No Trumpets No Drums» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat illustration of fire support range in 2016 rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Willis
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
The illustration on page 15 of the 2016 rules booklet shows red units in hex 0640 being attacked by an allied force using Naval gunfire support and firebase support from units that are 3 hexes distant. The range given for these units in section 19.2.2 is 2 hexes. also, the patrol boat is supposed to be adjacent, but it is two-hexes distant.

I wonder - am I interpreting the range incorrectly or is this illustration simply wrong?

The original rulebook doesn't have an illustration like this so I have no idea how the ranges are supposed to be determined - is it INCLUSIVE of the Target hex, or are the ranges considered to be the spaces BETWEEN the support unit and the target hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a response to this . . . don't know why it didn't "take."

I looked at the online rules--still waiting for my copy to arrive.

It seems clear to me that the example illustration is in conflict with the rules sections pertaining to fire support and Riverine and Naval pieces.

I wondered if perhaps Support is credited if it can reach an "attacking" Unit, but the rules indicate that firebases and other pieces giving "ranged" support must be "in range" of the Unit being attacked.

That would mean the blue-water naval piece is one hex too far from the Communist Unit being attacked in the example, and so is the Riverine piece.

I must root out my original edition and see what the rules say there. Perhaps in the new edition, the "support" must reach the target while in the original, it only had to reach a participating friendly Unit.

That seems an odd rule, but it is sticking in my mind from somewhere. Not sure if it was NTND or an entirely different game.

In any case, by the new rules, the text looks to be in conflict with the example.

EDIT: My copy arrive last Friday PM. I was very disappointed to find that the very sturdy, attractive game box had one short side badly mashed. Looks like somebody actually threw it down, or stomped on it, for the box is a strong one. Thanks so much USPS.

Fortunately the contents were intact. That is a very nice mounted board indeed. The clear map graphics and mounted board were the main reason I bought the new edition. Apart from graphic style and very glossy finish, It appears that the countersheet contains the same units as the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still waiting for my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianstrait wrote:
I am still waiting for my copy.
Sorry, but I may have gotten yours. I was sent two copies and I cannot figure out why. an email has been sent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is on it's way, Hopefully it will arrive son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
Catalunya, Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the new version has different scale for the terrain. In the Wargamer edition, the range of Firebases is two hexes. In attack it must reach the hex with the enmey unit, and in defense it must reach the hex with the defender unit. The Fleet unit works equal.

And for the Riverine Units, support is equal, but range is only one hex or the same hex.

I hope this will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.