1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Top 3 Must-Have games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I run a monthly games night and wondered, in your opinion, what would be your top 3 games you'd recommend to me, taking into consideration that I would have to teach the group the game on the night.
Look forward to reading your comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much gaming experience do the members of your group have? That makes a big difference regarding which recommendations are appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players do you have, what's the expected playtime, will you have the same people attending from one event to the next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With very little to go on, I will offer 3 suggestions:
Istanbul - plays up 5, relatively short playtime, relatively simple rules, has been regularly played in my group for over 1.5 years.

Bruges - terrific card based Stephan Feld game. It seems very intuitive to me.

Snowdonia - a terrific worker placement game that scales well between 1 and 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The answer to all your questions is "unknown". Numbers vary from month to month depending on other engagements and I can't always guarantee the same people. Legacy pandemic is something I would love to play but not sure I would have the same people each month .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds awesome Joe.
I'll check them out. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King has been a big hit in my group and people can usually teach it to others after only playing it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only go on what my group likes, or my particular likes. That being said.....

King of Tokyo This is the go-to game when we can't agree on anything else. It's pretty quick, can play up to 6, and is a lot of fun.

7 Wonders This is another group favorite. Plays up to 7.

Suburbia My current personal favorite. Plays only 4 (5 with the right expansion), but requires a bit more thinking and planning that some games. A lot of variety - no two games are alike.

For larger groups...

Formula D A very cool racing game, plays up to 10.

Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner Plays however many you want. This one is another personal favorite. There's actually a bit of a story to it, multiple different characters, treasure and other goodies, combat and CRT's. I wish I could get my group to play it more often.

Blue Max WWI biplane air-to-air combat. Can play up to 14

Yes, most of these aren't new, and some aren't even in print. A slightly more current choice would be...

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game Very Raiders of the Lost Ark in feel, but not directly connected. Go around the world finding ancient treasures and fight Nazis. What fun! Plays up to 8.

(Oops, more than 3)

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you. Looks great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Gregory - That's an amazing list. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Condottiere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride - great gateway game that anyone can play
Dutch Blitz - quick card game filler that with the expansion plays up to 8
Concordia - heavier game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt say these are my three favorite games or even necessarily "must haves". However, these are games that have flexible player counts, are easily taught, and dont break the bank in regards to cost. It seems like they would be a good fit for your scenario where the number of players and their gaming experience would be so erratic session to session.

Diamant: The players only have one decision to make so it cant possibly be easier to teach. It plays well from 4 to 8. It is a push your luck style game so there is always a lot of good tension.

Codenames: It is a word game in which players give one word clues to their teammates. It plays well from 4 to 8. It is very easy to teach. Team play can sometimes be nice for certain groups or players.

Sushi Go Party!: This is a card drafting game that involves simultaneous play so there is not any significant downtime. I personally have played sushi go and not the party version. However, if I was going to buy it now I would probably buy the party version as you can change the game setup and it has a higher player count. I believe the player count is up to 8 but I would be willing to bet 3-6 is probably the best player count.

Since it sounds like you are building a collection, here are a bunch of popular games that are cheap (under $15 in the US at least) that also might do well on game nights: Love Letter, Coup, Cockroach Poker, 6 nimmt!, No Thanks!, Red7, Zombie Dice, Anomia, Pairs, Hanabi, Bohnanza, Monopoly Deal Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is easy to teach, handles up to 7 players, and is fun for experienced gamers as well as newcomers.

Dixit is good for those night when non-gamers show up and you'd like to show them something that feels kind of magical.

My last recommendation would vary depending on what the more experienced gamers in your group like. Agricola is one that I'll never get rid of, especially since it works well for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Chick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow Everyone!!!!

Awesome lists. Think I am going to have to get some sleep before I add these to my "wish list". 3am in the uk snoresnore

Yes Eric - I am trying to build a collection that your die hard gamers would like as well as the gamers that are used to the more commercial games like monopoly and cluedo.

Thank you everyone. You have been amazing!!!kisskiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride - you're in UK, so you could go with Europe, but I think USA + mandatory 1910 expansion is the best choice to start with.

Pandemic
- THE gateway co-op. You said you'd love to get Pandemic: Legacy, so I'd get this first, find out if you and 3 others love it enough to want to then get Legacy and commit to getting together regularly to play through it.

7 Wonders - great choice for when you're going to have more than 4 players. Our group played a ton of this one before we kind of burned out on it, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Honorable mentions depending on what type of game your group might like best:
Suburbia - tile layer, improvement on the gateway tile layer Carcassonne
Lords of Waterdeep - gateway worker placement
Dominion or Dominion: Intrigue- the original and still the best deck builder
Roll for the Galaxy - dice with phase selection
Bang the Dice Game - dice with hidden teams
Qwixx - dice filler. It's always good to have 1 or 2 15-30 minute fillers to play before everyone's arrived.
Flash Point Fire Rescue - a good co-op alternative to Pandemic, as it plays up to 6 and players can enter or leave mid-game.
Shadows over Camelot - the original co-op with traitor game, plays up to 7 and also allows players to enter or leave mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
β€œThe elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown
Tichu
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

This is a good one. Fairly easy to teach & play. Has a great ios, andriod & windows computer app to facilitate play. A lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
None of these may be on anyone's personal Top 10, but I think it's a strong 3-game library, that would handle most situations with most types of players, while also being easy to teach. Two of them are also pretty portable, so you wouldn't need much space to store them.

Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
Glen More
Vye: The Card Game of Capture and Control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would suggest
Citadels
Machi Koro and
BANG! The Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Codenames

I'd also suggest El Grande (area control) and Medici (auctions). Two classic games from 1995 that still hold up incredibly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Splendor - a good light-medium game for 2-4 players, very good for non-gamers. Deep enough for gamers too.

7 Wonders or Sushi Go Party! - card drafting game that could play 3-7 (up to 8 for SGP). Quick for a large group as turns happen simultaneously. Very good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget your own Carc Big Box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For new gamers : Sushi Go!,Carcassonne , Ticket to Ride: Europe.

For big groups : Wits & Wagers Party , Codenames ,Spyfall.

For quick light fun :Dr. Eureka , Doodle Quest ,Red7.

For 2 players:Hive, Patchwork ,Onitama .

For more experienced players:Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island ,Imperial Settlers ,Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization.

Honorable Mentions :Impulse ,Innovation,Flash Point: Fire Rescue,San Juan (second edition),Suburbia,Splendor ,Steam ,La Granja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.