1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Cthulhu/God's War(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hopefully by now everyone here knows about the God's War. Just in case though, is there anyone who is a regular here on BGG but is unsure of God's War?

Sandy is doing some really cool stuff for backers right now and there are a few things in discussion right now about cross-over content between CW & GW. Anyone on the fence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

I backed for $1 just for curiosity's sake, but I'm 99.99% sure that I won't bite. I backed Cthulhu Wars onslaught I & II, which I have yet to play enough of, and there are just too many good area control games coming out for me to justify purchasing this one given the price tag (most recent ones of interest: Inis and Cry Havoc).

Also, the theme for this one just isn't doing much for me. That being said, if this game had come out before Cthulhu Wars I'd probably have it and would be passing on Cthulhu Wars.

I still hope the game is a success in order to keep Sandy's company going strong...I'm curious about what's coming down the pipeline. I'd love to see something more grounded in history and/or Greek & Roman mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
I can understand that. Actually, before the KS launched I wasn't really interested because the theme didn't grab me. I really love historical mythology but I originally felt that Glorantha was this big complex thing that I had already missed the boat for.

That's the fun in God's War though. It's a "Beginning of Time, What If-" scenario. I enjoyed not having to know every detail of the lore already to understand the premise that this is a war of creation. Also, there is quite a bit of influence from historical mythology in Glorantha and the God's War.

Ultimately, if you aren't able to get the people together to play then that's a tough sell. I'm actually in the same boat but Cthulhu Wars has been the one gem that has been able to turn hardcore gamer friends onto tabletop stuff at all (due to the increased depth and complexity). So with that, I'll be doubling down with the God's War to suck more friends into the tabletop goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the pricetag of CW and GW, they are in my opinion to similar to have both. And I already went all-in on CW.

I will pass on GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

I backed for $1 just for curiosity's sake, but I'm 99.99% sure that I won't bite. I backed Cthulhu Wars onslaught I & II, which I have yet to play enough of, and there are just too many good area control games coming out for me to justify purchasing this one given the price tag (most recent ones of interest: Inis and Cry Havoc).

Also, the theme for this one just isn't doing much for me. That being said, if this game had come out before Cthulhu Wars I'd probably have it and would be passing on Cthulhu Wars.

I still hope the game is a success in order to keep Sandy's company going strong...I'm curious about what's coming down the pipeline. I'd love to see something more grounded in history and/or Greek & Roman mythology.

Same boat. I love Cthulhu Wars. It really scratches my itch for a large fast paced area control game. Also it takes up huge real estate in my game room.

Gods War is similar enough that I have no interest in figuring out how to store this behemoth next to Cthulhu Wars, nor will it hit the table enough to justify its cost.

Glorantha is a niche theme. While it seems somewhat interesting, I'm not interested enough to read through all the background material. The sculpts are really hit or miss in the game with some I would love to just buy separately and others I would never touch.

The game play looks interesting and that is the strongest recommendation for the game to me. I like the mechanics and how they are tweaked from the CW model.

But at the end of the day, for the size of the game, effort to transport, space it will take on the shelf, and cost, why wouldn't I just pick Cthulhu Wars every time? It's not different enough for me to justify a second similar game. Maybe down the road when I have explored all the CW content. It's like PG is asking me to buy a Corvette when I already own a Viper. I already have one expensive sports car, 2 doesn't do me any good unless I just like collecting sports cars. If I had unlimited money, maybe, but not at this time.

And then there's the teased next kickstarter by PG. The demon looking creature and teased promise of a game, not based on the CW engine. I prefer to save my money for that. Now if PG wants to give us more info on that project and it looks like I won't like it (Which I doubt) then I might take a second look at Gods War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
snorman wrote:
[q="Ruinaes"]Anyone on the fence?

