Subject: Player elimination due to lack of deployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Jackson
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
We had a weird situation in a 2p game the other night. I attacked the other player twice and he lost two ships early. He wasn't able to drop a cube before this happened, so he essentially had nowhere to deploy and with only one ship left he couldn't make any of the planetary values to drop a cube anymore.

There would have been no way for him to do anything useful for the rest of the game, so I actually reversed the second attack and allowed the new player to keep two ships. I just couldn't see a way for it to be fun for him to lose like that. We played it out anyway, but I was just curious if anyone else has seen anything go down that quickly before in a play session. Our was this just an obscene case of dumb luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should both have dropped one quantum cube on a planet before the game begins, everyone starts with one. That way, everyone has a place to deploy new ships. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that's part of the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you set up the board, one of the first things you do is place a quantum cube of your own color on the designated planet (which are indicated in the maps- typically a 7 planet). This is, in effect, your home base.

When a ship is destroyed, the losing player rolls the die that was removed and places it in the shipyard. That is the ship that gets deployed on the next deploy action.

When it becomes your friends turn, he would use a deploy action for each ship and place it beside any planet that had a quantum cube of his color, and an available orbital location (located orthogonally adjacent to the planet.

Since, as part of the map setup, one quantum cube must have already been placed, he wouldn't have had a problem deploying.

I hope that's clearer. Sounds like you missed the rule about setting up the first quantum cube.

Edit: …and ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Jackson
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Huge oversight on my part with that initial cube placement. That takes care of that. Thanks, guys!
In my defense it was late at night after several beers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.