Hide
12 Posts

The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Regarding Manuela's ability... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Koh
msg tools
So today my group came across this character whose ability seemed a little confusing.

1. Does using the ability leave the City Action open to other Heros for use?
2. If the City Action is already taken, can the ability be used regardless of the City Action rule?
3. If 1. and 2. are both true, is it hence also true that Manuela can activate City Actions twice at one go?

Just some points to clarify if anyone has come across this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Stiehl
Germany
Biebertal
Hessen
flag msg tools
you should inculde the exact wording of her ability...
so did some homework (thanks to Tony Menzie's unboxings):
"Once per round, you may use a City Action without using your token (Mark yourself to show the ability is used)."

Coming back to the questions:

1. Without a doubt YES

2. Tricky i will quote the kickstarter description which implies that you can use this district with your ability, but you can use your token on another one, which is possible in the same round:
"For a Sniper, she's quite capable of resolving crises, but her true gift comes when taking all that the districts have to offer. Once per round, she can use a district's City Actions without actually using her City Action token. That means that she will not only be able to use a second district's City Actions that same round, but also that first district will still be available for other heroes to use!"

3. see 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Koh
msg tools
My bad, will take note next time.

Oh, right, the kickstarter description! I must have missed it amongst the slew of updates...that clears things up a lot. Thanks. =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My KISS read of the rules is the following:

1) Absolutely. Yes.

2) No. This is a timing issue. If the City Action has already been used, it's not available for future hero use, including Manuela. The City Action token marker indicates that it's effectively exhausted. While Manuela can use an action without using her token, if it's not a legal action because someone else has already that space, my ruling would be that she still can't use that action.

3) The tricky one. However, I'm a fan of not inventing wording or intent when the rules don't clearly spell that out. She uses the City Action without her token and then uses the same City Action with her token, getting it twice in a row. She could do this in a single turn's activation in the round if she wishes or over multiple turns if no other hero has exhausted it. Nothing in the rules or on her card seems to prevent that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One interpretation is that she should NOT be able to use the same City Action twice in a round. To "mark" that it's been used, use the colored markers the Sin player typically uses to mark effects with, instead of the city action token. Place one marker in the City Action space and the other on her hero board.

However, there is a contradiction I see with this interpretation in the Kickstarter note, which says that the first district will still be available to other players. Now, the first district would still be available to other players with any hero, just not that particular action that she had used, if the City Action space was also marked.

So, I think this needs official clarification. As the Kickstarter note itself only implies the contradiction but with vague wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except her rules indicate she marks herself (noting that the ability has been used) and not the board. There's nothing I can see, from a rules perspective, that in any way indicates she shouldn't be able to use the same action twice. One would essentially have to add that text in somewhere for her. Maybe that's the right call, balance-wise. But it's not what I see on her sheet or in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Augustine
United States
AUSTIN
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, she marks herself, not the city action. She can absolutely use the same city action twice, assuming she uses her ability first and her token second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProjectGSX wrote:
Yes, she marks herself, not the city action. She can absolutely use the same city action twice, assuming she uses her ability first and her token second.

Not to be a jerk, but how do you know this so authoritatively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:
Except her rules indicate she marks herself (noting that the ability has been used) and not the board. There's nothing I can see, from a rules perspective, that in any way indicates she shouldn't be able to use the same action twice. One would essentially have to add that text in somewhere for her. Maybe that's the right call, balance-wise. But it's not what I see on her sheet or in the book.

Sounds like the right call, then, that she only marks her own board. And thus that extra use of an action does not impact anyone in terms of using that action in the normal manner, including herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
icarusmustburn wrote:
ProjectGSX wrote:

Can you use the city action if it has a token on it? Does Manuela's ability say she can use a city action with a token on it? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
ProjectGSX wrote:

By the use of logic, I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
icarusmustburn wrote:
ProjectGSX wrote:

Can you use the city action if it has a token on it? Does Manuela's ability say she can use a city action with a token on it? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I think she can't use city action which have token on it.

Manuela skill says that she can use city action without putting a token on the city action space. But if there is already token on that city actions space players are no allowed to perform this action, whether they put a token there or not. That's my understanding

Also, this is one of the best skills in the game, manuela start first, use orbital strike twice and bum, it's really hard them for sin player

But I would say that she can't use city action twice in a row. Kickstarter description says that she can use city action twice, in the same round, not turn ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.