But at the end of the day, for the size of the game, effort to transport, space it will take on the shelf, and cost, why wouldn't I just pick Cthulhu Wars every time? It's not different enough for me to justify a second similar game. Maybe down the road when I have explored all the CW content. It's like PG is asking me to buy a Corvette when I already own a Viper. I already have one expensive sports car, 2 doesn't do me any good unless I just like collecting sports cars. If I had unlimited money, maybe, but not at this time.

I would say that the gameplay is probably the biggest draw for me. Same engine at it's core, but very different style. I like Sandy's comparison that while Cthulhu Wars is like a back alley knife fight, God's War is more of a formal duel.

The best example I can think of is how the Sky faction can win without ever attacking anyone. Diplomacy and empire building can be just as valuable. That is quite different from CW.

Two quick side notes.

*I'm also very excited for the next game, I love co-op the most!

** I was also thinking that if you wanted extra bling for CW, the God's War dice are pretty cool and function the same way. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
snorman wrote:
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

Same boat. I love Cthulhu Wars. It really scratches my itch for a large fast paced area control game. Also it takes up huge real estate in my game room.

Gods War is similar enough that I have no interest in figuring out how to store this behemoth next to Cthulhu Wars, nor will it hit the table enough to justify its cost.

Glorantha is a niche theme. While it seems somewhat interesting, I'm not interested enough to read through all the background material. The sculpts are really hit or miss in the game with some I would love to just buy separately and others I would never touch.

The game play looks interesting and that is the strongest recommendation for the game to me. I like the mechanics and how they are tweaked from the CW model.

And then there's the teased next kickstarter by PG. The demon looking creature and teased promise of a game, not based on the CW engine. I prefer to save my money for that. Now if PG wants to give us more info on that project and it looks like I won't like it (Which I doubt) then I might take a second look at Gods War.

This is the biggest thing for me too. I think, while I love PG, God's War may have been a slight miscalculation being so close to CW. I can afford and tolerate having similar smaller games in my collection because they're so much cheaper and smaller. I store Cthulhu Wars in a small scrapbooking cabinet (and it's full BEFORE OS2 has arrived). I can't really justify having two of those for such similar games to myself.

Additionally, while I love the big figures of CW, I feel like for GW the Petersons should have gone with great quality sculpts on a much smaller scale. There has been a lot of interest in a smaller version of CW. GW could have been a way for them to kind of give people a similar game at a much smaller footprint and price tag. I was kind of surprised because we'd been hearing that GW would be cheaper than CW, that it was basically nominally cheaper and $50 isn't much when you're spending 10 times that.

I may have gone for a similarly expensive game with amazing figures if the game was really different, but it has so many similarities with CW, not just rules ones because there are obvious differences, but they're similarly styled games, similar playtimes and player counts etc.

I'm not sure which one I would like better, CW or GW. I think that I actually prefer the rules for GW, but like the CW theme better. However, I'm not going to purchase another game this expensive that is directly in competition with CW for me.

And before someone jumps in and says, "THEY'RE SO DIFFERENT!!!" I know there are rules differences and such. But they would be directly competing for playtime for me and like 4 other people in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
All fair points. I really just wanted to open a discussion about it.

Has anyone here played the PnP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
snorman wrote:
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

This is the biggest thing for me too. I think, while I love PG, God's War may have been a slight miscalculation being so close to CW. I can afford and tolerate having similar smaller games in my collection because they're so much cheaper and smaller. I store Cthulhu Wars in a small scrapbooking cabinet (and it's full BEFORE OS2 has arrived). I can't really justify having two of those for such similar games to myself.

Additionally, while I love the big figures of CW, I feel like for GW the Petersons should have gone with great quality sculpts on a much smaller scale. There has been a lot of interest in a smaller version of CW. GW could have been a way for them to kind of give people a similar game at a much smaller footprint and price tag. I was kind of surprised because we'd been hearing that GW would be cheaper than CW, that it was basically nominally cheaper and $50 isn't much when you're spending 10 times that.

I may have gone for a similarly expensive game with amazing figures if the game was really different, but it has so many similarities with CW, not just rules ones because there are obvious differences, but they're similarly styled games, similar playtimes and player counts etc.

