Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Kings Forge recently and was wondering if it influenced Smiths of Winterforge? They both have a very similar goal, different dice for certain actions and the hiring of apprentices. I was thrown by the box art as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shearer
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

King's Forge and Smiths of Winterforge are vastly different games. King's Forge requires dice rolling throughout the game to both acquire other component dice and forge items.

Smiths of Winterforge however, uses an economic system for purchasing components that provide certain dice for forging and then, when a contract is forged, it gives you more money to spend on hiring crew or buying better components for better contracts that get your more points and money, and son on, and so on.

King's Forge is more of a Dice-Building game whereas Smiths of Winterforge is a euro-style management game. The only thing that is the same is the Dwarven setting.

Come along to Oz Comic Con in Brisbane in September to have a play of the game yourself to see the differences

Dylan
Table Tyrant Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, played the prototype of Winter Forge. I found more similarities than just the Dwarf theme, it just reminded me of King's Forge a lot when I was playing it, as both games allow the hiring of people to help produce the weapons, both games have the goal of trying to get favor with the Royal family and there are different types of items one can make and both games require rolling of dice to finish the weapons etc.

Good luck with the Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this where the similarities end, I hope? Which did you prefer?

King's Forge sounded so great, the theme was really something I was interested in--I pledged for it before ever playing the game. Then had a chance to play King's Forge at a local con. It was very definitely not for me, which was quite disappointing, as the theme and idea were so great, but the mechanics...

Upon receiving my KF pledge, I immediately sold it, unplayed, still in shrink.

I am really hoping the mechanics here are much better. Smiths of Winterforge sounds very interesting and I am looking forward to the Kickstarter--mid-October, I believe?--to learn more about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shearer
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve. If you want to see how it plays, check out the preview from BoardGamingAtHome. You can view the video here: http://www.boardgamingathome.com/smiths-winterforge-couples-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.