Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

the card Migration of Serpents just told me to "move each Clue on the game board to the nearest Expedition space." i can find no definition for that in the reference guide, so am looking for confirmation of its definition.

Poll
The definition of Expedition Space is...
The (single) space currently containing the Expedition marker.
Any space represented by a distinct card back in the Expedition Deck.
      52 answers
Poll created by sgbeal

As "the nearest" implies plurality, and "each Clue" (instead of "all Clues") seems to imply potentially different results for each Clue, i interpret it to be any space represented in the Expedition Deck. i am, however, willing to accept some other definition if someone can point me to an official reference.

:-?

Edit/update: the correct answer, per references from FFG (see the comments for the links), is the 2nd one, but only if one disregards Expedition Cards added in expansions. i.e. the spaces designated by the base set's Expedition Deck are Expedition Spaces. A different wording (with the same meaning) is that the Expedition Spaces are those on the main board with a "polaroid-style" border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are expansion scenarios during which there can be multiple expeditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
There are expansion scenarios during which there can be multiple expeditions.

Implying a 3rd answer:

Any space containing an Expedition Marker

?

i own all expansions and see now that i have 2 Expedition Markers. i've not yet come across a case where multiple expeditions are active, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i own all expansions and see now that i have 2 Expedition Markers. i've not yet come across a case where multiple expeditions are active, though.

IIRC, a Prelude card may call for a second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

IIRC, a Prelude card may call for a second one.

That's very possible - i make a habit of not reading any EH cards in advance of encountering them in play, so i've never read any of the Preludes.

Edit: in this case the Migration of Serpents works in my favor, as 3 of my Investigators are within easy reach of the (single) Expedition space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
That's very possible - i make a habit of not reading any EH cards in advance of encountering them in play ...

Me too! I love surprises meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
"Expedition space" is any of the original game's named wilderness/sea spaces where expeditions could occur (nonwithstanding that city expeditions are now a thing).

"Active expedition space" is whatever space the expedition token is currently on.

Edit: Source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always assumed it's the six expedition spaces printed on the board (regardless of any added encounter cards from expansions).

The migration of serpents mystery came in Forsaken Lore whereas the prelude giving a second expedition marker only appeared later in UtP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
"Expedition space" is any of the original game's named wilderness/sea spaces where expeditions could occur (nonwithstanding that city expeditions are now a thing).

"Active expedition space" is whatever space the expedition token is currently on.

LOL: the poll is currently split exactly 50/50 on this, but the link you provide traces back to FFG and fits with my interpretation of "Encounter space," so i'll take it.

Thanks also to aurelian, who points out that ability to have multiple Active Expeditions comes from a later expansion than Migration of Serpents, meaning that MoS could not be referring to that particular case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

LOL: the poll is currently split exactly 50/50 on this, but the link you provide traces back to FFG and fits with my interpretation of "Encounter space," so i'll take it.

Thanks also to aurelian, who points out that ability to have multiple Active Expeditions comes from a later expansion than Migration of Serpents, meaning that MoS could not be referring to that particular case.

I can't vote, since both answers that are given are wrong ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has answered this question. It's any of the photo (square) shaped spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

All cards with a "polaroid" border are represented in the Expedition Deck. i.e. those are the same answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Anduin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:

All cards with a "polaroid" border are represented in the Expedition Deck. i.e. those are the same answer.

But not all unique card backs from the expedition deck are "polaroid" bordered, as soon as you introduce expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

But not all unique card backs from the expedition deck are "polaroid" bordered, as soon as you introduce expansions.

Good catch. i can't remember the any of the "non-original" Expedition Spaces actually getting an Expedition Marker in any of my games - i had completely forgotten that any other spaces appear in that deck (with expansions).

So... the 2nd answer in the poll is correct (or "not incorrect"), but only if expansions [to the Expedition Deck] are not considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
So... the 2nd answer in the poll is correct (or "not incorrect"), but only if expansions [to the Expedition Deck] are not considered.

exactly! But with expansions it's important to note that "Rome" for example is NOT an expedition space even though there are Rome expeditions now in the expedition deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Look, this question came up before. The lead game designer answered. Her answer is that expedition spaces are the ones with the square polaroid-style backgrounds. There's even a link to her response above (well, it's a link to the official response thread, which has a link to the original time this question got asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Anduin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Look, this question came up before. The lead game designer answered. Her answer is that expedition spaces are the ones with the square polaroid-style backgrounds. There's even a link to her response above (well, it's a link to the official response thread, which has a link to the original time this question got asked.

yeah... why are you telling me that?
It's kind of the thing I said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still seems weird to me. Why would the Clues all migrate to the closest potential Expedition space? I think it would be a cooler effect if they each moved one space closer to wherever the Active Expedition marker is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Because stuff's happening in the wilderness, spread out.
And because Yig interacts with Expedition spaces in general (ie spamming cultists on them and harvesting Doom from them. Not much to harvest if everything went to one spot to easily and centrally be knocked out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.