Subject: Plea for a decent rules video! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone video-y felt the urge to make a decent rules video, I for one would be SO grateful. The rule-book / sheets feel vague and ambiguous and the "official" rules videos are just awful. Sorry Patrick, but they are. They're aimless, poorly made and far far too long. There's surely no way a single 30 minute video couldn't teach the game just fine. Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Patrick says in (I think) the set up video, they were made quickly for Gencon and he will be working on more professional ones soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am talking to a film crew here as well as a few of the professionals out there about making one. I just don't have time right now with a full time job. I haven't even uploaded the files yet which I said I would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please consider hiring Rodney Smith at Watch It Played. A good video rules tutorial should be a given or stretch goal for every mildly complex or difficult to teach to a group board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney and I have spoken. He wouldn't be able to do it for awhile. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I believe 4 months was the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the videos last week while using the elliptical machine - it made the time fly. And I learned the game, so for me they were incredibly useful. Thank you for doing them.

I do think an FAQ document would be fantastic. There are lots of threads to browse, and even the official FAQ thread is many pages now. It's a lot of reading to find the one answer you need. You're probably swamped, but if a new set of videos are a ways off I'd vote for an FAQ document in the short term. It would help people navigate the vague areas in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone could pull the FAQ together for me I'd be happy to even rewrite the answers. Right now I'm just hustling from fire to fire and I manage the last of the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been assembling a Rules Summary / FAQ based on info from these forums and have posted it in the files section. It attempts to pull key information and mechanics out of the rules guide as well as these forums. Not for replacing the rules or rule sheets, but as a "quick start" guide or teaching aid for newer players.

You can take a look at it. I'll be posting an updated version in the next day or two (I'm waiting for a few key rules clarifications/rulings to incorporate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Rodney and I have spoken. He wouldn't be able to do it for awhile. I don't want to put words in his mouth but I believe 4 months was the timeline.

If this video ends up hitting right around when the game releases, that would be spectacular timing.

Right now you'd just be appeasing kickstarter backers and GenCon early purchasers.

Watch It Played would be an amazing boon to the game, and if the timing works out I'd say go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.