Subject: What's the point of Tesla? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Skarp
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I just recently played the game again with some new players and we were having a tough time with how Tesla is set up. He has a 3 for his Invention (lightning bolt) score yet his ability ignores said lightning values when performing a technology action. So what's the point? If he has higher invention level than everyone, why also ignore said rating? I keep feeling as though I'm missing something that benefits from having higher invention values. For example, Edison gets benefits pertaining to patents as well as anything that benefits from a slightly higher Money value. Am I missing something? Or is Tesla just suppose to excess at technology (rightfully so thematically speaking)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the example of Advancing Technology on p. 7 of the rules. You can use a *different* luminary to advance technology, at 0 invention cost. So if you have an unexhausted Tesla, you could use Edwin Rice (2 gear, 0 lightning) to advance the first two levels of AC or Bulb technology, and save Tesla for a later action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He makes a point, though. Tesla has 3 invention. Invention is used for technology. But Tesla's power is to ignore invention requirements for technology. So what else does he do with those three points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
You advance another technology. It's like getting 5 technology instead of 3. You could advance AC tech with Rice, and then bulb tech with Tesla and another luminary, and grab patents along the way to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.