I'm not sure which one I would like better, CW or GW. I think that I actually prefer the rules for GW, but like the CW theme better. However, I'm not going to purchase another game this expensive that is directly in competition with CW for me.

And before someone jumps in and says, "THEY'RE SO DIFFERENT!!!" I know there are rules differences and such. But they would be directly competing for playtime for me and like 4 other people in this thread.

I'll add a +1 on top of everything Jason and Kolby have said.
I also don't relish the idea of jumping into another huge KS when I'm still waiting on the goods from CW OS2. That's not a reflection on the Peteresens,but more that it will take me some time to play through the CW stuff once it does arrive,and this has led me to realise that I could probably afford to be a bit more sensible/frugal in my board game purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I went pretty heavy into CW, so was planning to pass on Gods War. But the more I read and looked at the rules and ... went all in.

And the design corners that have come out since I backed are making me feel good about my choice. For instance, from https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/the-gods-war...:

Quote:
The Earth faction has more units than any other faction. Most factions (as always, Chaos & Invisible God are the big exceptions) have 4 Minions, 1 Hero, 3 Lesser Gods, and 1 Greater God. Earth has the same 4 Minions & 1 Hero, but then she goes haywire, with no less than 7 Lesser Gods and 2 Greater Gods.

Her Lesser Gods are the Earth Queens, and they are a central part of her strategy. She has 1 Earth Queen for each possible enemy faction, and they are colored differently according to that faction. The Sky Queen is yellow, for instance. Of course, they all have a green base, so you can tell their origin.

They work like this. When you summon an Earth Queen that “belongs” to an in-play enemy faction, he takes control of that Queen. It’s his unit for the rest of the game. Don’t worry too much though, her combat is 0 vs. Earth (it’s 1 vs. other players, so she's as good as the other Lesser Gods). When you summon an Earth Queen that “belongs” to a faction that is NOT in your game, then it stays under Earth’s control.

More importantly, you earn 1 Power in the Power phase for each Earth Queen you’ve married off – the spouse also earns 1 Power. For example, if Earth has summoned the Chaos & Dark Queens, the Chaos and Darkness players each earn 1 Power in the Power phase, and Earth earns 2 Power. If Earth summoned the Sky Queen, and the Sky faction wasn’t in the game, no one would get any power for her, but also she’d be a useful Combat 1 unit for Earth.

Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Glorantha fan by any stretch (just heard about it recently) but God's War is a more epic use of the Cthulhu Wars engine with distinctly different chrome and asymmetry under the hood.

The factions in Cthulhu Wars were as asymmetric breeds of dogs are different. Sure a mastiff and a collie are pretty distinct, but they're both dogs. The only exception might be Yellow Sign which plays its own game with desecration and trying to be left alone. But in God's War-- from the start each faction is completely different. The Sun god starts in Hell. Darkness hit squads can ambush whomever they please and Chaos can smack their own pustulant hives up right in your backyard.

The whole idea of making the area control power base focused on constructing buildings and upgrading your units makes it almost more of a combat heavy civ.

For me the only two negatives are that Glorantha isn't my preferred fantasy universe and that it takes on average about a half hour longer to play than Cthulhu Wars. I'll take that extra half hour though since it maeans I'll actually get to use all that cool stuff I summoned/built.

In summary God's War is a must buy if:

-You sometimes wish there was more long term strategy and complexity to Cthulhu Wars.

-You liked the mythologic themes of clashing gods in Cyclades and Kemet but they felt too gamey and limited in scope.

-Your gaming group has Cthulhu-fatigue, Star Wars-fatigue, zombie-fatigue or historic reenactment-fatigue or viking-fatigue (although there is a vikingesque faction).

-You want to unleash your inner narcissistic diety and reshape the world in your image.

-You want a well balanced, thoroughly playtested game that happens to have premium components and is a lot of fun too (pretty rare these days at any price tag).

