Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schell
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under "Winning a Set" section the rules state, "As soon as five cards have been played on a single color terminal in any comination (for instance, three cards on your side and two on your opponent's), a set is declared immediately, and no further action can be taken until that set is scored."
In the example, the rules define these actions as playing another card, drawing a new card or flipping a token.
My question is: if you play a Bypass or Blown Fuse card as the fifth card, does the effect of these cards take place first or is the set scored immediately before the effect can happen? In the case of the Blown Fuse, when it is played as the fifth card of the set, its effect would discard an opponent's card and return the number of cards in the set to four and the set would not yet be scored. Yet the rules state when a fifth card is added to the set, it must be scored immediately.
I couldn't quite tell if these card effects are part of the "no futher action" or not.
Sorry to be a rules lawyer but it's an important point. If the effects always take place no matter what then the Bypass card seems overpowered allowing you to almost always snatch a "+" set when played as the fifth card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Yu
United States
el segundo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter - In short, the effects of the special cards takes place first, then scoring will be evaluated. A blown fuse card will reduce the number of cards on the terminal to below 5, so there be no scoring yet. As for the Bypass card, you swap a card from one side to the other THEN calculate the final score. I hope this clears it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schell
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That clears it up all right. Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yubm wrote:
Peter - In short, the effects of the special cards takes place first, then scoring will be evaluated. A blown fuse card will reduce the number of cards on the terminal to below 5, so there be no scoring yet. As for the Bypass card, you swap a card from one side to the other THEN calculate the final score. I hope this clears it up!

Wow, I always took that the other way. It seemed like it would be SOP to evaluate the card before scoring, which is why the rules were so specifically the other way.

So, the fact that the terminal has five cards triggers the evaluation, but you still finish the play before evaluating - even though the evaluation might be of four cards instead of five at that point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.