badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian - Bene Gesserit
Gil - Atreides
John - Emperor
Sean - Guild
Andrew - Harkonen
Troy - Fremen

We introduced Sean to Dune. He seemed to catch on pretty quick despite the barrage of information we dumped on him on the
front end.

I tried a different strategy with the Bene Gesserit this time. I made my prediction of course - Turn 6 win for Fremen.
Instead of going everywhere that people shipped, I concentrated my forces on just 3 areas. That way I hoped to have
army stacks big enough to influence battles instead of just spreading myself out everywhere.
It seemed to work overall as I was an actual factor in decision making starting from about turn 3 and going to the end
of the game. I also partnered with MONEY (the Guild) and the combination of cash and shipping discounts allowed
me to get some big stacks into those 3 areas as well.
I would recommend BG/Guild as an early partnership to anyone playing BG in the future.
Of course BG/Atreides is also very powerful - provided you have a weapon and a defense or two in your hand.

Anyway - over the course of the game we had lots of fun things happen.
The ones I remember, from my perspective, were ... going for a chance at victory with the Guild on turn 7 - after my turn 6 prediction was
nothing more than dust.
I had to win my battle and Sean had to win his battle in order for us to win.
We debated for a minute because if we lost, 1 or both of us would be crippled for the remainder of the game.
We decided to go for it.
Troy, who I was attacking, had the last Karama card in the game (there are only 2) and bad luck for me, he used it to prevent my Voice
power and I lost that battle.
Andrew, who Sean was attacking, had the Laz Gun and Sean having not played before, played a Shield, so not only did he lose that
battle that he would otherwise have won, but both armies and generals (did we put the generals in the tanks?) were destroyed in a
big nuclear cloud and nothing survived.
So our bid for world domination was halted in its tracks and Sean was pretty much wiped out.
I still had a stack of troops over in a stronghold "peacefully advising" the Emperors big stack, so I still had a little bit to work with.

We saw the Harkonens beat the Emperor's troops due to a hidden traitor.
We saw the Shield Wall go down to Family Atomics.

Troy almost gave the Fremen/Emperor alliance a shot at winning on Turn 6 (my prediction would have been fulfilled and given me
the solo victory in that case).
He started to place troops on a stronghold I controlled and changed his mind ...started to ...and changed his mind.
I was silently urging him to attack because I was going to just throw the battle and let him have it.
But in the end he decided not to mess with me and my dreams of a Prediction victory went up in smoke.

On turn 8 (of 10) the board was pretty deserted, with the majority of the troops dead and being resurrected slowly in the Tleixu Tanks.

This was great for me and my ally - the Guild - if we could hold out for just 2 more turns and keep anybody else from winning, we could
get the Guild (and ally) default victory.
So of course my ally dumps me at this point.
I got him this far like a fat, sassy thoroughbred and then he jumps off to try and finish with a slighly fatter, slightly sassier thoroughbred - John.

As we shuffle around, I end up allied with Troy. Traditionally when I ally with Troy, something goes horribly wrong and we don't win,
but I was determined not to let that happen this time.
Troy had the biggest stack of troops and I had the 2nd biggest, with Harkonen and Emperor close in the troop count.
Atreides was weak and the Guild only had 3 troops to play with.

As everybody jockeyed for Spice and tried to build up what meager forces they could for a final 10th round push, Troy and I silently and
sneakily went for it.

I held my own with my last big stack in a huge battle against the Emperor, but I was reduced down to 1 lonely BG advisor controlling
a stronghold out in the middle of nowhere.

Between Troy and myself, we had control of 3 Strongholds ... not enough to win.

I had picked a fight with a lone BG Sister against a Harkonen stack of 6 - really with no hope of winning.
Earlier I had won a card in auction that the Fremen/Emperor alliance were sure was a Worthless (which work as Karama cards for me) and
they spent a lot of time talking about how best I was going to use it against them and when and where.
I was laughing/crying inside because it wasn't a Worthless/Karama card, but was the worst card a BG player can pick up - a Cheap Hero.
The Cheap Hero is the "Worthless" card to the BG faction.

Anyway - I was fighting Andrew in a suicide battle for the sole purpose of throwing away that Cheap Hero card so that my hand wouldn't be
full and I could try to get a better card in the last round of bidding.

Sure enough Andrew used (Gil had to leave just before this) the Atreides ally Prescience and his good cards and his powerful stack of Harkonen
troops to smack me around and win the battle .... no big surprises here .... BUT!!!!......

As I glanced down at his Leader I saw that it was the #3 general .... which was MY TRAITOR CARD .....
I quickly communicated with the Harkonen Traitor who ordered his men to take a nice nap before battle and filled all their canteens with
nerve toxin. When they woke up, unable to move, my Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother was walking from one soldier to another, opening
each man's jugular vein with a very sharp knife, as they watched in horror, unable to move.

This gave the Ian/Troy BG/Fremen alliance the 4th Stronghold they needed to win the game.

As I jumped up and yelled, I pulled out my BG prediction cards to show the world whether I had a solo victory or not.
I showed the FREMEN card ... so far so good ...
and I showed the 9 card ... a SOLO VICTORY FOR ME!!!!....
except that it was just the 6 card turned upside down.
I came close but didn't nail it with the Prediction win, but was able to console myself by dividing up the rich Spice rewards with my Fremen
Allies, breaking the long standing tradition/curse that Ian/Troy alliances can't win.

Was a super fun session - such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the bene gesserit faction are 1 of the strongest, all leaders strength 5 and the voice ability is amazing.

Ontop of that worthless cards are very useful for them.

Fremen can be abit hit and miss when it comes to strength and their alliance ability does suck.

However a bene gesserit and fremen alliance is a strong alliance imo. The ability to give voice to a faction who has free shipping and 3 free revivals means they will win the war of attrition that all players face after first 4 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1 of my least favorite alliances is Guild and Emperor, whilst they do control all the spice it forces the atreides and bene gesserit to ally who are easily the strongest alliance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
the bene gesserit faction are 1 of the strongest, all leaders strength 5 and the voice ability is amazing.

Ontop of that worthless cards are very useful for them.

Fremen can be abit hit and miss when it comes to strength and their alliance ability does suck.

However a bene gesserit and fremen alliance is a strong alliance imo. The ability to give voice to a faction who has free shipping and 3 free revivals means they will win the war of attrition that all players face after first 4 turns.

We play with the WBC Tournament rules ... with Double Spice Blows.
You also have to pay to power up your troops to full strength.
The Fremen, however, do not have to pay when fighting in a desert location.
We also play that they give their ally the ability to recover 1 more than normal of their troops for free from the tanks (still 3 maximum revivals).

With all this going on, the Fremen are a very solid force now whereas before we felt like they were a bit underpowered.

The BG are always strong, but not usually until mid game. They don't get much access to cash and have to rely a lot on shipping in for free, so they don't usually influence the game much militarily until turn 5 or so - when the free shipping has allowed them to have some decent sized troop stacks all around the board.

I consider them the toughest faction to play for new players, but one of the most fun to play for experienced players. Trying to make that prediction win happen is always intriguing to me.
I have pulled it off twice I think out of about 15 attempts.

It helps that we play to 10 turns instead of 15 on making that prediction, but it also means that there are more frequent Guild default wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i dont think the fremen are underpowered in the base game myself.

Move 2, strong leaders, free shipping and free revivals is very powerful.

Sure their alliance ability sucks but, when a faction ends up stuck in a sand location where the worm will strike after nexus they often want that fremen alliance. Doesnt happen every game but it does happen every now and again. They lack combat abilities but they are better than emperor imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.