Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent these to greenbrier but cannot post on KS as mine was a late Pledge.

http://press.greenbriergames.com/project_zpocalypse2/pdf/ZB0...

and update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/zpocalypse-2-defend...
I sent these in three emails so far.

I think this whole system is great and vastly underrated , those that play it enjoy it , the first new rule book improved the game for newcomers. The combat system could have been better to lift the game well above many other games which just focus on combat and IMO don't capture the adventure or misadventure of the theme.

Rules feedback.

Page 11. 7. q Spawn 3 Fresh Zombies per player - However Setup04 picture and all subsequent ones only show 2 per player = 4.

I know its an example but the walkthrough should be accurate , especially for those with ZPOC1 who are used to green zombies equalling 2 zombies.
Page 12. Top of second column Limitation - Last sentance should end with :-

....spaces ,irrespective of your squad's speed limitation.
I think you were trying to find a word for not restricted by. but unrestricted means without limit. You could have said not restricted to your squad's speed. Irrespective is a good way of saying ignoring your sqad's speed limit.

Page 14/15 Player example 01

5. With the way clear, Blue moves towards her second target. She spends 2 more AP to move 1 space through the window(arduous terrain cost

She had already spent 4 AP to move 4 spaces and she spends 2 AP to move the last space. It may be worth highlighting that you are not limited by AP spend for moving just to spaces moved.

Page 16 - Zombie Attacks Generally

I like the Fresh vs Green Zombies and understand you do not want to overcomplicate the rules.

The rules refer to the Zombies as individuals and I cannot see them attacking twice per turn , especially weak ones. It is all simultaneous , if a Zombie is adjacent to more than one player then the players should choose who it attacks. The Zombies are dumb and even the dumbest character can work with others. I have ZPOC1 + Aftermath and have never had trouble with keeping track of attacking Zombies or deciding which attacks who, in fact it forms a fundemental part of the table discussion and helps the immersion. First player would chose if all can't agree.
I will be house ruling this.

b]Rules Theme / Consistency - Opinion[/b]

Page 16. Taking damage - Why would defence be reduced by the attack - surely it should absorb it. As it is then recovered at the end of the night?

There could be a mechanism for damaging body armour e.g.

If a character is killed then the "armour/defence" should be reduced by the characters base defence and any equipment lost.

Personally reducing damage by defence but not reducing the defence unless damage gets through or a critical hit. If that is the case the Survivor that suffers the damage, should roll a blue die and reduce the defence by its value or the max of its inherent defence and equipment.

Then at Dusk step2 the defence (armour etc.) can be readjusted / repaired , if the character survives/ equipment still available.

Back to Rules feedback.

Page 19. Zombies are shunned by
the sunlight. Should be:- Zombies shun the sunlight. I don't see the sun avoiding the Zombies, even tongue in cheek it grates.

Page 20. Abigail's Day card's Trait .. Doom Tracker should be Doom Track. Her Night card has 5. & 6. switched round . The 5 icon points to Stats but text reads 5. Card ID: Identification number of the card.

page22 Armory Accessories Sports Pads 3 ICON shows a backpack - should this be the icon as per the text in the left column 3. Type e.g. Defence

Page 23
Unarmed combat the basic cost is 6. Is their a limit on how many dice can be used?

page 24. Arduous Terrain:

If players or zombies can only move 1 more space, they may move into the arduous terrain, but moving out on the following turn requires the additional point of movement.

......requires an additional action point of movement - also a marker may help e.g. -1Move or place a marker on move stat.
On reflection I would rethink and perhaps reverse this , maybe put the miniature slightly into the tile showing that it cannot move in this turn but only needs 1AP of movement for next turn. If you are halfway up a wall or clambering over an obstacle you are still in the originating tile. I cannot think of another game where you can advance beyond your move allowance and pay for it next turn. It amy be different but it doesn't make it right or good, I can see issues and when peopel are thrown by a rule it overshadows other rules and does not help with the flow. I can't see this making sense game wise or theme wise.

However how about adding a rule where regardless of cost and AP availalable they can always move 1 space unless speed =0 or the space is impassible.

page24. Search Tokens handy tip.

Those card boxes the bonus items, weapons and chaacters came in make great token shakers. Out all the search tokens in the same way up hidden side face down to the flap, close the box , shake , open the box with the flap acting like a little slope and gently shake out a few onto the flap. As the box width is less than the token width/diameter it cannot flip in the box. Saves alot of mssing about and table space and easy to shake.

Page 26 The Horde card

2 ... if none are in within
should read :- if none are within.

Horde Zombie stats

Different types
of zombies can take a deal variable amounts of

Should read :- Different types
of zombies can deal variable amounts of

Page 31 The Public Stash

How are disputes resolved for teaming items from the public stash ? Take in player order , one ast a timed or does first pkmayer resolve disputes?

Page 31 For the Greater Good - second column

to the public cache in exchange for to
increase their contest roll result by +1 per item

should read : to the public cache to
increase their contest roll result by +1 per item

Page 32 Basic Crafting Card

Junk wall mid destroyed on 9 or more yet on Page 33 it states 8 or more.

In the scrap trap example it states the trap has consumed one of the Zombies movement points.

The only mention of movement costs is for sandbags and they count as arduous and 2 movement points. In the example it looks like the Zombie has taken one damage and spent 3 movements 1 to move adjacent and 2 to cross it.

Why do you need 5 smarts to make a Molotov Cocktail , its a bottle filled with petrol and a rag cork. Also to avoid being damaged when you throw it you need a melee skill of 4 , this doesn't make sense.

Page 36.
If this is your first time playing Zpocalypse 2, you must begin by playing the prologue.

Where is it the prologue? Found it the Walk through Scenario - Please supply a link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jerry,

I was just looking over these notes this morning, will see what we can do where it makes sense, solid feedback though, thankyou for spending the time to review the book.

For what it's worth, Defend the burbs has been a very bumpy ride, but it's really shaping up into a fun game if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
Thanks Jerry,

I was just looking over these notes this morning, will see what we can do where it makes sense, solid feedback though, thankyou for spending the time to review the book.

For what it's worth, Defend the burbs has been a very bumpy ride, but it's really shaping up into a fun game if you ask me.

From the rules and campaign it does , hope the play testing bears this out.

Received your Email thanks.

Be in touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.