Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it legal for an Investigator to choose to discard (or refuse to accept) an Item or Spell which he/she does not want (barring any wording which forces the keeping/acceptance of that card)?

Case in point: i have Shaggy's Massive Song (or is it the Requiem of Mass Shagging?) and really don't want it.

i have found no rule prohibiting arbitrary discards, but also no rule allowing it.

To be clear, i'm not talking about effects which force one to discard. i'm talking about a choice to say, "nope - don't want that, so i'll just leave it here [placing it in the discard pile]."

:-?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Is it legal for an Investigator to choose to discard (or refuse to accept) an Item or Spell which he/she does not want (barring any wording which forces the keeping/acceptance of that card)?

Case in point: i have Shaggy's Massive Song (or is it the Requiem of Mass Shagging?) and really don't want it.

i have found no rule prohibiting arbitrary discards, but also no rule allowing it.

To be clear, i'm not talking about effects which force one to discard. i'm talking about a choice to say, "nope - don't want that, so i'll just leave it here [placing it in the discard pile]."

:-?

It does not say you can discard voluntarily, therefore you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

There are lots of things the rules don't say. They don't say that you may play the game on an air mattress in a swimming pool. They don't say that you may use proxy pieces/token if you want to. They don't say that you may rename the characters (or give them nicknames) if you like. In fact, they don't say more than they do say.

So you can certainly understand my skepticism with regards to that answer.

Every Item/Spell card i've seen so far is either beneficial or provides a trade-off (e.g. get some benefit which might go sour during a Reckoning). i.e. i've seen no such cards which are "cursed" (in the RPG sense of "this is something nobody wants but you're forced to keep it until Remove Curse is cast on you").

Because of that, i currently suspect that the ability to choose to discard an Item/Spell is an unintentional omission, and not a blanket prohibition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DaveD wrote:

There are lots of things the rules don't say. They don't say that you may play the game on an air mattress in a swimming pool. They don't say that you may use proxy pieces/token if you want to. They don't say that you may rename the characters (or give them nicknames) if you like. In fact, they don't say more than they do say.

Every Item/Spell card i've seen so far is either beneficial or provides a trade-off (e.g. get some benefit which might go sour during a Reckoning). i.e. i've seen no such cards which are "cursed" (in the RPG sense of "this is something nobody wants but you're forced to keep it until Remove Curse is cast on you").

Because of that, i currently suspect that the ability to choose to discard an Item/Spell is an unintentional omission, and not a blanket prohibition.

From the FAQ

Quote:
Q Can an investigator choose to discard a possession he does not want?
A. No. An investigator cannot simply discard possessions he does not want. However, he can trade those possession to another investigator or discard them if an effct causes him to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
...i currently suspect that the ability to choose to discard an Item/Spell is an unintentional omission, and not a blanket prohibition.

Your suspicion is wrong. The first question under Possessions and Conditions in the official FAQ on ghe Fantasy Flight site:

"Q. Can an investigator choose to discard a possession he does not want?

A. No. An investigator cannot simply discard possessions
he does not want. However, he can trade those possession to another investigator or discard them if an effect causes him to."

P.S. Ninja'd! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
...i currently suspect that the ability to choose to discard an Item/Spell is an unintentional omission, and not a blanket prohibition.

Your suspicion is wrong.

That's okay - it's not the first time .

But actually... it wasn't wrong, per se. They left it out of the rules but answered it in the FAQ, which implies that it was inadvertently left out of the rules (or didn't come up until after the rules were published).

dugman wrote:
P.S. Ninja'd! ninja

i have no idea what that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
P.S. Ninja'd! ninja

i have no idea what that means.[/q]

Another poster beat him to the answer, presumably while he was typing his response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
DaveD wrote:

Dave probably used some unfortunate examples. But from a game design perspective, it makes sense that everything that is not explicitly permitted is not allowed since you can't cover all edge cases.
- Is it allowed to voluntarily become delayed?
- Is it allowed to discard the asset reserve if you don't like it?
- May I add some eldritch token to the mystery every turn?
Nothing of that is explicitly prohibited but clearly not allowed. Just like dropping items even though it makes thematic sense.
The fact that it was added to the FAQ is no sign that is was supposed to be in the rules, otherwise it would have been added to the "Errata".

After all, just assume that your investigators have no idea how bad those items are for them. And in the case of the Requiem: Maybe ancient powers just don't let your investigator simply get rid of this artifact. It's like the one ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules also don't say dogs can't play basketball, and look where THAT got us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.