Subject: How possible is a two-player houseruled variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How workable would a two-player game be? Would it require major rules changes?

Also, how many essential components are only found in the base game? Could you play Cardassians v Ferengi if you have access to the expansions but not the main game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the only thing missing would be the dice.

the expansions should come with their planets, spacelanes, exploration cards, resource nodes and tokens.
but the exact contents isnt clear yet. maybe some tokens might be in short supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Dyksley
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Probably the most glaring issue with 2 players would be the trade agreements.

unless it was a race to ascendancy I don't see reason to have the trade agreements.

might need a dummy starting world so that it's not just 2 homeworlds you need to conquer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not sure the expansions come with resource nodes. or resource tokens. but they do come with space lanes and planets.

we will have to wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo See here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1623565/rules-used-two-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If you get a standard deck of cards, you could automate one of the players.

Example:

hearts = explore
spades = research
clubs = hegemony/invade
diamonds = something else (attempt to get an ascension)

Each player can use half of the Ghost player's command on their turn to draw a card. The player making decisions represent temporary pacts/treaties with the ghost player.

Shuffle the cards when you draw an 8 or a jack.

It isn't perfect, but you could make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
BluPlagues wrote:
If you get a standard deck of cards, you could automate one of the players.

Example:

hearts = explore
spades = research
clubs = hegemony/invade
diamonds = something else (attempt to get an ascension)

Each player can use half of the Ghost player's command on their turn to draw a card. The player making decisions represent temporary pacts/treaties with the ghost player.

Shuffle the cards when you draw an 8 or a jack.

It isn't perfect, but you could make it work.

That's clever! I would just add "if they can't perform an action, draw again."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
How possible is a two-player houseruled variant?
Yeah, it still needs quite a bit of tweaking. Probably add a rule per race to support the fact that federation needs to explore, Romulans need to research, etc. You'd also have to find a way to make sure someone couldn't exploit the ghost player (giving them first contact too soon, attacking with intent to lose the battle, leaving sectors/home defenseless). Another problem would be the ghost ships one player moved in to defend immediately turning offensive, but you could probably mark specific ships as locked in treaty once one player has moved them. Or maybe not. It would add another level to the game, as now you have to maneuver your own ships and make be suspicious of the ships you thought were friendly.

Either way it wouldn't be too hard to put together some automation and house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
im not sure the expansions come with resource nodes. or resource tokens. but they do come with space lanes and planets.

given the expansion is 1/3rd the price of the base game it should have the nodes and tokens.
also, since you will have more planets in play with the extra players, if you dont have more nodes and tokens you will quickly run out, certainly for 5+ player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

given the expansion is 1/3rd the price of the base game it should have the nodes and tokens.
also, since you will have more planets in play with the extra players, if you dont have more nodes and tokens you will quickly run out, certainly for 5+ player games.

these are both good points, i guess i was expecting a "player count" expansion to add the extra nodes and stuff for 2 players but if they were going to do that, they could put the space lanes there too. let me see how many nodes are in the core.....

25 production
20 research
18 culture

only the culture is divisible by 3 so im not sure how that would work. we will have to wait and see how they do it i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

these are both good points, i guess i was expecting a "player count" expansion to add the extra nodes and stuff for 2 players but if they were going to do that, they could put the space lanes there too. let me see how many nodes are in the core.....

25 production
20 research
18 culture

only the culture is divisible by 3 so im not sure how that would work. we will have to wait and see how they do it i guess.

I'd expect a low end estimate.
8 production
7 research
6 Culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it simply depends which planets are included, ie the number of nodes on them that can be built with a few extra to compensate for open nodes and for ferengi a bit more production nodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.