Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In case there will not be any official solo mode, I urge all you guys that you would like to create an unofficial solo mode to read first Morten's Automa Approach. It is an excellent approach that leads to exceptionally fun and chalenging solo experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thank you! That will be of great help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome !!! You can find an Automa I have just created for Takenoko here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A thought about how an automa in FoG could work is that it should have a fixed starting amount of VP and before the player's turn to draw a card in order to just remove it from the game. The automa should not have a hand of cards or to build a farm.

So the whole AI of the automa would be to write the rules based on which the automa will select which card to draw during the drafting phase.

If at the end of the fourth year the player has more VP than the starting points of the Automa wins, otherwise looses or it is a tie.

Note: the automa does not earn more points during the game.

Based on the above you have simulated the impact of the actions the opponent players do in your own gameplay:
1) They draw cards that you may need for your farm
2) They have some amount of VP at the end of the game that you try to surpass.

What do you think ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdakanalis wrote:
A thought about how an automa in FoG could work is that it should have a fixed starting amount of VP and before the player's turn to draw a card in order to just remove it from the game. The automa should not have a hand of cards or to build a farm.

So the whole AI of the automa would be to write the rules based on which the automa will select which card to draw during the drafting phase.

If at the end of the fourth year the player has more VP than the starting points of the Automa wins, otherwise looses or it is a tie.

Note: the automa does not earn more points during the game.

Based on the above you have simulated the impact of the actions the opponent players do in your own gameplay:
1) They draw cards that you may need for your farm
2) They have some amount of VP at the end of the game that you try to surpass.

What do you think ?

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I was thinking of how to draft the cards so that you couldn't have everything. I've played recently another game where card drafting is part of it Spirits of the Rice Paddy and wondering if a form of that solo draft would work here.

I'll have to look at the rules and play a few games against my cat or something- kind of like Rahdo is doing in the video- and read all the articles you've posted and then think about it some.

Just at the moment, life is intervening and I've got a couple of RL problems that I have to solve... after coffee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Shogun
Sweden
flag msg tools
Haven't had time to read the automa page yet, but I thought I should share the thoughts I had on a solo mode (basically what I posted in the Kickstarter, John from there). This is where I was going to start, might not work, if it does work it will need to be tweaked.

AI = automa player.
Use the draw mode for a two player game. The AI draws cards according to the suggestions in the rule book. When the AI is supposed to take a card you discard the card of the highest value (if there are cards of equal value the AI favors discarding cards "for the year", e.g. The first year the AI favors fields). You alternate being the "starting player" just like in a two player game. At the start of every year (after the first one) the AI discards two equipment one water tower and one silo.

My greatest concern is that I don't know the values of cards, for example fields could be generally cheaper than livestock.

To win surpass X vp (will need to be tweaked from playing).

Hard to do too much without getting a feeling for the game. This is mainly based on what I perceived from rhandos run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Shogun
Sweden
flag msg tools
After having read through all of the automa threads it's obvious to me that a set amount of vp to beat is not really an option, it's basically the same as always beating your own high score, and I can see that getting boring quite fast.

The scoring could probably be based on the cards discarded by the automa, possibly changing game play so you have to beat the automa every year in order to win.

The next problem I see is that my approach will only mimic a two player game, where the interactions are different from a three or more player game, I.e. You can't say "someone take card x so player y doesn't get it". It could be argued that that part is not one of the core experiences, making it a candidate for being scoped out (as the original designer has in the two player game).

Final conclusion may be that the AI should discard cards differently, instead of making cost the main thing it could be that the tile "for the year" (e.g. Fields in year one) should be discarded according to cost.

More thinking to be done here, those automa posts are quite informative, thanks for posting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanShogun wrote:
Haven't had time to read the automa page yet, but I thought I should share the thoughts I had on a solo mode (basically what I posted in the Kickstarter, John from there). This is where I was going to start, might not work, if it does work it will need to be tweaked.

AI = automa player.
Use the draw mode for a two player game. The AI draws cards according to the suggestions in the rule book. When the AI is supposed to take a card you discard the card of the highest value (if there are cards of equal value the AI favors discarding cards "for the year", e.g. The first year the AI favors fields). You alternate being the "starting player" just like in a two player game. At the start of every year (after the first one) the AI discards two equipment one water tower and one silo.

My greatest concern is that I don't know the values of cards, for example fields could be generally cheaper than livestock.

To win surpass X vp (will need to be tweaked from playing).

Hard to do too much without getting a feeling for the game. This is mainly based on what I perceived from rhandos run through.

Hi John! Yes, that what I am thinking- I need to see the cards and play through a couple of games before I'll be able to really get a feel for what needs to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
In my head I picture the solo game being you against some "Big Farm" company/corporation trying to muscle you out of business.

- Automata will always select cards by the recommended chart on page 4 of the rulebook. You will play according to 2-player rules for laying out cards for drafting.

- Automata's priority is always to take the highest priced card each turn and with the following preference in type:

Year 1:
Fields
Livestock
Constructions
Buildings

Year 2:
Fields
Livestock
Constructions
Buildings

Year 3:
Livestock
Buildings
Fields
Constructions

Year 4:
Buildings
Livestock
Constructions
Fields

- When Automata selects a card put it to the side in a manner that leaves each selected card's type visible at all times.

- Automata will go 2nd in the first year. In each subsquent year the player, either human or automata, with the most cards that has the highest priority for that year will go first. If tied, evaluate the 2nd and so on. If still tied, Automata goes first.

I'm still not sure on the victory conditions yet ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.