GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,906 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Somerset Board Gamers and Magic Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone. Looking for board gamers and Magic player in Somerset (Shepton Mallet). Already hold a monthly board game night in Shepton Mallet but looking to expand to a Magic night as well. Wondered if anyone would be interested ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Sam.

I hope you find more board gamers over your way (and perhaps keep an eye on our Taunton Board Gamers guild in case you are ever over our way), but post some details in this thread about where, when, cost and what you play so that others can decide if there is interest for them.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jordan
United Kingdom
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

How many of you are there?

Although we don't play MtG, we are in Frome if you are interested in joining us.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/859

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stephen - Just looked at your guild page and wow!!!

I suffer with agoraphobia and I can't travel far which is why I set this games night up in the first place, because I knew I could get as far as my local and I could organise it for a night I didn't have my children.

I wish I could get to Taunton as I am sure you could teach me about setting up an established games group.

we're only small, about 4 regulars each month but the pub we use could accommodate more and I really would love to see it grow.

At present there are no fees as we just buy drinks in the pub. I suppose if it got a lot bigger I might need to look into hiring a venue which would incur fees but we are a long way off that I think.

The games we play are quite limited by my games collection. The idea is that if we had enough people we could separate into group and play what everyone wanted. I have commercial games such as the logo game, a game I really like called Geek Battle (Q&A game), Kill Dr Lucky, Exploding Kittens, Cards against Humanity, Carcassonne and many more. I desperately want more of the die-hard board gamer games produces by Rio Grande and Mayfair but as a single mum, I can't afford all the great ones. I am trying to create a collection that contains some commercial games, some light hearted games and some "geekier" games, just don't think I'm going to find "Fortune and Glory" or "7 Wonders" in my local charity shop, although I did find a brand new Carcassonne in there the other day so you never know

Any advice you can give me on advertising my events and ways to improve would be amazing. If you ever fancy a trip to Shepton Mallet on the 2nd Thursday of the month (look up "Shepton Mallet Games Night" on facebook) you'd be very welcome.

Thank you

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that we have a secret to growing our membership beyond being open and welcoming to new people, and willing to spend time to explain what we do.

We do hold an annual, open, public event in conjunction with International TableTop Day; the first year we took over a sizeable area in a family friendly pub/restaurant, and this year we spent the day in our local library where library staff recorded 67 visitors to our room. Hopefully we'll be back in the library in November for International Games Day @ Your Library, otherwise it's mostly word of mouth (and being unashamed to engage with people browing the games in our local games store).

Besides being active on BGG, you could try placing your group on MeetUp, and you've already got a Facebook page, just make sure you keep it up to date. Once you are comfortable with the stability of your group, you could try to get a story in the local paper, you may be surprised by how many board gamers you've got nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sam, I'm just up the road in Bristol.

I played MtG a lot when I was at Uni, and recently started to look at the game again with interest (I started a new job, and found out there's a very keen player where I'm based now). What sort of play are you looking at? I'm very much looking to just play casual games.

At the minute my biggest reservation is the travel, I'm on a motorbike. While it's a lovely ride down to Shepton Mallet, it's coming back in the dark that I'm none too keen on. I've subscribed to the thread, so I'll keep an eye out for more details.

Good luck with the new group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed - Will of course be attending soon .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, Jonathan has (hmm, how shall I put this?) an adequate collection of games, he'll keep you entertained for the next few weeks decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sam,

Welcome to BGG - you've come to the best place on the web...with games!

Your message is music to my ears. I'm based in Shepton Mallet most of the time and would be very happy to play some proper games. As it happens, my other half co-manages one of the pubs in the town. It's not the one at which you meet, but it does have a lot of space should you wish to try it at some point. While I can't compete with Jonathan's collection (Hi, Jonathan - I think I dropped off a game to you a while back and was thinking of moving back then, so we have met) I do write reviews for an online retailer, so we would be able to play some new titles and throw opinions around, if necessary.

Thursday evenings also happen to be good for me, as I keep odd hours and spend some time up in London, so I'd be very happy to try to sort something out, especially as I tend to play mainly two player games with my other half and would love to explore more expansive stuff.

Anyway, as I say, welcome to BGG and hopefully this will lead to something!

Happy gaming!

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sandman1973 wrote:
Hi

How many of you are there?

Although we don't play MtG, we are in Frome if you are interested in joining us.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/859

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'll bear it in mind - thank you. I have ddifficulty travel very far at all away from home but when I'm up to it I'll pop out for a visit.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scooperman wrote:
I'm not sure that we have a secret to growing our membership beyond being open and welcoming to new people, and willing to spend time to explain what we do.

