Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Enchant Weapon flipped side has the following text:

Quote:
0 success: All at once the magic vanishes. If you rolled any 1's, discard this card.

1 success: Maintaining the enchantment for extended periods of time drains your mind. Lose 1 Sanity.

2+ success: Your enchantment protects your weapons from typical wear and tear. No additional effect.

Then flip this card

Am I understanding it correctly, if have 0 success without 1's then the card does not have to be discarded, so nothing happens? What is the "the magic vanishes" text is all about? It is basically the same as the 2+ successes part? Does this make any sense?

If I use 1 die for this test, do I have to hope for a failure (2, 3, 4) instead of a success to avoid the sanity loss?

I'm sure I don't understand something correctly, could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first part of each line is just thematic text.
There are three effects, based on number if successes rolled.
0 successes: nothing happens, unless you rolled at least one 1 - if you did, discard the card.
1 succes: lose 1 sanity.
2 successes: nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you understand it correctly.
"All at once the magic vanishes" is just flavor text. No game play effect.
If you only have 1 die then there is the chance you lose the spell (roll a 1), that nothing happens (2,3,4) or that you lose 1 sanity (roll 5 or 6)

It's definitely a weird effect that the designer probably did not think about a lot. Or the chance that someone casts this spell with just 1 die is rare at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

Because of the Dunwitch Horror prelude card my poor Hank Samson started with the Enhanced Weapon glamour spell, so when the reckoning effect happened he was forced to do a lore check with his 1 die and then this happened.

To tell you the ending of his story, he succeeded the test, so he was really happy that he could discover how to keep the enchantment on his sledgehammer.

However he lost his last sanity with this realization so he got insane and started to wreck everything with his hammer until he was caught and locked into Arkham.

Sad, sad story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, if you get 0 successes, the normal effect of the spell does not happen, on top of whatever effect the back of the card says.

So really, the possible results on one die are:
1: Lose the spell
2-4: Nothing happens
5-6: Gain the benefit of the spell but lose a sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
Remember, if you get 0 successes, the normal effect of the spell does not happen, on top of whatever effect the back of the card says.

So really, the possible results on one die are:
1: Lose the spell
2-4: Nothing happens
5-6: Gain the benefit of the spell but lose a sanity.

The trick here is that this spell is a glamour spell which means it gives a character a constant effect throughout the game,you can't trigger it, so the spell basically always gives the benefit to the character.

This is why it was confusing that if the result is 2-4 (fail) the spell still remains with the character, so it will still function normally like nothing happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so it is. For some reason I remembered Enchant Weapon as being an incantation.

Well, then, yeah, it's just a little bit odd. There are a few edge cases where it can matter if you passed or failed a glamour's spell check, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably would have been better worded as:

0 success: If you rolled any 1's, the magic vanishes. Discard this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

But that would mix up gameplay and flavor. And there would be no difference to the before mentioned gameplay issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
randomlife wrote:

But that would mix up gameplay and flavor. And there would be no difference to the before mentioned gameplay issue.

I thought that Tamas' confusion was because it started off with "the magic vanishes", which sounds like you are definitely supposed to discard the spell. But then it goes on to say that really nothing happens unless you rolled any ones.

It's kind of like telling someone, "Your sister broke her leg! I mean... she might... if you don't bring her a ladder." It would have been better to say, "If you don't bring your sister a ladder, she might break her leg."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Anduin wrote:
randomlife wrote:

I thought that Tamas' confusion was because it started off with "the magic vanishes", which sounds like you are definitely supposed to discard the spell. But then it goes on to say that really nothing happens unless you rolled any ones.

It's kind of like telling someone, "Your sister broke her leg! I mean... she might... if you don't bring her a ladder." It would have been better to say, "If you don't bring your sister a ladder, she might break her leg."

The confusion comes from the fact that when you only have 1 die to roll, then the effect of failing (0 successes) are less severe than the one of passing the test. If you fail you have a high chance that nothing happens, if you pass you will always lose 1 sanity, no matter what. That's counter intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, so what you're saying is that it's odd that 1 is the worst result, 5 and 6 are the next worse results, and 2-4 are the best results. Usually in this game, high results are best and lower results are worst.

So maybe it should have been:

0: Lose 1 Sanity. If you rolled any 1's, discard this Spell instead of losing Sanity.
1+: No effect.

So then, with 1 die, the best result would be to get 5 or 6. 2-4 would be a Sanity loss, and 1 would be discard the Spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.