Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm editing text in a geeklist item which should look like this.

Title 1: Text 1
Title number 2: Text 2
Title nr 3: Text text 3
Title 4: Text 4

Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text

But I want this in the normal font (without the "c-code").
So I tried using floatleft; see example below.
This works fine in a forum thread (as can be seen below), but in a geeklist item it generates extra blank lines between the clear-command and the "extra text" part. This only happens when it's at the top of the geeklist item text. When I repeat the same text further below it works fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hope this explanation makes sense. Maybe someone more familiar with floatleft can copy/paste this in a geeklist item and check it out?
Thanks!

Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:

Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4
Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you can reduce the extra space by enclosing it all in another floatleft like this.

[floatleft][floatleft][b]Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:[/b]
[/floatleft][floatleft]Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4[/floatleft][clear]Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text, Extra text[/floatleft]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
NicoR wrote:
I'm editing text in a geeklist item which should look like this.

Title 1: Text 1
Title number 2: Text 2
Title nr 3: Text text 3
Title 4: Text 4

But I want this in the normal font (without the "c-code").
So I tried using floatleft; see example below.
This works fine in a forum thread (as can be seen below), but in a geeklist item it generates extra blank lines between the clear-command and the "extra text" part. This only happens when it's at the top of the geeklist item text. When I repeat the same text further below it works fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hope this explanation makes sense. Maybe someone more familiar with floatleft can copy/paste this in a geeklist item and check it out?
Thanks!

Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:

Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4

The problem seems to be that GL Items are implemented by floating left the image and the user block, approximately like this (quote for code), but with the left margin moved right after the user block or some internal/Admin-only code, so your clear is dropping below the GL Item's floats though the special code is keeping the extra text to the right of the user block, unlike below:

Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:

Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4

Removing the clear helps a bit, but I don't think this is what you want:
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:

Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4

Maybe it works better just to manually insert blank lines to get the extra text below the table, instead of clear?
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title 1:
Title number 2:
Title nr 3:
Title 4:

Text 1
Text 2
Text text 3
Text 4

I'd call this a bug and report it as such, but whether a fast response is possible...probably not.

Feel free to include my code as part of the bug report. You might want to set up a small GL to show the problem as part of the report: show it in forum code in the forums, but also link to a GL where it can be seen. A complete problem report increases the chance that the devs can fix the problem.

(As the author of the How to Make Tables article, maybe I should add that I don't use GLs, myself, and that using floats to create tables was an improvisation, a kludge. BGG didn't endorse my improvisation or commit to make sure it works in all cases.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
It seems you can reduce the extra space by enclosing it all in another floatleft like this.

Thanks for the workaround! This solves my problem for now! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
The problem seems to be that GL Items are implemented by floating left the image and the user block, approximately like this (quote for code), but with the left margin moved right after the user block or some internal/Admin-only code, so your clear is dropping below the GL Item's floats though the special code is keeping the extra text to the right of the user block.

Thanks for the insight on why this occurs!

Tall_Walt wrote:
Maybe it works better just to manually insert blank lines to get the extra text below the table, instead of clear?

And thanks for another workaround!
Now I can choose how to fix this

I think I won't report it as a bug for now. Chances of this being picked up and solved are not very high I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.