Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
So, GW have just released their latest version of the White Dwarf. Hideous model, £13. Here he is:

And from the description:

"Grombrindal, The White Dwarf presents the Dispossessed Unforged miniature in exclusive Grombrindal packaging, available in this format for a limited time only. Full rules for using Grombrindal, The White Dwarf in both Warhammer Age of Sigmar and Warhammer Quest Silver Tower can be found exclusively in September’s issue of White Dwarf!"

EDIT:

In somewhat related news, there is also confirmation on the GW website that the free gift on the September issue of the magazine is a Slaughterpriest with Hackblade miniature (retail £18).

EDIT: This model already has a character card in the Silver Tower app but they are including the card in the issue as well. Here he is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info

Is this right...?

+ "Free" figure with the mag, but no mention of a character card for him (you need to buy that in the app?)

+ Character card with the mag (likely cut-out of a page rather than a proper card?), but the figure is sold separately

Hmmm... think I'll wait till (if) they do any more proper boxed stuff.

We love the game, but still haven't been tempted to pick up anything beyond the box of 4 additional heroes they did the week after release (which was still pricey, but good value compared to GW norm). I stopped after that, as picking up odd figures here & there just seems like starting down a long dark road...

I could see it being worth picking these individuals up for anyone who plays AoS or whatever with the same minis.

I've got the promo cards, battlemage (but no figure yet), and Lord of Plagues cut-out from a previous WD (but no figure either)... was waiting in hope of Silver Tower-specific re-packs/multi-packs with proper cards. And I would have loved a pack with minis for the extra enemies we already have rules for. Doesn't look like these are happening though?

Still, I feel we've got enough variety between the heroes we have. And I think I'd only really be interested if there was a proper new adventure or whatever now, such as the big box that was rumoured ages ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Thanks for the info

Is this right...?

+ "Free" figure with the mag, but no mention of a character card for him (you need to buy that in the app?)

+ Character card with the mag (likely cut-out of a page rather than a proper card?), but the figure is sold separately

Think you might be being a bit of a negative Nancy, there

Grombrindal is their special limited edition piece. They have released him numerous times in the past in different incarnations as the company "mascot." His arrival this month isn't specifically a Silver Tower thing, but they are including rules for him in the magazine. He will probably be ridiculously overpowered.

The chaos warrior on the front cover of the magazine is an incredible gift. They were selling him for £18 up until now, and the magazine has a cover price of less than £6. That figure is actually a promo for the new game Gorechosen, which includes cards for eight characters by only has the models for four to keep the costs down. One of the cards is for this particular hero, so it really adds value for that that new game. However, due to the way GW's IP works, you can also use that guy (or, in fact, any of the guys from the Gorechosen game) in Silver Tower if you buy the card in the app. I think it costs 79p or something to get a new character for the app, which isn't bad if you are getting the miniature on the front of a magazine.

Additionally, we don't know what else is in the magazine. There are 24 pages dedicated to the boxed games, so there could well be some more Silver Tower content. We will know in a few days when subscribers get their copies. Plus, future issues may well have new missions.

As for other content for Silver Tower - the game is only two/three months old. I wouldn't write off any expansions just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Hehe! Nah, I think I'm just disappointed they didn't release the next expansion pack I anticipated

And I can't use that awful app, nor be bothered to print my own card versions.

Like you say though, the mag's a decent price, so I'll still probably end up getting it for the Space Hulk (long-time fan) & Lost Patrol content, and intrigue over any new Silver Tower stuff obviously. I'm just unlikely to go chasing down individual minis at £13-18 each to go with anything that's printed in the mag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Hehe! Nah, I think I'm just disappointed they didn't release the next expansion pack I anticipated

Pull the other one, your avatar is a picture of the world going down the toilet

I agree with you on the app. I don't like it at all.

There is a slim chance that the chaos warrior card is in the September issue. I'm not holding my breath, but hope springs...

At the moment, the only two characters they have printed in the magazine have £9 (plague lord) and £13 (White Dwarf) miniatures, which isn't too bad. And in the case of Grombrindal, I see the magazine content as more of a bonus - something fun to do with the limited edition mascot piece, rather than a reason to buy the mascot piece... If that makes any sense

I'm pretty excited to see what they are going to do with White Dwarf over the next few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I see what you're saying, it's all just a bonus over what we would have had.

I probably would have bought 2-3 editions of the weekly version, had it continued, if they'd spread the Space Hulk/Lost Patrol/Silver Tower out, so it won't cost me any more in monthly form in this case.

And I would imagine the card for the cover mini will be in there too actually... would make sense.

Either way, I'll still be watching WD releases for any content that interests me, as I have since Space Hulk got it's 3rd edition.

RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Pull the other one, your avatar is a picture of the
world going down the toilet

Ah, but should I reach for the plunger, or chance it on another flush & getting wet feet...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:

RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Pull the other one, your avatar is a picture of the
world going down the toilet

Ah, but should I reach for the plunger, or chance it on another flush & getting wet feet...?

Ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe fife
United States
charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I don't know, a standard Unforged in limited edition packaging seems a little meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imriel wrote:
I don't know, a standard Unforged in limited edition packaging seems a little meh.

I didn't realise at first it is exactly the same miniature they already offer. That's an odd choice on their part.

