Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: First Time Painter! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Reeves

Texas
msg tools
Hello All!
This is my first time posting on BGG (after visiting the site for a couple years). I just finished my first foray in to painting miniatures. It was a very good experience. After watching many, many video tutorials I purchased the Army Painter Mega Set and some primers. It took me about 10 days or 35 hours. The zombies got tedious, but I had a lot of fun with the heroes.
Hopefully we'll get to play with them soon. Figured I'd post them since I thought they turned out nice for my first time. Hope this works! Thanks for looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
king seamus
msg tools
mb
Great work on those mini's Chad, particularly the dwarf ! Your games will look fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!

* Okay, now start basing! zombie

* Paint eyeballs onto the heroes. It's okay to skip the heroes you've already painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Reeves

Texas
msg tools
Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boelk
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
* Paint eyeballs onto the heroes. It's okay to skip the heroes you've already painted.[/q]

I'm not a fan of doing eyeballs as a beginner. unless you know what your doing they will come out looking terrible. A good paint job, a wash, and a clear coat will be fine for pieces that are being played with.

One thing to try if you have not already if the Minwax Poly stain. Its like a wash and sealer in one. It is also vey cost effective considering how much your getting compared to the prince. If your not a fan of the glossy look you can always hit it with a matte lacquer or sealant spray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome. I hope I can get an outcome something like that when I try it...

Thanks for posting them.

d3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Linna
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are nice looking! I bought this game few weeks ago and this is my and my wife's first miniature painting project too. I post pics also after we have completed the first 18 zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Reeves

Texas
msg tools
Thanks! One of the hardest things for me was just trying not to rush through the zombies. There's so many and it gets repetitive painting the same thing over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Linna
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wookie the Chad wrote:
... There's so many and it gets repetitive painting the same thing over and over...

That's true! I have heard many say that because there are too many minis so not worth spending so much time with them. But because this is our only painting project so we try to make precise work.

And because we have expansions which comes with more zombies so we can play at the same time by replacing those what are in painting. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice looking minis.

This is the first game I have painted as well so there was a bit of a steep learning curve but they are great for practicing on.

What are you using for blood on the swords? I went with the Tamiya X-27 Clear Red with a bit of brown and black mixed in, nice and fresh looking.

I also cut all the zombies off the bases and replaced them with clear acrylic bases. I am not sure it was worth the expense but it certainly doesn't detract from the look.

As for the eyes, I gave them a go! All my heroes look a little startled but I guess I would as well during a zombie apocalypse. I basically filled the entire eye socket and surrounding area with white and then painted over it with flesh paint getting closer and closer to the middle until the eye was roughly the right size and shape, then I used a micron pen to put in the pupil.

I figured I might as well have fun and get as much practice as possible.

I got very bored with the zombies as well but I selected one of each type and painted them all the same colour scheme. Then selected another group of each type and painted them a different colour scheme. I won't say it kept it interesting but it could probably have been a lot more boring if I hadn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Chad,

Those minis look great, I'm really digging what you are doing there. Your attention to detail from your hours of research and painting certainly come through, nicely done.

And welcome to the world of posting on BGG by the way. I lurked for years before jumping in as well...*Chuckle*...

Again, kudos on your first paint job. I stopped painting years ago, long before hobby gaming got as diverse and plentiful as it's gotten today, but it's always great to see folks stepping up. Your players are going to appreciate your efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Reeves

Texas
msg tools
Thanks Mark and QorDaq!

Mark, I was a little to nervous to paint the eyes. So I passed. laugh Good for you at giving them a go!

Jislizard wrote:

What are you using for blood on the swords? I went with the Tamiya X-27 Clear Red with a bit of brown and black mixed in, nice and fresh looking.

I used Army Painters "Chaotic Red" for the dried blood and "Dragon Red" for the fresh blood.

We played Sunday night with them. The guys really appreciated the effort and I felt like it made the game more fun. But, maybe that was just me! ha

I have a heroes box arriving tomorrow. The one with 3 heroes and a necromancer. Should be fun!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Jislizard wrote:

I also cut all the zombies off the bases and replaced them with clear acrylic bases. I am not sure it was worth the expense but it certainly doesn't detract from the look.

As for the eyes, I gave them a go! All my heroes look a little startled but I guess I would as well during a zombie apocalypse. I basically filled the entire eye socket and surrounding area with white and then painted over it with flesh paint getting closer and closer to the middle until the eye was roughly the right size and shape, then I used a micron pen to put in the pupil.

I really love the clear bases for zombicide. You don't think much about it until you've played a game with them, at which point you're amazed by how nice the board looks. I also used slightly smaller bases for my walkers (20mm), so more of them fit in each space, which was nice.

A little trick for the eyes, if your figures always look surprised, is that you can try to have them looking to the side. I've found that having them look off to the right or left makes them look less surprised than if they are looking straight ahead. Getting the eyes right is the trickiest part, but when you nail it, they look wonderful. Not necessary if you just want them on the board looking nice to play with, but worth the time if you enjoy the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wookie the Chad wrote:
Thanks Mark and QorDaq!

Mark, I was a little to nervous to paint the eyes. So I passed. laugh Good for you at giving them a go!

Sometimes all it takes is a dot from an ultra-fine Sharpie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never would have guessed this was your first try! They look fantastic.

I've been sitting on my first batch of paints for half a year, waiting to take the plunge. So I know what you mean about watching hours and hours of tutorial videos. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.