Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly wouldn't expect show one show all as a matter of course, and not for a ruling clarification. There's a world of difference between asking for help on card wording and showing a poker hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Boss Monster, so take what follows with a pinch of salt.

I don't think the 'show one, show all' rule from Poker necessarily applies here, or to boardgames in general, or to anything much outside of poker itself (unless you are playing for money).

That rule is very deliberately there to stop specific types of collusion (both hard and soft) and EV manipulation in a semi-professional context where the only thing that matters is the value of the card and people's livelihoods may be on the line. There is no context in poker where something written on the card is ambiguous or requires clarification. Furthermore: In even halfway-serious poker there's an expectation that you should know all you need to know before you sit down.

No piece of that generally applies to boardgames, which are social activities, rarely played for profit, in which data on the cards (or other materials) is frequently unique, ambiguous and requiring clarification. There's also no expectation that you should know absolutely everything you need to know before you sit down (there are too many games for that to even be possible), therefore you're going to need rules clarifications at some point. Ideally, you'd always have a neutral judge, but "ain't nobody got time for that".

Yes: In some sense it's still collusion. But it's collusion with no serious consequences in a context where it's probably impossible to continue otherwise.

If you're playing for money, it may very well be different (but then the attendant assumptions about how well each of the players ought to know the game would be very different as well), but you need to bear in mind that "Show one, show all" is very specifically a poker thing, not a games thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the OP's story, someone didn't understand the rules about a card in their hand and was seeking clarification from the experienced player? In that case, most people I play with would not expect them to reveal the card to everyone. You could argue that it would be more fair to all other players for them to show everyone, but you could also argue that it's unfair in the first place that they had to reveal their card to anyone at all, so from the point of view of "minimizing damage" to the card-owner they shouldn't have to reveal to everyone. I would say "cut the newbie some slack in a learning game".

It's a meta-issue; they obviously weren't showing it for any in-game strategy or collusion reason, but only to understand the card's rules.

Most of the time in a case like that with people I play with, the person would have just looked in the rules themselves (thus avoiding the whole problem) instead asking someone else how the card works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understanding who was "in the lead" is not an important issue here. This is about people playing a game for the first time. Amongst a group of friends, where the owner apparently had the best knowledge, I would never have questioned what took place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're playing for money or in a tournament, those kinds of rules aren't in effect unless they're house rules, which should be stated before the game begins.

Long story short, you're treating playing a new game with friends as far too formal an experience. It's just people having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Showing a piece of hidden information (eg a card) you need help with to someone who you hope (in your limited understanding of the piece) it doesn't involve much (eg not the person you'd want to use the card on) seems normal.

Showing it to everyone seems massively weird. But then I pretty much never play games new to the entire group, maybe that has different emergent sets of etiquettes.

I guess I can see it for cases of deliberate showing as a gameplay/negotiation stunt (ie not a case of tech support, like it was here). Much like "all conspiring openly at the table please", one could restrict showing hidden information to all or none (if showing hidden information is permitted at all). Doesn't seem to have anything to do with this case though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't expect show one show all as a matter of course, and not for a ruling clarification. There's a world of difference between asking for help on card wording and showing a poker hand.

Agreed, what you are asking OP is quite unreasonable in the circumstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand where you're coming from, but it seems like a small thing to get worked up about. In Boss Monster seeing another players card isn't a huge issue, unless it was a curse... even so, I wouldn't think it's a game changer.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but in Merchants & Marauders, when you buy multiple goods of the same type you are required to show one other player of your choice the just-purchased cards to prove that you paid the appropriate price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gus Akuma wrote:
I am a board/card game newbie and I was wondering if there is a rule similar to poker's show one show all?

What happened was that a friend comes back once a year and it has become sort of a tradition to play a board game before he leaves. This year, he bought a new game (Boss Monster) and the four of us decided to play it. He read out the instructions and off we went. Long story short, I was in the lead when one of my friends asked my friend who bought over the game for clarification over the meaning of a card. I insisted on seeing the card he just showed. My friend refused and thought I was being difficult. He told me he has never played a card game with a show one show all rule. And since I was in the lead he reasoned that it was natural for them to gang up on me. I said that Poker has the rule where if you show someone your cards you have to show everyone.

I understand that some games encourage or discourage teaming up. But showing your hand/actual cards to some players but not to others? Is that a matter of course or is that cheating?
Yeah, you were kind of being a dick. The guy was trying to understand how to play the game and you were trying to rules lawyer him (using rules from a different game) into giving you an advantage. Not cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By you demanding to see the card you might have caused someone else that had a question about a different card to stay silent. If that caused that person to enjoy the game less than that's your fault.
Why not just enjoy playing games with friends? You only get to do this once a year so shouldn't it be about having fun and not winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.