Subject: Bunker Hill scenario from Clash for a Continent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was wondering if anyone has ever won this scenario as the British? It seems impossible if the Yankee player has half a brain! I have tried several times and each has been in the realm of 6-3 or 4 VPs, with the Americans winning at 6 VPs and the Brits needing 7. It's tough! If anyone has won, please tell me how you did it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, you need to roll a lot of sixes...seriously, it is one tough scenario to win as the Brits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
The closest I was able to achieve was by taking out their leader in a suicidal assault, which was all luck. Let them deal with lower APs each round, but the defenses was still stout enough to prevent me from getting more than 4 before they got 6. And I learned the hard way that trying to rush the fence line is folly. Tough stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a modified (simplified) version of this (with 1/72 minis) for my son's grade 4 history class.

The Brits got a Third assault line later in the game using lost pieces from earlier assaults. We played 10 times with 20 different kids and only once did the British player come even close to defeating the colonials. It was a perfect way to "explain" this battle to them so they understood what really happened there. Pretty amazing to watch their reactions as each battle played out. Not "fun" but very educational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
Very cool, Dave! I think those are Hobby Lobby minis! I used them once to make a diorama. In my research, it seemed that the actual fight was a loss for both sides. The Brits actually managed to take the strongpoint, but with high costs. The colonials only lost heavily when they were making their retreat from the position. In the aftermath, it was realized that the position had no real strategic significance. I may redesign the scenario to reflect this, perhaps allowing the colonials to retreat after so many rounds to gain VPs, and switching the victory conditions slightly. If I do this I'll repost and get feedback from you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cory. The minis are from IMEX and Italeri.

Re: Retreats: I made it that when the first British unit from the third assault wave reached a "hill" hex on the colonial side, the colonists would lose one figure of their choice. On each subsequent turn, the Colonial player must remove one of their own figures of their choice from the board.

To be more accurate, I probably should have had the retreats begin as the British crossed the halfway fold of the board, but this was a quickie I made up for the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.