Hide
9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What to do about bad rolls? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Terry
msg tools
I'm the Overlord in a Descent campaign where one of the players has notoriously bad luck. Whenever we play dice rolling games he's constantly rolling exactly what you don't want more often than others. He likes the game concept but his bad rolls ensure that he dies early and often... So What would you do as the Overlord to deal with this scenario?

The group consists of 2 healers an archer and a warrior from the base game. He's one of the healers. As the overlord would you NOT focus on him? He always tends to be in the right spot to be both the best target and once a character in Descent takes damage, you (either side) are better off focusing on that character and not spread the damage out.

Again, what would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just play the game as it's meant to be played. If he's constantly in a compromising position get him to confer more with his fellow heroes before making a move and work as a team. If he's constantly rolling badly he may have to try to adjust his gameplay to avoid attacking or defending frequently. Remember as well that the dice can be fickle for everybody and it's not meant to be a game where everybody wins.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick heroes and classes with re-rolls as abilities.

Pick a hardy character like Grisbane The Thirsty who is not good at anything except being someone who monsters would rather avoid than pick a fight with.

He won't be the game-winner, but he would relish not being picked on by you all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he actually have consistently bad rolls or does it just seem that way? Confirmation Bias is a powerful thing, after all.

I have the rep of being a bad-roller, too, and it seems to get confirmed all the time - all these bad rolls confirm it, right? Well no, not really. It's just that the ones that do confirm it are the ones that get noticed.

I'd say play the game as written. If you want to play nice with him, you could just choose to attack him less, but I'd hesitate modifying the rules for something as ephemeral as luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redshark and Mlai both raise good points. I'd like to add to their suggestions one more thing: get a small dice tower. Your friend isn't cursed, he either throws poorly, or there is something up with the dice. The fact that it's just him suggests that it's his technique- a dice tower should help fix that.

No need to get fancy, I built one out of pvc pipe, felt, and epoxy for about $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
all these bad rolls confirm it, right? Well no, not really. It's just that the ones that do confirm it are the ones that get noticed.

Oh yeah? In my solitaire game of Forgotten Souls, my ratio of rolling X was heroes 100%, monsters 0%. I lost by the 3rd room. RNJesus is real, and he rides a dinosaur.

zaltyre wrote:
No need to get fancy, I built one out of pvc pipe, felt, and epoxy for about $10.

Or you could just put the dice in a plastic glass. It's really fun to shake the glass vigorously and then slam it open-end down on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Terry
msg tools
I'm not the sort that believe in bad luck or the universe being out to get you but he really makes me wonder. Even when other people roll for him, the rolls stink. Now he has had sessions where he's done OK and even one where he did well, but normally he just get's awful rolls.

Thing is I'm OK with someone being the "bad luck guy" and in other games he's normally OK with it but lately he's gotten to the point where after the first bad roll session that reduces his life to low levels he just pulls out his phone and stops caring about the game entirely, grumps about it, and it's starting to affect the group morale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fracturedorb wrote:
I'm not the sort that believe in bad luck or the universe being out to get you but he really makes me wonder. Even when other people roll for him, the rolls stink. Now he has had sessions where he's done OK and even one where he did well, but normally he just get's awful rolls.

Thing is I'm OK with someone being the "bad luck guy" and in other games he's normally OK with it but lately he's gotten to the point where after the first bad roll session that reduces his life to low levels he just pulls out his phone and stops caring about the game entirely, grumps about it, and it's starting to affect the group morale.

Aside from changing his rolling method (dice tower, etc), I think the best thing to do (as said previously) is to either:

1) give him a character who is all about rerolls or roll advantage. He expects to roll poorly, so his character can compensate for that. I recommend you look at:
Reynhart the Worthy
Lindel
Prophet class
Champion Class
Thief Class
Wildlander Class
Arvel Worldwalker

2) Give him a character who can sidestep rolls alltogether sometimes.
Skirmisher class: Unstoppable
Trenloe the Strong
Lindel
Laurel of Bloodwood
Karnon
Beastmaster class: Shadow Hunter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fracturedorb wrote:

Sounds like someone I wouldn't want at my game sessions. Is there any special reason why you are inviting him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.