Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have gotten back into this fine game thanks to the recent kickstarter delivery - having a blast! Thanks Jim, thanks Beresford, thanks Worthington!

Melee reroll question - let's say I have 2 squads in a hex, and thus I roll 2 dice twice (total of 4 dice), if I spend a CP do I...

1. Reroll both dice from one squad?
2. Reroll all 4 dice?
3. Reroll only the dice I want to reroll (i.e. the misses)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gil Winters wrote:
1. Reroll both dice from one squad?

This; see the first sentence of the fifth paragraph under 12.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the first sentence of the 5th paragraph under 12.0 makes it pretty clear, thanks Rusty.

So this means that by spending a CP I can inadvertently reduce my effectiveness in melee... If so this might be the only instance in the game where by spending a CP I might actually worsen my position, kind of a 'push your luck' thing.

As an example, if I have a 2nd Line German squad with a FP value of 4, if I roll my 2 dice and get 1 hit, I'm taking a significant risk to reduce that to 0 hits if I spend a CP for a reroll:

0 hits: 36%
1 hits: 48%
2 hits: 16%

Seems like the game is saying that if your men aren't that great (i.e. 2nd Line) and are doing ok on their own (i.e. you get 1 hit) then pushing them through leadership (i.e. spending a CP)is a bad idea because it will often cause them to make mistakes and blow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is worth the risk anyways. Say you got a reduction but you REALLY need an elimination (2 hits). Maybe the reduction does not help you so it is worth gambling to go for 2 hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.