunch of Scars to choose from and more choices are added as the game goes on. So you probably will need to help your son read those things when applicable.

Otherwise the game is essentially Pandemic with new rules added in most months. If he can understand Pandemic this is just a step above that in complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Be aware that the theme is more intense, immersive and adult in Pandemic Legacy than in regular Pandemic. So you might want to be careful if your son is easily distressed or scared by things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two games yet, January and February (won both months). No problem occured, everything went fine My son liked it, even a lot more than the regular Pandemic. He is good in memorising things and he even read some of the sentences. But that was hard because the letters are really small written and therefore reading isn't easy for a beginner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.