$60.00
$20.00
Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
So the War Glyph item upgade from the Indian Trading Post gives the following bonus:

Once per adventure, gain +2 Combat until the end of the turn.

This is ridiculously underpowered ability to be used only once in an adventure and it requires 2(!) upgrade slots and 5 dark stone. This can't be right - it has to be an error.

It would make much more sense if it was either once per fight or intil the end of a fight. I put one on my Orphan's Butcher's Blade and I intend to treat it as "once per fight".

How do you guys handle it?

EDIT

Tagging
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regressor wrote:
So the War Glyph item upgade from the Indian Trading Post gives the following bonus:

Once per adventure, gain +2 Combat until the end of the turn.

This is ridiculously underpowered [...]

How do you guys handle it?

We play it as it's printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think if you can combine it with an ability that allows using your combat more extensively in a turn, then its use could be quite powerful even if only once per adventure.

they might fearthe effect if one would put it on several weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it looks pretty meh to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
i think if you can combine it with an ability that allows using your combat more extensively in a turn, then its use could be quite powerful even if only once per adventure.

Works good with other abolities is inadequate benefit if you can only do it once per adventure.

The Marshall/Sheriff Badge give you 2 shots to every herod and can also be used with ranged weapons. It's a starting item and you could get one at the Sheriff's office if you lose it.

My Orphan's Rage starting ability gives 2 Combat and 1 damage for 1 Grit and can be used once per fight. (and it can also be used to give you +1 shot with a gun).

Angelsenior wrote:
they might fearthe effect if one would put it on several weapons.

Where am I going to find 2 Melee weapons with two ugrade slots? And woudn't it be much more efficient to put two darstone grips on them instead?

Hell, for tw slots I could get a DS inlay and that is way better and is 1 once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Thomas
msg tools
I think the lure is that it doesn't need to go on a weapon. It doesn't say 'attach to any hand weapon' like the blacksmith upgrades, which makes me think you can put it on other gear. I agree that it's a little weak (2 upgrade slots is a lot) but it's the only thing you can get that upgrades combat but doesn't take a weapon slot. And lots of artifact weapons don't have slots, so it can help out there too. My Drifter carries the Trun Gladius around for funsies (he usually uses the Spirit Bow) but every once in a while I'll get the Steam Clouds encounter or an enemy that can't suffer crits from ranged attacks, and +2 combat with the big sword comes in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Regressor wrote:
Where am I going to find 2 Melee weapons with two ugrade slots? And woudn't it be much more efficient to put two darstone grips on them instead?

Trophy Shield, Cavalry Sabre, Indian Hatchet, Tools of Science, Bone Saw, Axe. Most of those can be bought in town.

Splitter has 3 and thus could have a Darkstone grip as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, you can't put two darkstone grips on the same item.
2 different weapons, sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Brendan pointed out, this upgrade does not have to go on a melee weapon. You can put it on any item, as it is increasing the Hero's Combat Stat itself.

+2 Combat is pretty huge, so allowing it more frequently would be overpowered without some sort of cost (like requiring Grit or darkstone to activate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.