Subject: 3A. Sanctify the city VS 2A. Keep them out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sang Min Kim
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools

Hello, I have a question regarding these two texts.

3A. Sanctify the city says "End # turns in unmarked Monster-free Districts with no physical Corruption tokens and mark those districts." Well, this makes sense to me.

However, 2A. Keep Them Out! says "End # turns in A Monster-free district. Mark those Districts". The problem with this is that a singular & a plural word for District are used in one paragraph. Should this be "End # turns in A Monster-free district. Mark the District"?

If the ability of this is worded correctly, what does 'those districts' mean here? A good example would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pluus wrote:

Hello, I have a question regarding these two texts.

3A. Sanctify the city says "End # turns in unmarked Monster-free Districts with no physical Corruption tokens and mark those districts." Well, this makes sense to me.

However, 2A. Keep Them Out! says "End # turns in A Monster-free district. Mark those Districts". The problem with this is that a singular & a plural word for District are used in one paragraph. Should this be "End # turns in A Monster-free district. Mark the District"?

If the ability of this is worded correctly, what does 'those districts' mean here? A good example would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!

I've played those 2 stories

Basically, they mean the same thing... as long as your hero(es) end a turn in a monster-free, token-free district. But it's not easy to accomplish. I ended up going for the alternate missions both times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
3a. Always many districts. Cleanse the city of corruption.
2a. Can be 1 or many districts. You can choose just 1 district and keep them out. Can complete this very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trick of English; they chose to use no article in the first version, hence plural, but used an article 'a' in the second version, hence singular. Semantically, they need not necessarily, but in this can, mean the same thing. Subtleties of copy editing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They both mean the same thing in my mind. End a turn in x number of clear spaces. The real question is if you end in an already marked district if you gain credit for that again or not. I'd say it has to be x number of unique districts but I could see an argument either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sang Min Kim
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
rrrrupp wrote:
They both mean the same thing in my mind. End a turn in x number of clear spaces. The real question is if you end in an already marked district if you gain credit for that again or not. I'd say it has to be x number of unique districts but I could see an argument either way.

There's no question. 3a states it must be an unmarked district whereas for 2a the district need only be free of monsters (so could be one you marked in a previous turn). Of course if you turtle in 1 district to achieve 2a then the Sin player is free to spread fire in all the others whereas if you mark multiple districts then you start to limit the amount of places they can place fire on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.