5 Posts

Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Figuring out what I have rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cheule Siygess
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a recent discussion with a fellow gamer at my local club, we both realised that we had the B5 CCG but neither of us had really played it much back in the day.

I recall only buying the Premier Edition starter decks but when I sorted through my cards this evening I discovered that I seem to have a mix of Premier and Great War cards. I first thought the latter was an expansion for the former but now I realise it is more of a reprint. So now I have two questions:

1) If we decide to give the game a go, how significant will it be that we will both be using a mixture of Premier and GW cards? I assume the differences between card X in Premier and GW is simply the inclusion of errata?

2) Perhaps more importantly how can I tell the difference? I'm used to seeing a 'set' symbol or at least a visual difference (card borders etc) but the only difference I can see is the date at the bottom - 97 and 98. That's fine as long as I have the mapping and they only released one set a year.. but if that is the only difference I'm going to have trouble identifying the 'newer' card on eBay auctions and the like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few expansions apparently did not include the name of the set, but most can be identified from the printing year.

As far as I know, you can include any cards, and as you said, just keep an eye on the errata.

Also see http://b5ccg.mahasamatman.com/Lists.HTML for card lists per expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheule Siygess
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link.. things are starting to make sense now. In the light of day (literally!) I spotted that some cards do say Deluxe or The Great War, but what threw me were the cards with a 1998 print date that had no set indicator but I guess those must be from The Shadows. Cool. At least I know what my starting point is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is inaccurate to say Great War was more of reprint. There were a few reprinted cards but it was mostly new and even the starter decks were new options (The League of Non-Aligned Worlds and the 'Home Factions'). But yeah, Premiere (1997 date) and Shadows (1998 date) were the only sets to not list the name on the cards. Deluxe was the reprint, with only one new card (Rogue Telepath) and number of Premiere cards (mostly fixed starter deck cards, but a few others too) being cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the cards that weren't reprinted from Premier to Deluxe were the limited cards that appeared in the starters (so characters like Sinclair or Ivonva, locations, and a couple fleets). The other cards that weren't reprinted were uniques, so cards like Jason Ironheart or The Great Machine didn't get reprinted. There were a handful of other cards that didn't get reprinted, such as Level the Playing Field. Though, I assume that was because it was a 3 per starter, so you were assumed to have more than enough copies of it.

Some cards had fairly substantial errata. The premier edition version of John Sheridan is almost an entirely different card from the Deluxe version.

Technically speaking, this is errata, so all versions are assumed to have the text from the Deluxe version.

Additionally, some cards received new art when reprinted. Sheridan had different art in Premier and Deluxe. Usually this was because two cards had gotten very similar art in premier, and it was to make the cards easier to differentiate. One card (Kosh) had it's type changed (from Character to Group).

Generally speaking, Babylon 5 reprinted cards that would appear in later starters, and that was pretty much it. Mostly cards from premier turned up in the Great War's League starter (the opposing factions "starter" is really a boxed expansion pack, rather than a stand alone purchase), and Psi Corps' starter.

I want to say that the League starter included a card from Shadows (Prey on the Weak, maybe? I don't remember), and that Psi Corps included some cards from Great War, but I'm not 100% certain. I also think Psi Corps included an uncommon from Great War as a common (Dust), but otherwise, there isn't really wasn't that much reprinting.

Incidentally, some cards got new art when reprinted in later sets, so Level the Playing Field and Mars both received new art in Psi Corps. I know there was a card that was reprinted in Premier, Deluxe, and Great War, and got new art each time it was reprinted, but I can't remember which one.

Also, it's less definitive, but you can identify the early cards by their color pallet.

Premier has a grey, washed out tone. Deluxe has an increased blue/white contrast. Shadows has an increased orange/red/black contrast. Great War has an increased white/yellow contrast. After that they seemed to normalize out a bit. It's not nearly as reliable as looking at the actual identifying marks, but it's something you'll notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.