Subject: Having an App-Keeper to filter jargon text rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Mcleod
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
Do you feel other players will be distracted from the acctual game by the fancy flashy app? What you could do is have only one player using the app and reading aloud - for explanation purposes lets call this player "the app-keeper" (1e throwback lol)

If an experienced player is the app-keeper, they can even filter out some of text as it appears to increase immersion for the other players - so instead of "A dusty table resides in the left hand corner. Place a token as indicated" the keeper can meeerly read the first sentence and ignore the second.

This would come especially handy for lengthy checks, horror, attack etc. For example:

"The monster lashes forward, tentacles fluttering violently. Test Agility (3). If you pass, you jump aside as the gargantuan beast storms past. No Effect. If you fail, the slithery tentacles wrap around you like a vice. Take 2 Facedown Horror and become Restrained"

The app-keeper need only read out
"The monster lashes forward, tentacles fluttering violently. Test Agility (3)" then ask the player in question to carry out the test, reading out only the text connected to either the pass or failed agility roll.
(This would also add a albeit-minor addition to replayability, if the player in question passed this agility check, they would have no idea what would have happened if they fail, leaving mystery for the next time this check appears)

Obviously players will still need access to the app for the puzzles

What are other peoples solutions for using the app? Do all players take turns in your games? Or do you have one player controlling the app? Interested to hear peoples thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I do it too

It's also how we've always done the crossroads cards in Dead of Winter and the cards in Eldritch Horror

I feel it improves immersion and theme when players make decisions or hear narrative based on what is thematically happening rather than seeing the underlying mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
The app tells the possible results before the dice roll successes are entered ? That's weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
The app tells the possible results before the dice roll successes are entered ? That's weak.

The App just takes the place of cards in this instance. Successes are not 'entered' into the App. The game doesn't play through the App; it plays on the table. It's not intended to make this information hidden. Players are perfectly able to hide the information themselves if they desire, as suggested by the OP.

How does that qualify as 'weak'? It seems to me a good design choice, giving players maximum scope for playing as they prefer.

In truth, the combat encounters are generic enough, and repeat often enough that players will quickly start to memorize the outcomes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, there are some instances where you don't see what the outcome is and they just ask you to plug in the number of successes, but that's usually for investigating things.

I saw a conversation on the ffg forums about how people wanted everything to be hidden until you put in successes, and there was another group that said they didn't want that but it would be fine if it was optional.

Those that were against it made a very valid point. getting to see the pass or fail results creates a situation where you have to make choices about your current status. Can I afford to take this 3 damage hit? Do I use my clue tokens now, or should I save them for the mythos phase?

Or, an alternate route, have someone else read your encounter, and not tell you what the penalties are. Even on doing that, the person reading in our group usually says when we really don't want to fail a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yup, it's a conscious decision to let you see the results, so choosing whether to use clues or not is an interesting decision. Otherwise it's just a guess, may as well roll a die, evens spend a clue, odd don't. You'll do just as well.

The flip side is you lose some immersion- in most cases your character won't know what the result of failure will be. But then the whole notion of spending clue tokens to buff roles isn't that thematic anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.