Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am playing a solitaire game of FS as the Arverni and I am 1st eligible on the event Chieftains' Council:

Quote:
Leaders convene: Select a Region with at least 2 non-German Factions’ pieces. Two or more player Factions there in above order look at next 2 facedown cards, then may either execute a free Limited Command (anywhere) or become Eligible.

So, "Two or more player Factions there" seems to indicate that non-player Factions cannot benefit from this card, not even to take the Limited Command or go Eligible. Then what happens if I play the card on a Region containing some pieces of mine and some of NP Aedui's? My best guess is that only player factions (so just me) would get the benefit in this case, but I'd like confirmation. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It does say "player Factions", so that would be just you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also says "Two or more..." in the action portion, so I would think that the event is unplayable with a single player since you can't meet that requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
5.1.3 allows you to execute the part that is possible to execute, i.e., allow the single player to look at the upcoming cards.

If the Event text had said "Select a Region with at least 2 player Factions' pieces", then it would have been unplayable in a solo game since there is no way to have a Region with 2 player Factions' pieces when there is only one player Faction in the game. If you can't even select a space to execute the Event text in, 5.1.3 can't help you.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll agree that you can select the region. I don't think you can then do the action, though, because it specifically says that "Two or more player factions may...." If it intended to allow you to do it with just your faction, why would it say "Two or more..." instead of "Any number of..."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
OK, I'll agree that you can select the region. I don't think you can then do the action, though, because it specifically says that "Two or more player factions may...." If it intended to allow you to do it with just your faction, why would it say "Two or more..." instead of "Any number of..."?
This way it forces you to select another player in a multiplayer game, rather than giving you the option of being the only player to look at the cards.

I agree with your reading that it can't be used in solo play, but I'm not sure if that was actually the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're both ignoring rule 5.1.3, guys...

That rule requires you to implement every part of an executed Event text that can be implemented; but allows you to partially implement texts in those cases where only some parts can be implemented. For example, if an Event says to place exactly 6 Warbands but there are only 4 Warbands Available, you may still use the Event to place those 4 Warbands.

The Chieftains' Council Event is no different. Since 5.1.3 requires you to implement every part of the Event text that can be implemented, you have to select a space with at least 2 player Factions' pieces if there is at least one such space on the map; and in this case you have to let at least 2 of those player Factions implement the "look at cards then become Eligible/take a LimCom" part.

If there is no space with two player Factions' pieces, either because there is only one player in the game or because the players have all kept their pieces segregated from those of the other players, then there is no way to implement the full Event text "Two or more player Factions"; but it is still possible to let one player Faction implement that part, since 5.1.3 allows you to "implement that which can".

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.