Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas V
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm busy with my first play of DDaOB.
It's turn1 and I drew this card as fire card for the eastern sector:

So orange positions fire first, then purple and then green.
These were my landed units:

Orange fire:
Three hexes receive steady fire, 0507, 0511 & 0512.
Target symbol on the fire card is a circle, so 0507 is not hit.
Armor is hit neither (only non armored units seem to be hit).
As 0511 has more than 4 steps, it is a concentrated target and F/2/16 is losing one step.
Also 0512 could lose one step buut as 0511 is closer to the orange WN and the WN has only 1 marker (no WN depth), only 0511 is losing a step.

Purple fire:
Picture after orange fire (please note F/3/16 at 0512 should not have lost a step):

Targets can be 0507 & 0511, both steady fire.
0507 has not correct target symbol => no effect.
F/2/16 has not correct target symbol but occupies a hex with more than 4 steps => loses one step.
Armor endures no effect.

Green fire:
Picture after purple fire:

Targets can be 0511 & 0512, both steady fire.
Armor is not hit, Infantry at 0512 is a circle = possible hit.
0511 is still concentrated so also there infantry is hit.

Is my play correct?
=> F/2/16 is dead
=> F/3/16 is close to dead with one step left.
=> Armor is not hit at all

Thanks for helping me to learn this brutal game. One turn and nearly 2 infantry units lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused as to why your tanks with no numbers on them are still in the beach landing hexes. Shouldn't they be on the shoreline of the beach?

And why are the tanks with 1 on them on the beach? They are put out in turn 1, but don't come ashore until the start of turn 2.

Here's my video of turns 01 and 02: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/108741/d-day-omaha-beach/her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas V
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
Hi Ronnie,
thanks for your questions.

I'm confused as to why your tanks with no numbers on them are still in the beach landing hexes. Shouldn't they be on the shoreline of the beach?

A lot of tanks with no numbers were delayed to the next turn.

And why are the tanks with 1 on them on the beach? They are put out in turn 1, but don't come ashore until the start of turn 2.

For some or other reason I'd considered the first turn as turn 0 and saw turn 1 as the moment the reinforcements with 1 landing at the beach. Anyway, thanks to your first question, my question should be considered as turn 2 and not turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a couple mistakes in the way you approached this, but don't get discuraged! It is a tough game to grok, but once you have it down each phase goes pretty quick

The order in which the colours appear is not the order in which the positions fire, they all fire simultaneous.

In the early turns each unit can only lose one step, so there is no way that a full strength unit dies in one fire phase.

Armor is indeed only hit in intense fire hexes or when the card shows that a position can hit armoured units.

You also have too many units on the beach for turn 1. The number on the counter is the turn in which the units are placed in the landing boxes, not in which they reach the beach.
I.e.: units labeled 1 will make their first landing attempt on turn 2 (of course they may be delayed to later turns)
And yes, that means on T1 you only have a couple tanks on each beach...

EDIT: Looks like that's only a mislabel in which turn it is rather than a mistake of how landing works.

That aside, here's how this fire phase would play out given the units in your image:
The purple WN can hit 0507 and 0511. I/3/16 doesn't have the right symbol, but F/2/16 is a concentrated target, as you pointed out, and can be hit.
Yellow can hit all three hexes with units. Of course I/3/16 still can't be hit and F/2/16 can still be hit. It can also hit L/3/16 since it has the right symbol.
Green can hit both F/2/16 and L/3/16.

In this case both F/2/16 and L/3/16 will lose one step each, but no more.
If any of the German WNs can hit more units than their hit limit (yellow in this case) you have to assign hits from all WNs so that as many of your units get hit as possible. This isn't a problem here though as there's a combined 6 units that can be hit but only 2 eligible targets.

NOTE: Hopefully somebody will correct me if I've made any mistakes in the above, I'm going by my memory here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas V
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
Hello Niko,

thank you for your help and memory

I read indeed now in the rules:

6.34 Step Loss Limitation. A given US unit may not lose more than one step in a single German Fire Phase, even if hit by fire from multiple German positions. Apply the excess hits to other targeted US units if available; if not, ignore the excess hits. However, you must attempt to hit the most US units possible when assigning hits from multiple positions.

This is completely in line with your phrasing except for
In the early turns each unit can only lose one step, so there is no way that a full strength unit dies in one fire phase.

Why only in the early turns? I don't see that in rule 6.34.

thanks
DDaOB noob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVG01 wrote:
Hello Niko,

thank you for your help and memory

I read indeed now in the rules:

6.34 Step Loss Limitation. A given US unit may not lose more than one step in a single German Fire Phase, even if hit by fire from multiple German positions. Apply the excess hits to other targeted US units if available; if not, ignore the excess hits. However, you must attempt to hit the most US units possible when assigning hits from multiple positions.

This is completely in line with your phrasing except for

Why only in the early turns? I don't see that in rule 6.34.

thanks
DDaOB noob
The rules for the second half, turn 16 and on, are slightly different. One of the differences is a change to the hit limit.
It's not in 6.34 to avoid confusion, instead it's in the rules that talk about the changes for the late game. I'm not sure which section that is, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thomas. Check the rules for the extended game starting with section 14 (p.20). The part about the increased hit limit is in 14.12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas V
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your helpfull replies.
I didn't read later sections than 13, that explains a lot . I was already happy I could play the short game

Ok, another situation. Turn 4. Now it's up to me to fire:

I want to attack the green WN in 0811 with the unit with a Hero in hex 0712. The infantry unit is adjacent so I can call in support of some ranged units.

I know I can activate 2 units/stacks per division per turn.

1. Suppose there is no hero in 0711, I could activate the attacking infantry unit and some supporting tank fire from 0512. I assume this takes up the 2 actions for that division for that turn? Or is it counted as one action?

2. I'm lucky: I have a hero so the attacking infantry unit can attack for free. Does this mean that also the supporting tank is attacking for free?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVG01 wrote:
1. Suppose there is no hero in 0711, I could activate the attacking infantry unit and some supporting tank fire from 0512. I assume this takes up the 2 actions for that division for that turn? Or is it counted as one action?

Assuming no Hero then that would take the two actions that you get for that particular side of the map. Also, with a reduced tank unit you'll need to be lucky with the cards and get both the colour of the WN AND the shape from the tank unit to get a disruption.

TVG01 wrote:
2. I'm lucky: I have a hero so the attacking infantry unit can attack for free. Does this mean that also the supporting tank is attacking for free?

The Hero only gives a free move to the unit you assign it to. Activating the tank would take one of your two actions.

You're also lucky to have the Hero as he can count for a required weapon that the infantry unit may not have when it attacks that green WN unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TVG01 wrote:
I want to attack the green WN in 0811 with the unit with a Hero in hex 0712. The infantry unit is adjacent so I can call in support of some ranged units.

I know I can activate 2 units/stacks per division per turn.

The tank unit can't add its strength to the attack because it either needs to be adjacent to the target or to the attacking infantry unit, or one of the units need to be in command of a HQ/General. (8.1)
The tank could still do the barrage action of course, but if they did you couldn't attack with the infantry in the same turn.

Assuming your attacking tanks actually were adjacent to your infantry, then, like Ronnie said, it would take two actions to attack in example #1 and one action to attack in example #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.