$20.00
$30.00
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the activity director at a nursing home. Many of my residents can't see or hear to play games, let alone play complex ones. We have an idea about making a simple horse racing game they could play. Here is what another nursing home has made so far.

They taped together green foam boards, made 6 lanes and bought some model horses. They have only created rules for moving the horses, but could not think of a way to do bidding?

To move, you roll 3 six-sided dice and move the horses for whichever lanes are rolled. Example: If we roll a 1, 3 and 5. The horses in those lanes move one spot ahead. If you roll 3 – 1’s the horse in lane one moves three spots.

Can you think of a simple and fun way to bet on horses in this game? We need to take this game to the next level with bidding. We need your help!

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolph Pernal
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game stands currently, betting would be completely random, as each horse has an equal chance to move.
In order to add meaningful betting you would need to create an inequality in horse movement so that some will move more frequently, while others move less frequently.

Perhaps consider using 10 horses, where you take the sum of 2 dice rolled to choose a lane (2 - 11) If player rolls a 12, they choose which horse to move.

This way, you have a standard ratio that naturally creates inequality amongst the horses.

Of course, horse 7 will naturally be the favorite every time so you would have to introduce small rules so that other horses may get to move more than 1 space when rolled.
So in essence, horse 7 gets rolled 6/36, but moves only 1 space, where as horse 2 gets rolled 1/36 but moves 5 spaces. This creates a fair playing field. Betting on horse 2 would still be more risky than horse 7, however, it would be more attractive because the payout would be more than horse 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Manning
United States
Whitsett
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you put a value multiplier in each grid location, divided by lane. Essentially, the starting point for each horse per lane would offer a '7x' bidding value (or however many places there were to the finish line). Alternatively, the location in a lane right before the finish line could offer only a '2x' value multiplier. Of course, the locations in between the start and the finish would have their own corresponding value multiplier. At any point throughout the game, a player could bid any number of chips on a horse in any given position. I hope I explained that in an understandable way. I can draw a diagram if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Give each player 3 slips of paper, labeled 1, 3, and 6.

After 1 roll, players write the lane of the horse they're betting on to win on slip "1".

After 2 more rolls, do the same thing with slip "3". After 3 more rolls, do the same thing with slip "6".

When the first horse crosses the finish, the race ends. The horse you wrote on slip 1 pays $5 if it wins. Horse on slip 3 pays $3 if it wins. Horse on slip 6 pays $1 if it wins

You can add complexity for "place" and "show" payouts as well if desired.

Edit to add, if you want to do betting instead, just change the payouts from a flat value to a multiplier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make piles of slips for each horse, all same size. Each round, every player in turn picks up a slip. After a few rounds, start the horse race. Players get points equal to the number of slips left in the piles they bet on. This makes the strategy of the game based on maximizing your reward via strategic slip-taking. The horse race randomizer keeps the end result suspenseful. Over many races, better strategies can win out over blind luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im thinking a better way of handling the movement is the solution. I propose a division of the board in 3 sections. Each section represent the initial burst of acceleration at the beginning, the middle of the race and the final sprint.lets call these sections A,B and C. Now lets say different horses have different categories matching strenghtes and weaknesses in those 3 racing aspects. Some horses are good sprinters, other will get an early lead whike some may gain speed slower.

Each horse transfer those stats unto counters, much like a bingo ball. For example, if horse "Pretty princess" is racing in lane 1, she will get an extra move for that turn. Every horse will always advance by 1 space every turn but some horses may move an extra number of space. The more counters are drawn for a horse lane, the more bonus spaces he will move

For example a horse rated A2B1C3 would get 2 counters in the pot for the A section, 1 counter in the B pot and 3 in the C pot.

At the beginning of the game, the counters from pot A are mixed and drawn at random. The horse matching counters are moved 1 space. After a certain number has been drawn ( a proper ratio coukd be worked out but i think it should be around the number of horses racing minuys 1 or 2), move every horse 1 spot. If a horse has crossed the next section of the track, add its B or C counters to the original pot.

Betting could then follow regular betting processes (im not familiar enough with that stuff) but yould modify the lenght oif each section to represent different lenghts (a longer midsection with a shorter sprint). Certain terrain could benefit some horses. Horses with high A value wouikd dfo best in short races while horse with high C number woukd be late sprinter with sudden burst of explosions). Different sections could have different draw number to further add a level of mathematical complexities.

I havent cruncvhed the number but if u keep the total value of ABC value the same technically every horse is equal statistically speaking. But like live horses shouikd and will draw in different pattern similar to how real horse perform. While the system is more random, adjusting lenghts and number of draw can recreate somewhat realistic results enough to entice the gambling person

Excuse my ignorance of modern graphic to illustratre my idea

1----B---C-----finish
2----B---C-----Finish

Horse in lane 1 is rated A3B1C3
Horse in lane 2 is rated A2B3C2

First turn 3 line 1 tokens and 2 line 2 tokens. 1 token drawn. Horse in line 1 moves 2 spots, horse in lane 2 moves 1. Counter is reset, new draw, this time a 1 and a 2. Horse in lane 1 move 2 and horse in lane 2 moves two. Third turn and horse in lane 1 is drawn twice. Horse in lane 1 moves 3 spaces and crosses into section B, he now adds his 1 extra counter ( his B stat is 1)

After 3 turns (aproximate)
B C
-------1--------Finish
-----2----------Finish

You could use colour instead of number, you can make names for horses you couikd add jockey conferring extra counters in one section... Feel free to contact me if im not particularly clear...
Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
you could borrow the rules from HomeStretch or buy a copy and super size it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use different sided dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20 for each lane. Horses move on a 1-2. Betting odds would be based on the expected speed of the horse. The d4 horse would pay 3:2, d6 horse 2:1, d8 horse 5:1, and so on (I haven't run the math to figure out what the balanced odds would be - if its just for fun you probably don't need to.) You could roll multiple dice of each type at one time (maybe 4 or 5) so each turn part of the excitement would be rolling 24 or 30 dice at a time. Use Monopoly money for the betting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.