Edit: Oh, in case it wasn't clear I went all in. Have the Cthulhu Wars base game and have played about 20 times and Onslaught 2 is on the way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the two, I would pick Gods War, but I'm already all in on Cthulhu Wars. I just don't have the storage space and don't get the table-time to justify the expense of Gods War too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mohammed
msg tools
I'll be getting all factions and the expansion that is very different from CW, and also offers huge miniatures. It is the Monsters expansion, Sandy might even do a cross over with the Monsters expansion and CW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
While I would love to own both games, like many have already commented, they are similar and I already own ALL of CW. With a gaming group that meets once a month this game would compete with CW for tabletop plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
snorman wrote:
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

Like Kolby, i was very 50-50 to know whether i will be in or out. So let's see what makes or doesn't make the decision...

CONS:
1/ The price: even cheaper than CW, it remains very expensive. And my feeling is that a part of the cause is the sort of stubborness to produce minis so big that some of them appear to be more statuettes than minis (what is really the point to have a 10 cm Cthulhu than a 17 cm one ??? The feeling to have a big one ?? 10 cm is sufficient). And don't say me that spending 500 USD CW or GW is worth more than 500 USD in other boardgames. I can make you a list of jaw-dropping games that you will still play in the 20 coming years with a 500 USD budget...

2/ The congestion due to the size of the minis. The paradox of CW is that i like the advanced game with the expansions map, the neutral GOO and monsters but if you want to move CW, just to move the base game is really a pain... And because again of the stubborness of PG, GW seems to have the same problem. It will be a little bit lighter but compared to CMON games, it will be clearly much heavier while i almost think the "big", Wooo " effect is just a short term effect that fades away while the good mechanic of the game, the over-all thematic of the game just make you to love the game in the long term. I don't like to say that but sometimes, i dream CW and GW could have been produced by CMON or another company: we would have had relevant sized minis without sacrifying the quality (look at the minis of Blood Rage !!! )

But should we drag Sandy and his family to the stake for this ???

PROs:

1/ GW and CW are in fact NOT the same games: Having played a lot CW and very few. Clearly GW isn't played like CW. The few changes of rules in the core system just do a lot for that. Moreover i think the neutral units are just much better integrated in the game than in CW where -as i stated multiple times in the CW forum- the neutral units are for sale like in a slave market. In GW, the last information from Petersen Games clearly show that the neutral units aren't slave for sale but units to be controlled by diplo or real neutral entities that you must play with with and that can unravel other factions. Neutral chaos entities enter when the Chaos Rift opens and Cosmic entities appear after it closes. Thematically it fits perfect and congrats to Sandy that just saves his family from the stake just for this simple design ideas (i have just one simple idea to improve this mechanism but it's another and i will for the definitive version of the rule to propose or not my variant). After that, just keep in mind that recycling a game system isn't a drawback. A lot of game series does that and nobody tell the designers that it is too much. Actually the CW system is simple and works well, and as it is simple it can be twisted very easily. The counter-example - and i assume this opinion- is the COIN serie of GMT games that is declined to a lot of historical theater while this system is not so relevant or even funny (my biggest disappointment is "A Fire in the LAke" that is boring and long to say the least...note that i like Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre)

2/ The universe of glorantha is unique, original and interesting and GW could be the first game to achieve the goal to be a very good game on it (forget Dragon Pass, it is much more complex and it look likes a not so good old school hard core wargame with a nice gloranthan varnish on it).

3/ Petersen Games seems to learn from their errors and so the boxes are promised to be smaller with a smaller weight so that we could potentially move the game without a SUV (we will probably end with a core bow as big as the first edition of Rune wars but hey, it's a little better than the CW's one. The Petersen Target should be the size of the Star Wars Rebellion's box; perfect, well balanced game with small but nice and high quality minis.) Also the internal organization of the game boxes will be much nearer from the CMON standard of quality so maybe the hell of the box organization isn't for GW)

So for me it is 51-49 all in so i went all in and the way the KS is run seems good to me with a Sandy making huge efforts to present rules and tactics.

