Subject: This A War Game!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently Stronghold is listed as a Strategy game. Ok, I get that. It is a thinky game with some Euro'y elements. However, at heart it's a game simulating an attack on a castle. It's got orcs and archers and heroes. This is a Wargame people, not a Strategy game. Now put on your hauberks and go vote in the game type poll (it's to the right of the game description) and vote WARGAME!!!

Sincerely,
Grishnakh

P.S. There are currently only FIVE voters for Vurgovb's sake! Go vote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's just a boardgame for fun, not a professional wargame simulation.

You can't compare these two categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:

Wargames are not professional things, they're just games (for fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:

The last time I attacked a medieval fortress with goblins, orcs, and trolls, it went EXACTLY like this game. It's a perfect simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
agiorgitis wrote:

The last time I attacked a medieval fortress with goblins, orcs, and trolls, it went EXACTLY like this game. It's a perfect simulation.

Exactly! Oh, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:

He has actually a point there. I mean Wargames are really no fun, Stronghold is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, you're telling me that "Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear" and "Stronghold" are in the same category?
That both of them have the same audience?

No, they are completely different. I play the first one with my geek friends for real war simulation, but I play the socond one with my kids for fun, as a lightweight battle simulation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:
So, you're telling me that "Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear" and "Stronghold" are in the same category?

They are in the same category but they don't have exactly the same audience.

Advanced Squad Leader and Commands & Colors: Ancients are also in the same category, they don't have exactly the same audience either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are still only 5 votes. I have failed. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never voted on a game type poll before and I doubt I ever will again, but I found the link and voted. It seems such an obscure feature that the data isn't going to be very useful (there's a strong selection effect from who bothers to vote).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I've never voted on a game type poll before and I doubt I ever will again, but I found the link and voted. It seems such an obscure feature that the data isn't going to be very useful (there's a strong selection effect from who bothers to vote).

Obviously I was just joking around here (although I do think Stronghold is more of wargame than anything else) but I do find the game type results occasionally useful, particularly when searching for wargames, which don't pop up in normal searches because there are so few ratings.

However, I hear ya, I rarely vote in them myself. They're a little obscure and I think most people don't even realize the poll is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even popular and hyped games seem to often have no more than a half-dozen votes on game type. So it's always going to be kind of random, which is too bad (since I agree with you it can be useful to sort by type).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:

No, they are completely different. I play the first one with my geek friends for real war simulation, but I play the socond one with my kids for fun, as a lightweight battle simulation game.

No game gives you a "real war simulation".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.