32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Best Game received for free rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Eichler
msg tools
So what are the best game(s) you have ever received for free as well as expansions. Like for birthdays, Christmas or just someone randomly giving you a game. Buying one for yourself doesn't count.
For example, the best games I have received for free is Cthulhu Wars and Smallworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Troopers.

It was my introduction to tabletop gaming as a gift from my brother Christmas '76.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend surprised me by Kickstarting Scythe for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Eichler
msg tools
That's pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Macao in a BGG Secret Santa exchange. Didn't really know anything about Feld beforehand, wasn't sure what to think after my first game, by my second game I loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games I have been given are Munchkin Cthulhu and Alhambra. I think I'm gonna choose the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Eichler
msg tools
lifelesspoet wrote:
The only games I have been given are Munchkin Cthulhu and Alhambra. I think I'm gonna choose the latter.

I think most people would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Container

Got it in a raffle draw. OOP, hard to find and loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite has to be Paperback, given to me by a friend for my last birthday. After that, Forbidden Island from the exact same friend the year before. He certainly knows how to stop my birthdays from being complete disappointments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Los Ranchos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945

It came with box crushed by UPS to my friend's house. MMP was kind enough to ship him another and I got the mintish contents of the first one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
Choo Choo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

I won a copy back in October's 2015 via G4GG raffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), and the handmade power grid modular were all great gifts for my wedding years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Haven't received (m)any games as an adult, but Battlemasters is probably the best boardgame I received as a child. It drew me inexorably closer to wargaming which would eventually branch out into more serious boardgaming as well.

Much of the Game became the core of my Chaos army for Kings of War, but I still often think about running a modified version of the game at a convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
I got Twilight Struggle in a games for geekgold raffle.

I got Agricola because a friend bought it, didn't like it, and gave it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

after that it was a Chess set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) Christmas of 2013. I married that girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to say Star Wars: Rebellion but i've not played it yet. :)

Probably my favorite is Fury of Dracula (third edition) though i don't get i to the table as often as i'd like.

My wife's would be Tokaido Collector's Edition which her brother kickstarted for her birthday at the Samurai level. As she's not a member of the board, i will claim it on her behalf. :)

Other then that, way to many to count. My family has been giving me boardgames for ages. :) i have a great family. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game for my birthday/Christmas.

I must confess that for several months from time to time I said things like "oh no, it's out of stock again !" or "It's quite expansive, I will wait January to buy it ...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I got a game from a fellow BGG person I had contacted him for a trade of Bermuda Triangle which is a game I played as a teen and had fond memories of. We talked back and forth and he said if I would pick it up I could just have it. That was a great freebie because I got to relive a game from the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Mare Nostrum: Empires for my birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best one that was entirely free (got it as a freebie when purchasing Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)) was Schotten Totten.

As for gifts, that's a hard choice. Either Twilight Struggle that my parents gave me for my birthday, or the twenty-year old, virtually unplayed copy of El Grande my girlfriend's parents had lying around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown to me, I accidentally ended up on a site for women. Had no idea what was happening, except they had a question about love and devotion. I simply said 'To have and to hold'.
I guess that's all it took because my answer resulted in a concilation prize. They sent me a copy of FORTRESS AMERICA. Really unexpected, to be sure, but certainly welcome. Those women were great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just won The Networks in the GenCant raffle a few weeks ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny Reb (civil war) miniatures rules from my wife for my birthday. MANY years ago. This is number one because my wife is NOT a gamer but sought out the advice of others to get it for me. 1988 I believe.

A close second:

My good friend Dave Jones (former owner of TimeWellSpent Games) game me a copy of Empire of the Sun because the outside of the box had a little water damage from a leaky roof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Dominant Species, which I won in a G4GG lottery shortly after it came out. It's become one of my favorite games.

I only put 1 GG into the lottery and got a bonus of Leaping Lemmings too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.