Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification of Build and Deploy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
The rules say that you cannot build or deploy in a system that has your opponents units present. Does this mean within a specific theatre, or is it a blanket ban?

It seems a bit odd that the presence of rebel ground forces could prevent the Empire delpoying new ships to a system, or that the presence of fighters in orbit could prevent the levying of ground troops.

We had been playing that only ground forces prevented deployment of ground forces and only space forces prevented deployment of space forces, but on closer reading of the rules it seems thats not the case, and a single X-Wing in orbit around a planet effectively cripples it. This seems an odd rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It is a blanket ban. Even one unit of any type (even a lone structure) has the same effect as a sabotage marker in the refresh phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you have to imagine, those units either block the factory directly or ships prevent the transport of resources to/from the factory or bombard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
I hadn't realised that a sabotage marker also prevents deployment. That's an important rule I missed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
It is a blanket ban. Even one unit of any type (even a lone structure) has the same effect as a sabotage marker in the refresh phase.

I need to self-correct, here. I just reread the rule, and structures alone would not keep deployment from happening. The rule specifies ships or ground units, and structures are neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
The rule specifies ships or ground units, and structures are neither.

Structures are ground units. You were correct in the first place. I would have corrected you back then if you weren't .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

Structures are ground units. You were correct in the first place. I would have corrected you back then if you weren't .

Well...that's a relief. And now that you mention it, I have no idea what made me think otherwise.

The brain does weird things, sometimes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

I actually prefer the idea that they aren't. It seems odd that unmanned structures can prevent anything.

Having said that I don't see it happening much

If a system containing structures is subjugated the structures would be automatically destroyed by the ground troops doing the subjugating.

Its going to be rare for the Imperial player to turn a loyal rebel system containing structures to Imperial loyalty and for the Rebel then to abandon the base leaving the structure behind - for the simple reason then can be destroyed by a single stormtrooper unit

Indeed the only time I have ever seen structures left alone on a planet was when a revealed rebel base was moved and the planet was then abandoned by all mobile units. The only real effect it has is to discourage the empire from placing a loyalty marker in such a system that's been gained through a mission like 'Superlaser online'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it does make this one interaction a little odd, but it would make the rules unnecessarily complex if they weren't considered ground units. If the general rule were that they weren't ground units, then combat wouldn't start when you moved invading troops into the system. They wouldn't be destroyed when the Death Star blew up the system, either!

And tweaking the build/deploy rules so that structures couldn't block them would lead to very wordy caveats needing to be mentioned in multiple places in the rulebooks, which is pretty silly for such a rare case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voy-tak Krawomms
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification regarding the chronological sequence of deployment is needed from my side.
So, all units are drawn down one space and all units from construction space "1" are deployed on the board. Max 2 units per system.
Starting with the rebel player.
Does that mean that the rebel player deploys all his units first and then the imperial has the go?
Meaning that the imperial knows where all dirty rebels are before he can deploy his troops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voy_tak wrote:
Clarification regarding the chronological sequence of deployment is needed from my side.
So, all units are drawn down one space and all units from construction space "1" are deployed on the board. Max 2 units per system.
Starting with the rebel player.
Does that mean that the rebel player deploys all his units first and then the imperial has the go?
Meaning that the imperial knows where all dirty rebels are before he can deploy his troops?

Yes, that all seems correct.

To be extra clear, only those that were in the 1 space (and hence sliding out) are deployed, the ones that move into the 1 space are not deployed yet.

And as a side note, you aren't forced to deploy units, you can return them to the 1 space if you wish to keep them for later (or cannot deploy them due to system limitations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
Clipper wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

I actually prefer the idea that they aren't. It seems odd that unmanned structures can prevent anything.

What on earth gave you the impression they were unmanned? Just because one side doesn't have enough combat personnel present to represent a unit of troops doesn't mean nobody is on the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.