Subject: 13 Unlucky for some... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played out very first game this evening with 3 player setup and mostly painted and pimped except boats and forts , had a blast , well worth the wait and now that I finally have it in my paws , I have to say a big congrats to Academy Games for a stella game.

A lot of session reports I've read seem to have the games won by the pyramid strategy.

In fact our first play this evening pretty much revolved around everyone going for the first to build the pyramids as the other routes seemed a lot harder.

Has anyone tried with a variant to make the pyramids 13 resources or more instead of 12 , would it make a big difference.

Just thought I'd ask , would love to hear if anyone has tried or opinions.

Pre Photo before the backstabbing begun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pattern seems to be that when people play Mare Nostrum for the first time they tend to play non-aggressively, and the game becomes a race for pyramids/heroes/wonders, which ends relatively quickly. Then people play again and this time learn how to win a quick military victory and/or how to block others out of getting the trade resources they want and/or they build a military quickly. As many have said, one of the key strategies in Mare Nostrum is the ability to recognize when someone's about to win, and to stop that from happening (by teaming up with the other players at best). You can keep someone from building the pyramids by avoiding trade with them (giving them the dregs of the trade choices) and/or taking over or pillaging their caravans.

You could require that all 13 resources are required to build the pyramids at the risk of extending the game and effectively eliminating one of the game's main victory conditions. I'd strongly recommend instead teaching the group how to counter the pyramid strategy first--but if it makes your group happier to require 13 resources to build the pyramids, by all means do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your painted pieces look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first game yesterday and it fit the pattern of minimal combat and sudden, slightly premature pyramid win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect - especially when reading your former posts - I have to say that I find this post ... nope, won't say it.

When reading it I thought: So what was all the fuss about?

I will not touch this game with a 10 ft pole, but given your former posts and the sometimes heated replies you received I found your post here a bit to much positive.

But to each his own I assume.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:

I will not touch this game with a 10 ft pole

Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
With all due respect - especially when reading your former posts - I have to say that I find this post ... nope, won't say it.

When reading it I thought: So what was all the fuss about?

I will not touch this game with a 10 ft pole, but given your former posts and the sometimes heated replies you received I found your post here a bit to much positive.

But to each his own I assume.

shake

My former posts where regarding the way the Kickstarter campaign was run , which most people will agree wasn't ideal.

I also mention in former posts that due to that fact, how the game has been put in a negative light and it's such a shame because the game itself is a fantastic light civ building game with a lot of strategy catering for all numbers of players.

Now that I finally have the game , not to play the game just because of a bad Kickstarter campaign would be absolutely absurd and only spites myself.

I've always wanted this game to succeed and bringing to light the Kickstarter fiasco will hopefully make there future endeavours for other users here on the forum a better experience .
I personally won't be touching Academy Games kickstarters with a 10ft pole but I will give credit to a game where credit is due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

I will not touch this game with a 10 ft pole

Why not?

The easy answer is that it has loaded so much bad karma that I stay away from it.

Right now there are (for the German edition) 3 parties involved - everyone adding more - let's say: "strange" - comments (f. ex. if there will be any promos available and if "yes" then in which quantity) and pointing to one another with the inadequacies of this KS. There were also some "statements" about their customers that might be understandable from a mere human point of view but should be avoided from a company point-of-view.

Some people separate the game from the KS / treatment and that is fine. Some are willing to buy stuff in stores where the get ridiculed or mocked just because it is cheaper there. I'm not that kind of person - for me the game comes with the whole package and that was / is (because it is not over) not very pleasant (to say at least).

I regret not ordering the English version because I think I could get rid of it faster then ordering it in German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jace_Ace wrote:

My former posts where regarding the way the Kickstarter campaign was run , which most people will agree wasn't ideal.

I also mention in former posts that due to that fact, how the game has been put in a negative light and it's such a shame because the game itself is a fantastic light civ building game with a lot of strategy catering for all numbers of players.

Now that I finally have the game , not to play the game just because of a bad Kickstarter campaign would be absolutely absurd and only spites myself.

I've always wanted this game to succeed and bringing to light the Kickstarter fiasco will hopefully make there future endeavours for other users here on the forum a better experience .
I personally won't be touching Academy Games kickstarters with a 10ft pole but I will give credit to a game where credit is due.

I followed your posts from the time you received much flak for the assumed allegation that you wanted the US not to receive the game earlier and I agreed with your critic on nearly all of your topics.

Nevertheless I think it was this part of your comment
Quote:
well worth the wait and now that I finally have it in my paws , I have to say a big congrats to Academy Games for a stella game.
that struck a nerve.

I knew the game from a former edition and my growing animosity toward this edition of the game has nothing to do with the game itself. But as said before I can't separate the one from the other.

Enjoy the game - peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.