Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Matte board construction for storage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew DeBoer
msg tools
I've want to make a storage container for game components out of matte board used for photos. Does anybody know if it's going to cause any problems like fading? Acid content and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Well if its used for making photo mattes I would assume its acid free, and since its meant to be exposed to light shouldn't fade too much.

Construction and durability are going to be the biggest issue. Most people use foam core for game inserts. Its cheap, much thicker than most matte stock (more surface area for gluing), and can easily be pinned together while the glue sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DeBoer
msg tools
I figured that was the case and this was a stupid question.

I actually have a method of construction with fair durability for matte board. I'm not altogether opposed to using foam, but I have a ton of the matte board here, and if I can get away with it, ya know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
If you have a method and the board, there's not much to lose in trying. Holding it together while the glue dries is the hardest part.

I've made some inserts using 1/8" (3.175mm) hardboard (HDF), which is about double the thickness of most matte board that I've seen online (1.5mm). I'm not sure how dense the matte board is, but HDF can't be pinned together, but I've found using a couple of dots of hot glue at strategic points holds it together long enough for the wood glue to dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making some simple storage inserts with ordinary scrap cardboard, using good quality paper glue to hold it together, and it works fine.

E.g. Crafting a new tile holder for Kingdom Builder

I like the low-tech and ecological aspect of reusing cardboard instead of buying foamcore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a lot of matte board that I would like to use for inserts (mine IS acid free) and I'd like to see your construction methods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a guy who has built boxes out of a similar thickness of material: DIY Graphics-Wrapped Chipboard Card Boxes (Detailed Tutorial w/Pics)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.