Apart of this considerations, while i am ugly french very eager to criticize , i hope that Sandy and his family will continue to produce boardgames because i prefer to support a true family business than a big company's one that doesn't need funding by KS at all... I prefer to have Sandy to work on a GW like game or a Descent like game in Glorantha than on "Halo Wars 4" or on level design for "Ultimate Final Doom 5: the kick-ass revenge of the martian zombies from Outer Hells"...) JUST MAKE THIS DAMNED MINIS SMALLER AND PG WILL SURVIVE YOU, SANDY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unsure, for many of the reasons stated by Jason & Kolby, until I made the mistake of playing it at Sandy's house. Now I'm backing whistle

It does occupy the same space (brash components, 3-5 players, conflict-oriented, 2-3 hours), but it scratches a different itch, and ends up feeling pretty different.

The chiefs complaints I've seen with CW are:
- "The game feels a little simple", which I imagine is because it takes time for players to realize the depth of the interactions between the mechanics and abilities
- "This or that faction is overpowered", which is because it's not always obvious what you did wrong or what they did right (abilities being overcharged magnifies this)
- "Luck matters too much", which is similar to the above point, in that players don't understand why they won or lost, which might give the impression of it being down to luck

I think TGW addresses each of these, by being broader in scope, having generally tamer abilities, and being a bit more forgiving when it comes to mistakes and surprises. The audience definitely overlaps, but I can see quite a few players that have trouble grokking Cthulhu Wars enjoying The Gods War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I get that Adam and as I said before, I think the rules of GW would be a better fit for me, personally. Just too much of an investment for me for the level of "improvement".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
snorman wrote:
Ruinaes wrote:
Anyone on the fence?

Like Kolby, i was very 50-50 to know whether i will be in or out. So let's see what makes or doesn't make the decision...

CONS:
1/ The price: even cheaper than CW, it remains very expensive. And my feeling is that a part of the cause is the sort of stubborness to produce minis so big that some of them appear to be more statuettes than minis (what is really the point to have a 10 cm Cthulhu than a 17 cm one ??? The feeling to have a big one ?? 10 cm is sufficient). And don't say me that spending 500 USD CW or GW is worth more than 500 USD in other boardgames. I can make you a list of jaw-dropping games that you will still play in the 20 coming years with a 500 USD budget...

2/ The congestion due to the size of the minis. The paradox of CW is that i like the advanced game with the expansions map, the neutral GOO and monsters but if you want to move CW, just to move the base game is really a pain... And because again of the stubborness of PG, GW seems to have the same problem. It will be a little bit lighter but compared to CMON games, it will be clearly much heavier while i almost think the "big", Wooo " effect is just a short term effect that fades away while the good mechanic of the game, the over-all thematic of the game just make you to love the game in the long term. I don't like to say that but sometimes, i dream CW and GW could have been produced by CMON or another company: we would have had relevant sized minis without sacrifying the quality (look at the minis of Blood Rage !!! )

But should we drag Sandy and his family to the stake for this ???

PROs:

1/ GW and CW are in fact NOT the same games: Having played a lot CW and very few. Clearly GW isn't played like CW. The few changes of rules in the core system just do a lot for that. Moreover i think the neutral units are just much better integrated in the game than in CW where -as i stated multiple times in the CW forum- the neutral units are for sale like in a slave market. In GW, the last information from Petersen Games clearly show that the neutral units aren't slave for sale but units to be controlled by diplo or real neutral entities that you must play with with and that can unravel other factions. Neutral chaos entities enter when the Chaos Rift opens and Cosmic entities appear after it closes. Thematically it fits perfect and congrats to Sandy that just saves his family from the stake just for this simple design ideas (i have just one simple idea to improve this mechanism but it's another and i will for the definitive version of the rule to propose or not my variant). After that, just keep in mind that recycling a game system isn't a drawback. A lot of game series does that and nobody tell the designers that it is too much. Actually the CW system is simple and works well, and as it is simple it can be twisted very easily. The counter-example - and i assume this opinion- is the COIN serie of GMT games that is declined to a lot of historical theater while this system is not so relevant or even funny (my biggest disappointment is "A Fire in the LAke" that is boring and long to say the least...note that i like Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre)

