Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei all,

I got a hold of some pics of the rulebook from someone that attended GenCon. I asked permission to make them available to everyone, but meanwhile I share some info you guys may wanna know:

-Difficulty: the game comes with 4 levels of difficulty depending on which chaos tokens you put in the bag. Easy has a couple of "+1"s (for example) and expert has seven tokens that range from "-3" to "-8". In theory the difficulty cannot be changed along the campaign

-Campaigns: As we expected the whole core set is a single campaign. Also, each deluxe + 6 Mythos Packs will in principle contain a long campaign. You are recommended to create a new character for each campaign (starting from 0 experience) but can reuse the one from an old one (taking your experience and traumas).

-Core set: The set comes with 234 cards. 5 are the investigators, 110 are campaign cards and 119 are player cards. They have some starter sets with 33 cards each (30 cards + weakness + 2 fixed card of the player). Roland and Wendy (the ones deomed at GenCon) have each 2 copies of the neutral cards "Knife", "Flashlight" and "Cache"....so some cards will appear once in the core set and others will have 4 in the core.

I will upload the pics as soon as I get permission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the first cycle a distinct separate distinct campaign from the core set then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they say that the campaign in the core set is introductory (and recommend you to try at higher levels of difficulty).

And then it says: "typically a deluxe expansion brings the foundation of a campaign, followed by 6 mythos packs that continue and conclude the campaign"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGowan
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
So that would mean the first expansion would have to be a deluxe expansion then. I had been presuming there would be a set of 6 small packs first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I worry now about using the same character with the new campaigns. Why do they suggest a new one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I worry now about using the same character with the new campaigns. Why do they suggest a new one?

I would assume its much easier to balance when you have a known starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I would assume its much easier to balance when you have a known starting point.

I just fear it will be like LoTR LCG was and you almost have to start over for each scenario/expansion. That was a major pain in the arse imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a design perspective - it makes sense.

Each cycle is its own enclosed unit and could potentially be someone's first (especially possible here, as unlike competitve LCGs they're more stand alone) - so you have to design for the lowest common denominator.

If you working under the (false) assumption that everyone is playing through the releases chronologically and using the same character throughout - you have to make each cycle progressively harder causing both incredible power creep and alienating future customers.

I think this is easily solvable, however, and they've built a system to do just that with the chaos bag. From cycle #2 onwards they could easily include instructions for "if you're using a fresh character use tokens X, Y, Z. If you've completed 1 campaign, use A, B, C." and do on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
California
flag msg tools
I believe a new one means a new game with 0 exp while you can still use characters from old expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
-Difficulty: the game comes with 4 levels of difficulty depending on which chaos tokens you put in the bag. Easy has a couple of "+1"s (for example) and expert has seven tokens that range from "-3" to "-8". In theory the difficulty cannot be changed along the campaign

I would like to know all the different tokens that come with the game and what they represent (in general, I know some differ in each scenario and difficulty level). I know the following ones:

- (+1)
- (0)
- (-1)
- (-2)
- (-3)
- (-4)
- (-5)
- (-6)
- (-7)
- (-8)
- (cultist)
- (skull)
- (elder sign), to use hero powers
- (tentacle), automatic failure
- and that weird jumbled looking one I cannot figure out what it is supposed represent

Did I miss something? Also, what is the content, for instance, of the normal difficulty bag for the first scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rinceart wrote:

I would like to know all the different tokens that come with the game and what they represent [...]

Ask and you shall receive:

Easy 1,1,0,0,0,-1,-1,-1,-2,-2, skull (2), cultist, some strange icon, tentacle, elder sign

Standard 1,0,0,-1,-1,-1,-2,-2,-3,-4 and the same non-numeric symbols

Hard 0,0,0,-1,-1,-2,-2,-3,-3,-4,-5 and the same non-numeric symbols

Expert 0,-1,-1,-2,-2,-3,-3,-4,-4,-5,-6,-8 and the same non-numeric symbols

The strange icon is a bad one (in the sample card it gives -4 and if there is a ghoul at your location you take 1 damage and 1 horror).

Now that I look at it again, there is a (probably 2 sided) scenario reference card. The effect on the icons seems to depend on the difficulty level. I would say that Easy/standard have a fixed effect for the icons whereas hard/expert a different one. It only explains Skull, cultist and the other symbol. I think you are correct that tentacle is auto-fail and elder sign is good thing from your character

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. So there is no -7 token. Also, I wish I knew what that strange symbol is supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Thank you. So there is no -7 token. Also, I wish I knew what that strange symbol is supposed to be.

I do not know what exact tokens are in the punchboard. The ones I listed here account for 23 of them. I assume there are a few duplicates but theoretically there could be a -15 that is added on some bad situation

By the way, the strange icon is found in FFG's last post. It is the third chaos token in the image below:

Edit: I have the back of the gathering card (so you can see how tough it gets when compared to easy/normal modes)

Skull gives -2 and if you fail brings a Ghoul into play
Cultist is to reveal another token and if you fail get 2 horror
The strange icon I explained already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but what is it supposed to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rinceart wrote:
Yeah, but what is it supposed to be?

I think it's a cracked stone tablet with eldritch runes on it... maybe a general "strange artifact" type thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
It looks like Cyclopean masonry to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as i said in another thread, i think it could be the shining trapezohedron:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m5wgJEODoLI/Tz4895cgY6I/AAAAAAAAE5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So where is this info coming from ? Gencon was weeks ago so I'm curious how new information is just now coming out of there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nushura wrote:
Yes, they say that the campaign in the core set is introductory (and recommend you to try at higher levels of difficulty).

Does this mean FFG recommends you play the intro campaign on Hard/Expert the first time you try it, or are they saying you should go back and play it again at a harder level after playing it on Easy/Standard as a tutorial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toqtamish wrote:
So where is this info coming from ? Gencon was weeks ago so I'm curious how new information is just now coming out of there.

the gencon info about apocrypha is even slower:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1617554/any-comments-pl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toqtamish wrote:

I said it in the first paragraph of the post. Someone at gencon took pics of the rulebook, and sent them to me. I asked permission to post them, but since I got no response I typed the content of the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post them please. No reason not to as if it's the actual rule book legit photos it's all stuff we will all see soon as it gets posted to their site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blns75 wrote:
So that would mean the first expansion would have to be a deluxe expansion then. I had been presuming there would be a set of 6 small packs first.

That's basically what I'm wondering now. Given the lead in time for announcements (we are well into the next cycle of LOTR announcements) I'm surprised we haven't had mention of the first expansions for AH. Maybe they want all attention on the core set, or there will be a (relatively) big wait for the first boxed expansion to kick off the next campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though nothing to stop you trying it, while setting the campaign at maxiumum difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, I do not think that the first expansion will be a deluxe, nor I think any kind of expansion will be announced after we have had our hands on the game.

Regarding the expansion format note that the text says: "typically a deluxe expansion brings [...]", so even though the general format will be this one, it could very well be that the first expansions break this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.