Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » Variants

Subject: Easy Spartan Nerf (Special ability Nerf) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schor
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
the big problem for everyone is that Sparta dominates land battles because of the always start. I suggest the following variant:

The start attacker of a battle is the one who's turn end instigated the battle.

In case of a land battle:
Sparta has the opportunity to activate his special ability and start as attacker even though a battle was instigated in an Athenian turn. After this, the special ability is tapped(turn the lambda icon piece to the neutral side)

In case of sea battle:
Athens has the opportunity to activate his special ability and start as attacker even though a battle was instigated in a Spartan turn. After this, the special ability is tapped(turn the Owl icon piece to the neutral side)

New action:
Pay 1 prestige to regain your special ability

New preparation before next turn step:
Untap both special abilities

In this way the flavor is still there. it can still be very important. but no team can spam their domination with impunity.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Smith
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't get the feeling that Sparta needs a nerf. If Athens can execute the trading/naval gameplan well, control the right cities based on geography and resources, avoid land battles, and block Sparta's land movement, they can do very well. I have definitely had games where Sparta seems OP depending on how the early game pans out, but I've also had ones where Athens just runs away with it. And I've won easily as both against opponents of equal skill some of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karpify wrote:
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't get the feeling that Sparta needs a nerf. If Athens can execute the trading/naval gameplan well, control the right cities based on geography and resources, avoid land battles, and block Sparta's land movement, they can do very well. I have definitely had games where Sparta seems OP depending on how the early game pans out, but I've also had ones where Athens just runs away with it. And I've won easily as both against opponents of equal skill some of the time.

This exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could be a good balancing factor for an inexperienced player vs an experienced player.

But I have to agree with the other posters above. There is so much going on in Polis. I may have agreed with the OP when I was first starting out, Sparta seemed a bit OP. But after getting over the learning curve and finally playing this game a lot of times, strategies really open up and you realize there are many counters for any strategy. (There was even a point where we maybe swung the other way and thought Athens was OP, for a little while.)

It does require a lot of time spent playing, though. This one has such a brutally steep learning curve. Coupled with being brutally unforgiving, and I can see why these threads pop up so often. It often crossed my mind as I learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to nerf Sparta is to have me play them. (That also works for Athens.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.