2/ The universe of glorantha is unique, original and interesting and GW could be the first game to achieve the goal to be a very good game on it (forget Dragon Pass, it is much more complex and it look likes a not so good old school hard core wargame with a nice gloranthan varnish on it).

3/ Petersen Games seems to learn from their errors and so the boxes are promised to be smaller with a smaller weight so that we could potentially move the game without a SUV (we will probably end with a core bow as big as the first edition of Rune wars but hey, it's a little better than the CW's one. The Petersen Target should be the size of the Star Wars Rebellion's box; perfect, well balanced game with small but nice and high quality minis.) Also the internal organization of the game boxes will be much nearer from the CMON standard of quality so maybe the hell of the box organization isn't for GW)

So for me it is 51-49 all in so i went all in and the way the KS is run seems good to me with a Sandy making huge efforts to present rules and tactics.

Apart of this considerations, while i am ugly french very eager to criticize , i hope that Sandy and his family will continue to produce boardgames because i prefer to support a true family business than a big company's one that doesn't need funding by KS at all... I prefer to have Sandy to work on a GW like game or a Descent like game in Glorantha than on "Halo Wars 4" or on level design for "Ultimate Final Doom 5: the kick-ass revenge of the martian zombies from Outer Hells"...) JUST MAKE THIS DAMNED MINIS SMALLER AND PG WILL SURVIVE YOU, SANDY

The size of the miniatures and cost of this game are what is holding it back from being a smashing success in my opinion.

Blood Rage has the best miniatures in a board game and I think this game would be just as awesome if they were that size and quality. To have miniatures like CW is like having a lifted truck with big ass tires. It screams of insecurity (the lifted truck, not so much the board game) and is quite unnecessary (both the truck and minature size).

PG seems to have a great game here but the price, IMO, makes it inaccessible to a lot of people not willing to spend that kind of money just to have over-sized miniatures. There are too many amazing games in this ilk to necessitate $450 on one.

I still might go in for just the base game but would definitely be all in if the price wasn't ridiculous (I know, I know..."these miniatures make the price worth it").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no idea what 'God's War' is about. What I DO know, is that it has no place integrating with Cthulhu, HPL or Cthulhu wars. I view any attempt at integration as a 100% marketing ploy, and I'm not all happy about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ppayes wrote:
I have no idea what 'God's War' is about. What I DO know, is that it has no place integrating with Cthulhu, HPL or Cthulhu wars. I view any attempt at integration as a 100% marketing ploy, and I'm not all happy about it.

A lot confusion here, the 2 games share a same game system but HPL universe and Glorantha are not blended at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spent a lot on Cthulhu wars. I think Cthulhu wars and Chaos in the old world is enough for these type of "area control/vp/combat/use power points to do stuff/each faction plays differently" type of games for me. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
To me, buying Gods war is like getting 8 new factions, a new map and many new monsters for Cthulhu wars. Couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
ppayes wrote:

A lot confusion here, the 2 games share a same game system but HPL universe and Glorantha are not blended at all

Read this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars...

thumbsdownthumbsdownthumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
ppayes wrote:

Read this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars...

thumbsdownthumbsdownthumbsdown
Yes, designers doing what their fans have asked them to do is a horrible thing! How dare they cater to player's wishes and create rules (no mention of fluff tie ins that I can see and even acknowledging that the two aren't that similar) to use game components in more than one game!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be interested in knowing the amount of fans that are asking for a God's War- Cthulhu Wars crossover. I am heavily...Heavily, invested in CW and try to keep up on all the online chatter. I do not see the consumer interest in such a crossover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.