Hide
5 Posts

Rune Age» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My hand is overloaded with junk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
johnnyb johnner
msg tools
We've enjoyed playing Runeage, but we're having a hard time figuring out the strategy. Each hand seems to be overloaded with junk. We never get enough gold to buy anything big, and we never get enough strength to fight off the enemies.
It seems we end up with more influence than we know what to do with, and not enough gold or strength. Are we missing something?
Any strategy advice is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are usually cards that allow you to destroy cards in your hand, these can be your own units, neutrals, locations, events etc.

Get one or more of those and use them to remove low value gold or the "junk" then grab high-value gold and get the better units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Purge low-cost units by fighting and taking casualties (even if you can't win!) and purge 1-gold cards with any event or character that allows you to "destroy a card in your hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Red Hook
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember you can use influence to keep cards in hand. Craft a strong hand over a couple turns and you can accomplish quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Resurgence of the Dragonlords, use the Forced March card to get rid of your 1-golds. Ideally you'll get enough influence to get about three 3-golds, but if you can't get 5 influence, it's fine to settle for 2-golds.

For The Cataclysm, use Pillage. The only faction that can get away without Pillage is the Dwarves from the expansion, in my opinion. You can also get lucky with one of the stage II events that forces you to destroy card that cost a total of 8 or more. If you have a hand of a few gold and an expensive unit or two, this is a great way to purge your deck of 1-golds. And if you're lucky, you may get rid of all of your 1-golds and the Pillage card at the same time!

But you don't necessarily have to get all the expensive units. Last week my wife and I played a game of The Cataclysm as Dwarves and Elves. She never got her 5-cost Digging Machine (which she usually gets on turn 1), and the highest cost unit I bought was a Leonx Rider at 3-gold. We were still able to sneak in a win by the skin of our teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.