Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oli ver
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
"You and your Ally can negotiate each single shipment, larger combined shipments, or even the whole Ship Troops Step as one block. Shipping agreements are to be considered binding."

Agreements made in the shipping phase are binding, but can they only be binding about shipping? The meaning of "shipping agreement" could be read either way.

That is, the scope of a shipping agreement could be limited to actions in the shipping phase (like consenting to spend spice or consent to ship to an ally's region) or could it also bind any actions agreed to relating to the Move Troops or Combat Phase?

We've been playing it that shipping negotiations can bind where and how many troops the active player and ally agree they will move, but we've just realized that perhaps we're misinterpreting the nature of this binding agreement. We wonder if an ally could agree as part of a shipping agreement how they will move troops, but only be bound by the rules to follow through with any shipping actions they agreed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I tried to respond to this yesterday but the internet ate it. Trying again:

The intent is that the shipping phase is a backstabbing-free zone, but the rest of the game is wide open. The move phase is specifically current player, then ally, in order to give the ally a leg up in backstabbing opportunity. You can't draft a massive treaty and have it be binding because you happened to sign it during a shipping phase.

To put it another way, all agreements made during the shipping phase are binding until the end of the current shipping phase, so only the parts that pertain to shipping are actually binding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oli ver
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I noticed the long example in the rules seem to support this interpretation and it fits more with the overall vibe of betrayal the game has.

If that's the correct interpretation, it strikes me as odd that the rules bother to stipulate that such agreements are binding. We found it difficult to see why you would ever divide up the shipping phase into steps with individual agreements at each step, rather than just make an agreement for the whole phase. Shipping is rarely ever even close to being that complicated. Given there is no turn order to the shipping phase, we saw little opportunity for backstabbing since players can move their cubes simultaneously.

I actually prefer this interpretation, but it will be a real change to how we've been playing the game for the past year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Mike's interpretation is correct. My players often were negotiating single Troop shipments etc., that is why it is formulated that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oli ver
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ha! Thanks for clarifying.

That'll put a fresh spin (for us) on your great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Machin
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indeed! Let the tears flow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.