'Tis a horrible model too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up up and away!

Really, GW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kyle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Like most here, I am not too fond of the Grombrindal miniature. But I am happy that its another WHQST hero out there. On the flip side, I think the mini for the Slaughterpriest w/ hackblade is excellent looking. I hope they include a stat card in the same issue of WD in order for it to be useable in game.

In future, I would like to see hero packs similar to mighty heroes but with physical stat cards included. Or at least codes to redeem the stat cards on the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, my jaw actually slowly dropped as a reaction to how lame that model was. I think that might be a first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Imriel wrote:

I didn't realise at first it is exactly the same miniature they already offer. That's an odd choice on their part.

Wait, what?! Wow, a worse paint job of the same model, sold as LE... that's just, I don't even have words...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Imriel wrote:

Wait, what?! Wow, a worse paint job of the same model, sold as LE... that's just, I don't even have words...

Behold the glory:

Yeah. Gotta say, this is poor form for GW. Normally their models are exceptional, but I think this one is a mess. And as for it being the latest incarnation of the White Dwarf... Well, not really a patch on earlier efforts.

Still, I will enjoy using the character in Silver Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bell of Lost Souls published a sneak peek at the card for the White Dwarf. Here it is (as suspected, he's a badass):

You can get his Age of Sigmar rules there as well, if you want to check it out:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/08/warhammer-the-white-d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He's bonkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's a bit of good news for people who hate the app:

(Interestingly, this also suggests that the slaughterpriest on the cover is not one of the 8 original Gorechosen heroes, otherwise they wouldn't need to print the character card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The hit-points-as-skulls, and the fact they get increasingly bloody and messed up, reminds me so much of some French card game from my childhood (and of Doom). This is some powerful nostalgia voodoo they're working over at GW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breothain wrote:
The hit-points-as-skulls, and the fact they get increasingly bloody and messed up, reminds me so much of some French card game from my childhood (and of Doom). This is some powerful nostalgia voodoo they're working over at GW.

Reminds me of the television show "Nightmare."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Breothain wrote:

Reminds me of the television show "Nightmare."

Yes!

I guess the Terminators in Space Hulk are a lot like the kid in Knightmare...shuffling around slowly with buckets on their head, guided by an off-screen voice telling them "Turn right...go forward...forward...forward...oh god no!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
"I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run…to savour the trip along the way."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone able to tell me whether it's possible to print from the digital version of White Dwarf, as opposed to buying the printed copy and photocopying bits?

I'm not able to print from any of my magazines I get via Zinio, wondered if White Dwarf would be the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GEORGE PARASKEVOPOULOS
Greece
ATHENS
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TracyB wrote:
Is anyone able to tell me whether it's possible to print from the digital version of White Dwarf, as opposed to buying the printed copy and photocopying bits?

I'm not able to print from any of my magazines I get via Zinio, wondered if White Dwarf would be the same?

I can't answer about the digital versions of White Dwarf, but if you find a pdf or an image you can have the right scale easily.

For an excellent job, I guess you could go to a photo and copy store. But, if you want to try yourself you can open the pdf file, go to Print>Properties>Layout>Advanced and play with the percentage of the scale. After some tests you will find the right scale for your printer.

But honestly I don’t want more Heroes. I could do easily custom heroes for my games. 4+ pissing acid damage, and 6+ f@rt massive attack. They could do more than just put some skills for a mini. I expected more like a tile for your dungeon, or some rules for traveling, or a general store for items. Maybe a new enemy or a boss could do the job, but not this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gtparas wrote:

But honestly I don’t want more Heroes.

Maybe it's just me, but buying a £6 magazine and getting not just the rules for two new heroes, but also an £18 plastic figure for one of them, seems pretty damned good to me. I can't believe that many people are going to be complaining about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GEORGE PARASKEVOPOULOS
Greece
ATHENS
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
gtparas wrote:

But honestly I don’t want more Heroes.

Maybe it's just me, but buying a £6 magazine and getting not just the rules for two new heroes, but also an £18 plastic figure for one of them, seems pretty damned good to me. I can't believe that many people are going to be complaining about that.

It’s a great deal for sure and I will buy it too. Also I am happy that they finally put some stuff for their boxed games, and I hope they will continue with more. But I am more a board gamer than a miniature collector. I expected more depth for these games. For example, I think they have put a new mission for Space Hulk and this is great! That is what I want from them. And for WHQST they could put so many things. How to search for secret doors, how to retreat from a battle maybe, a premade dungeon with a map?, etc, etc. There are so many things they could put.

I am sure there are people who say “nice mini” and throw the rest in the recycle bin, but there are also people more interested for the depth of the game and want new ideas to move it forward. New heroes are not the way to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the fallacy with a ton of GW stuff is when people compare GW prices to GW prices. You realize what they're charging for a single mini, and some rules they didn't bother to print on cards?

WHQ heroes are super-basic, and it's nice that that allows GW to make a ton of them and give many of us some fun variety and a select few of us incentive for a giant collection for their fairly simple board game, but it's also not much additional content. Another mini-campaign, another mechanic, that would have been the sort of thing that impressed me. The eighth dwarf and tenth chaos dude, or whatever, is not really very inspiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.