Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?

How can it possibly be that it is cheaper to import this game from France than to buy from a retailer in the UK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has to do with:
1. taxes
2. standard of living
(3. possibly a French language version?)
But yes, very frustrating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Why?

This is taking the piss.

How can it possibly be that it is cheaper to import this game from France than to buy from a retailer in the UK?

Want to know why this hobby is struggling in this country? Here's an answer, right here. Wankers.

Mark you're one of my GeekBuddies, I enjoy reading your reviews, I'm glad to see you're gonna get this game too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Why?

This is taking the piss.

Want to know why this hobby is struggling in this country? Here's an answer, right here. Wankers.

Who says the hobby is struggling?

Anyway according to my FLGS the prices are high due to the exchange rate collapse caused by Brexit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Iveson
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices have definitely gone up in the UK since the brexit vote unfortunately. Falling pound etc. But I haven't seen any evidence of it impacting sales. Where possible in the past I have imported German language independent games and saved a chunk but the falling pound has almost killed that option. It does sometimes feel ridiculous that this is the best option. How much is it to get from France?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The pound fell by about 16% against the Euro, 14% against the dollar and a little less against the Yuan (Chinese currency).
So, anything made outside the UK has to be priced at about 20% more than it would have been before the Brexit vote.
I suspect that sales volume (the total amount spent) will not change much, but of course that will mean fewer games bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited my original post to make it seem less salty.

This is nothing to do with Brexit. It's cheaper to import this from France even with current exchange rates. It's not taxes either. And it's not shipping.

So I'd love to know why.

Why is it cheaper to import this game from France than to buy from a UK retailer? (Philbert).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:

Mark you're one of my GeekBuddies, I enjoy reading your reviews, I'm glad to see you're gonna get this game too! :)

Hi there! Shame you found me being grouchy :)

I'm sorely tempted by this game, but put off by the price, I confess, and have others in a similar genre which I need to play more of!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:

Who says the hobby is struggling?

I amended my original post. But the hobby - while maybe not struggling - still seems to find it hard to break through into the mainstream here, compared to some other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I check boardgameprices.co.uk I can see that it costs 72.33 GBP (incl. shipping) at Philibert and only 60.94 GBP at Meeples Corner. Did you, by any chance, mistake the other Version Philibert sells (VF = frensch version) for the english version? Because that version is way cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niddi77 wrote:
When I check boardgameprices.co.uk I can see that it costs 72.33 GBP (incl. shipping) at Philibert and only 60.94 GBP at Meeples Corner. Did you, by any chance, mistake the other Version Philibert sells (VF = frensch version) for the english version? Because that version is way cheaper.

Yes, the VF. It's basically the same product though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
New Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
The answer to this sort of question is almost always Esdevium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:
The answer to this sort of question is almost always Esdevium.

Partly. It may also be the weird market structure we have of loads of tiny online retailers. And the bottom line that British consumers, for some reason, are used to paying higher prices than other countries, and obviously like it that way, because they voted to leave the system that might have kept those prices down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of small retailers, and one big distributor. Not a good position for either the consumer or the market in general, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark, remember when I gm'd you a few moths back about when games made in the EU for non-EU companies but which are then sold in the EU essentially incur double VAT - I think this is an example.

On Philibertnet the English language version is 75 Euro but the French language version is only 50 Euro. They are the same product (sans rules book etc) and made in the same place but the key difference is the English edition has 'Academy Games' logo on the box, a US company. The publisher cannot claim the VAT back and therefore has to pass it on to the retailer who then has to add normal retail VAT on as well.

At least that is what I think may be happening.

This is an instance where Brexit may actually help UK prices as the publisher will be able to reclaim VAT on copies being sold to the UK once (if) it is outside the EU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
So while double VAT may be an issue, I feel something else is at play here.

While UK retailers charging what they think a customer base used to paying high prices will be willing to pay, might be a thing**, it doesn't explain in this instance why Philibertnet who do most of their sales to non-UK customers is showing the English language and French editions at such different prices.

**I actually don't think this is likely a problem, the main online sellers I don't think over charge the problem lies with Esdevium - as a virtually sole distributor to the UK market simply don't have to try that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Because Philipbert are also going with the ’might as well charge the uk premium' strategy? Because, for some reason, it works?

I'm not sure that's the case given that many of Philibertnet's customers for 'English' copies of games are not Brits, but other Europeans who pick up English copies as it's their second language and there isn't an edition in their own language.

MrMT wrote:
Why would gamesquest at first decide this was a 50 quid game, then up the price by more that 20% when they saw what everyone else was doing? Perhaps it was a simple pricing error, but it seems weird.

Gamesquest may have based their initial price on what they thought the MSRP would be based on what the European (non-English) copies were and had to adjust it after they found the additional cost of picking up an Academy games version - or they just priced it wrong, but the difference in price on the Philibertnet site is quite telling. This is not just an isolated example - where you see a big price differential between the English and French editions on that site you will normally find a non-EU company logo on the English edition, but where manufacture (or at least assembly) was in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.