United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know that using the 1st edition stuff (or the expansions when they are released) will unlock another mission. But does anyone know if FF have plans to release more missions for the 2nd edition base game? Seems there won't be that much replayability with just 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify the missions are pseudo randomized so they are replayable, you aren't just getting four plays out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they will. But I'm guessing they will not be free. Two new scenarios are already announced for fall 2016, with the release of the 1st edition cosmetic expansions. These two will be free in any case but "require" the first edition or these expansions.

I Think its likely that future expansions also come with complementary scenarios. In addition, they will likely sell separate scenarios in the app, similar to the POD scenerios of the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Geiryd
msg tools
Vardaine wrote:
Two new scenarios are already announced for fall 2016

I've read about "Dearly departed" on FFG's website, but what is the other announced scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
g00fy wrote:
Vardaine wrote:
Two new scenarios are already announced for fall 2016

I've read about "Dearly departed" on FFG's website, but what is the other announced scenario?

It hasn't been detailed yet. It was just announced that when the expansions are released two new scenarios will be released at the same time. But more information about the second scenario in near future is likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
To clarify the missions are pseudo randomized so they are replayable, you aren't just getting four plays out of the game.

Well yeah, but it's just the events and layout that are random. The "mission" is basically the same though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first scenario seven times now, the second scenario three times, the third twice, and haven't touched the last yet.

Each time, I've had a blast. I've played it with new people, solo, and people that have played them before. With new people, I find it so enjoyable to watch them enjoy the story for themselves while I let them lead the investigation. With people I've played with and solo, it becomes a task of efficiency and seeing how the die rolls treat us, while still enjoying the plot. Sometimes we turn it into a roleplaying element where we act out what our particular characters would do, rather than what is best for the game itself.

I've also come to find that this game in particular is great for random investigators. When you know a rough idea of what's coming and what you need to do, it really becomes a game of, "can I use this mash up of random investigators to still win this game?"

Can I do this scenario that requires multiple observation and influence checks with these characters that roll almost nothing?

I've already gotten way more than my moneys worth from this game. It's brought so many people in my circle together, and everything from this point on is just icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quantum collider
msg tools
PeterM2158 wrote:
dugman wrote:

Well yeah, but it's just the events and layout that are random. The "mission" is basically the same though

Indeed. Take the first scenario for example. I still like it, but there is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
always a hunting horror in the kitchen, the key is in the study and Vanderbilt is the head cultist.
I haven't played the other scenarios often enough to determine if there are different plots, but if you've played the first scenario once, you know what to expect story-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quantumcollider wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
dugman wrote:

always a hunting horror in the kitchen, the key is in the study and Vanderbilt is the head cultist.
I haven't played the other scenarios often enough to determine if there are different plots, but if you've played the first scenario once, you know what to expect story-wise.

Actually
there is an alternate way into the last area that doesn't involve that key. Also one time the key was in a bedroom in a puzzle box, with no trip to the study. One less fight, but one more puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
quantumcollider wrote:

They're all like that. One scenario substitutes different npcs as the "culprits" yet the investigation is exactly the same. It seems FF is making no attempts to add separate investigation/clue chains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority. I've played the first scenario x2 and the 2nd one x4 and have enjoyed all plays. Each of the 4xs we've played Escape from Innsmouth we've done things differently and it's changed things up a bit. Different players change the experience as do using different investigators.

I see it no different then playing any other game multiple times. The objectives stay the same, but you form new strategies/ways to do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second scenario being released this fall is a reworking of The Dunwich Horror from Call of the Wild

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
ParisPink wrote:
I'm in the minority. I've played the first scenario x2 and the 2nd one x4 and have enjoyed all plays. Each of the 4xs we've played Escape from Innsmouth we've done things differently and it's changed things up a bit. Different players change the experience as do using different investigators.

I see it no different then playing any other game multiple times. The objectives stay the same, but you form new strategies/ways to do things.

First edition was different because the scenarios had multiple investigation possibilities by design, which are removed in this edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the four for now, just wondering if any one knew what was happening in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:

I think you are part of the vast majority to be honest. There is a small and vocal group of people ever complaining about the lack of replayability. The majority is enjoying repeated playthroughs of four excellent scenerios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
ParisPink wrote:

I think you are part of the vast majority to be honest. There is a small and vocal group of people ever complaining about the lack of replayability. The majority is enjoying repeated playthroughs of four excellent scenerios.

For the record I wasn't complaining, I'm happy with the amount there is. More than happy with my new purchase : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe FFG will add new scenarios to the app to coincide with the release of new content. These new scenarios will need the new content to be usable. I am guessing but that is how I think FFG will do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:
I believe FFG will add new scenarios to the app to coincide with the release of new content. These new scenarios will need the new content to be usable. I am guessing but that is how I think FFG will do this.

Yeah that would make sense. I'm already planning on getting the two expansions already announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
quantumcollider wrote:

If you have 1st edition components, this isn't always true. The component referenced in your spoiler can be swapped out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lovecraftgeek wrote:
First edition was different because the scenarios had multiple investigation possibilities by design, which are removed in this edition.

Call of the Wild is almost universally regarded as the high point of 1st Edition by those who played it and despite each scenario only having one objective they are the most re-playable. To me 2nd Edition feels like a continuation from where 1st ended up, which to those who stuck with it was getting better and better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting them to slowly add more for free alongside purchasable content.

I'd be happy to pay for more scenarios, but I'll also be disappointed if they don't throw us a few free ones (the price tag on this game was a bit high). I think technically nothing was promised though so nothing is owed in terms of free content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.