Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield Generators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
I played a game today where I was the Rebel playeranmd I had built all 3 shield generators at the Rebel Base.

When it was attacked, the ability to draw 3 ground tactics cards at the start of every round of ground combat seemed way way overpowered. My opponent could hardly get a single hit off each round because, with additional cards comning from dicce rolls I was getting around 4 new tactics cards per round, and was able to block most of his hits.

Were we actually playing this right? It seemes to me that buiulding up force of maybe 10 rebel troopers at the base and protecting them with 3 shield generators gives the Empire very little chance of winning except with the Death Star.

I ask the question because the term 'Space Battle Step' is not actually defined in the rules - I ASSUME it means every round of spce combat, but thats not clearly stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You were playing correctly. Shield generators are powerful. The balancing factor is that they can be destroyed. Also, getting three generators and a force as large as you described protecting your base is easier said than fone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the bottom of page 4 of the RR, the Space Battle is defined as step 3.I of Combat. The Ground Battle step (3.II) is more important to Shield Generators and it does indeed trigger each round.

It is a little odd that you could block most of the damage. How were you getting the deck to reshuffle so quickly to draw the blocking cards so frequently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Ah - I see the issue!

Because it usually makes no real difference we were reshuffling the combat decks after every ROUND of combat - this recycled the cards rapidly.

Are these decks instead supposed to only be reshuffled when exhausted? Or perhaps at the end of each combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
Ah - I see the issue!

Because it usually makes no real difference we were reshuffling the combat decks after every ROUND of combat - this recycled the cards rapidly.

Are these decks instead supposed to only be reshuffled when exhausted? Or perhaps at the end of each combat?

At the end of combat...or the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For full disclosure, the Tactics decks are played out as follows:

During Combat, you discard cards to a discard pile for each theater. If a deck is depleted, you shuffle the discards to create a new one.

Once Combat is over, you discard all cards remaining in hand and reshuffle all cards into their respective decks.

So they reshuffle when exhausted and at the end of combat. Not before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

This is a meaningless distinction. Gameplay is unaffected either way. The important thing is that they be shuffled between combats. If you prefer to do it when combat starts before you draw, that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foggy Leggy
msg tools
KoalaXav wrote:
Clipper wrote:

This is a meaningless distinction. Gameplay is unaffected either way. The important thing is that they be shuffled between combats. If you prefer to do it when combat starts before you draw, that's fine.

Extremely incorrect.

The maximum number of blocks that can be deployed is 7 in one run through of the deck.

Recycling the deck during combat allows that number to double.

The difference between a potential 7 and 14 block cap is huge especially if one was drawing cards very rapidly as in the case above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
gamer31141 wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Extremely incorrect.

The maximum number of blocks that can be deployed is 7 in one run through of the deck.

Recycling the deck during combat allows that number to double.

The difference between a potential 7 and 14 block cap is huge especially if one was drawing cards very rapidly as in the case above.

We're talking about between entire combats, not between each combat round. Shuffling the decks before combat is no different than shuffling them after. In fact, once there has been a combat, it is shuffling them after...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Looks like the force is weak in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the weirdest lack of reading comp I have seen in quite a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
Ah - I see the issue!

Oh gosh. Yeah that'd be broken af.

Spamming shield generators on the rebel base is a legitimate strategy. (one of the three main opening strategy focuses, the other 2 being agressive fleet construction to score points and defensive fleet construction relying on Hidden fleet) But it isn't meant to be THAT powerful. Eventually you will run out of block cards.

But yeah you reshuffle when out of cards or at the end of an entire combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.