$20.00
Dirk S
Belgium
Hasselt
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally know Alchemists and Mansions of Madness 2nd edition and know that First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet is in development.

There are however already several others released and there will be scores of new games in the future that are supported by a digital app for smartphone, tablet or PC.

Personally I consider this an exciting development in boardgaming, others absolutely do not.

Would it be possible to add an "app supported" category or mechanism for searching, finding and investigating or avoiding these kind of games?

Thanks BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd call it "app required".

Otherwise, very many games are "app supported" in the sense that apps exist which "support" the games (e.g. to make random setups for Dominion or Kingdom Builder) but the apps are completely unnecessary to play the game and their existence does not bother anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk S
Belgium
Hasselt
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

russ wrote:
I'd call it "app required".

Ofcourse, as long as it contains the word "app".

Fantasy Flight Games calls it "app-enhanced": The Digital Side of Boardgaming.

edit: url editing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy James wrote:
Fantasy Flight Games calls it "app-enhanced"

Which seems as vague & ambiguous as "app supported"... (E.g. a completely unnecessary random setup app for Dominion or Kingdom Builder is also an "enhancement", just as it "supports" the game. But it is not "required", which seems the key point to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's tough to get a new category or mechanism added, but you can submit a new family. (See menu: Misc, Add to Database, Family.) It's best to try for a precise name and a definition that offers users some guidance.

There is an "unsupported" hack to exclude a family in your searches. Go to the bottom of the advanced search form for subdomains. A subdomain is a kind of family, so you can edit the results URL to exclude a different family. Look for the parameter, "nofamilyids".

Here's an odd example I cooked up to highlight the importance of definitions. This search selects games which support a single player but are not included in the Solitaire Games family. (What is a non-solitaire solitaire game?) I've removed a bunch of unused parameters that an advanced search includes by default:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?&action=search&advs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.