We do hold an annual, open, public event in conjunction with International TableTop Day; the first year we took over a sizeable area in a family friendly pub/restaurant, and this year we spent the day in our local library where library staff recorded 67 visitors to our room. Hopefully we'll be back in the library in November for International Games Day @ Your Library, otherwise it's mostly word of mouth (and being unashamed to engage with people browing the games in our local games store).

Besides being active on BGG, you could try placing your group on MeetUp, and you've already got a Facebook page, just make sure you keep it up to date. Once you are comfortable with the stability of your group, you could try to get a story in the local paper, you may be surprised by how many board gamers you've got nearby.

Stephen - that's awesome!! Thank you.

I am very livlovely and welcoming so that wouldn't be a problem!!

I'll see if I can sort something for international games day.

Thank you for all you help.

Sam

Ste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
True_Dave wrote:
Hi Sam, I'm just up the road in Bristol.

I played MtG a lot when I wother Uni, and recently started to look at the game again with interest (I started a new job, and found out there's a very keen player where I'm based now). What sort of play are you looking at? I'm very much looking to just play casual games.

At the minute my biggest reservation is the travel, I'm on a motorbike. While it's a lovely ride down to Shepton Mallet, it's coming back in the dark that I'm none too keen on. I've subscribed to the thread, so I'll keep an eye out for more details.

Good luck with the new group.

Hi Dave,

Shane I didn't do this earlier in the year as it still would have been light for you to drive home.

I have a Facebook group - shepton mallet games night. If you join that, maybe a few others people might prefer a Sunday afternoon meet which would be easier for you on your bike.

Might see you in shepton at some point though

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scooperman wrote:
Sam, Jonathan has (hmm, how shall I put this?) an adequate collection of games, he'll keep you entertained for the next few weeks decades.

Lmao Stephen!! I have had a little sneaky peak at Jonathan's collection and he is planning on bring some games when he is able to attend

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
nickster1970 wrote:
Hey Sam,

Welcome to BGG - you've come to the best place on the web...with games!

Your message is music to my ears. I'm based in Shepton Mallet most of the time and would be very happy to play some proper games. As it happens, my other half co-manages one of the pubs in the town. It's not the one at which you meet, but it does have a lot of space should you wish to try it at some point. While I can't compete with Jonathan's collection (Hi, Jonathan - I think I dropped off a game to you a while back and was thinking of moving back then, so we have met) I do write reviews for an online retailer, so we would be able to play some new titles and throw opinions around, if necessary.

Thursday evenings also happen to be good for me, as I keep odd hours and spend some time up in London, so I'd be very happy to try to sort something out, especially as I tend to play mainly two player games with my other half and would love to explore more expansive stuff.

Anyway, as I say, welcome to BGG and hopefully this will lead to something!

Happy gaming!

Nick

OMG Nick!! That would be awesome - I know We'd love to play some new titles!!!

Thank you for the offer of the space in the pub. I hope I won't be making you into a traitor The reason I hold at the pub that I do is they don't do food so relies on drink sales - trying to help a local business plus I quite like it there. If at any point it looks like the space isn't big enough, of course I would look to change and I'll check out your other-halfs place 1st

I've got a Facebook group "shepton mallet games night"

Hopefully see you at a future games night

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
RockChickSam wrote:
I have a Facebook group - shepton mallet games night. If you join that, maybe a few others people might prefer a Sunday afternoon meet which would be easier for you on your bike.

Cool, request sent. I'm the pair of feet (hopefully that should make sense when you see my profile pic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Woodrow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Rock Chick.

I just moved to Holcombe Radstock and have been looking for some new local gaming buddies. Stephen, Nick and Jonathan all kindly suggested your monthly game night so I may well come along if that's ok! I have a small collection of decent titles which I would be happy to bring along too. The Frome and Bath guilds all look great and i'll definitely check them out but it'd be nice to have another option nearer home too!

I don't have Facebook, is it this Thursday (8th Sept) you next get together?

Thanks, Ash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh Ash that would be great.

Yes it's this Thursday.

More games wouldbe awesome!!

I'll pm you my number in case you need to get hold of me on the day as I don't get notifications from this forum.

Hope you can make it.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid I won't be there this Thursday (pesky work!) but hopefully next month...

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
nickster1970 wrote:
Afraid I won't be there this Thursday (pesky work!) but hopefully next month...

Happy gaming!

Thanks for letting me know.

Might be setting up a Magic night for 15th September if youre interested and not working.

Let me know.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.