$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this power, to draw Character cards after playing them, work in multiplayer? Does it apply to both the Sauron and Saurons' allies player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It applies only to the Witch-king player, as he/she controls the Witch-king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While on the other hand Gandalf's ability to draw cards played by a Palantir refer to both players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about the Witch-king of Angmar is participating in a an attack within a Mixed Army under control by the Isengard-Evil Men player? If the controlling player uses a Combat Card during the first round of battle, does he get to use the Witch-king's ability to immediately draw another appropriate event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In that case, the Saruman player has temporary control of the Witch-king for the duration of the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Yes. In that case, the Saruman player has temporary control of the Witch-king for the duration of the battle.

So if he becomes the controller of the Chief of the Ringwraiths as a result of him having Army Units (say, an Uruk-hai) in the same region as the Witch-king on the Fellbeast, does he get to use then the Witch-king's ability if he plays a Character Event Card and draw another card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say not, as the ability has nothing to do with Armies or combat. The rules for mixed Armies deal with transfer of control of Leaders and Army units for Army movement and combat purposes. While Characters are indeed part of the Army they're in, and move and fight with that Army, control of Characters is not explicitly transferred in the mixed Army rules. This indicates that transfer of control of Characters within such an Army should be only for Army-related activities and only for the duration of those activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
I would say not, as the ability has nothing to do with Armies or combat. The rules for mixed Armies deal with transfer of control of Leaders and Army units for Army movement and combat purposes. While Characters are indeed part of the Army they're in, and move and fight with that Army, control of Characters is not explicitly transferred in the mixed Army rules. This indicates that transfer of control of Characters within such an Army should be only for Army-related activities and only for the duration of those activities.

Let's make a comparison situation with e.g. Gothmog. This had come up in our recent games, more than once.

Gothmog's special ability "Fling them into the Fray." allows the controller to recruit one Regular or upgrade one Elite unit if he is with a Shadow Army. There is no specification if the forces have to be from the Sauron Nation, meaning that his ability can be used to recruit Southron/Easterlings, or the Orcs of Isengard. Since that is apparently the case for him, it would make little sense if the Saruman/EvilMen player cannot use his ability, if he is controlling a mixed army Gothmog is a part of (or, not a mixed army at all, but a pure army belonging to that player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

There is no specification if the forces have to be from the Sauron Nation, ....

Yes there is, it specifically states it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

Oh...you're right, I've just rechecked the card.

I guess my friend's gonna be disappointed a lot.

P. S. Also, on a completely unrelated matter, it seems that playing the Evil Men - Isengard side may just very well be the most boring of the 4. All of the other three sides are considerably more intriguing, with so many heroes, options, etc...and with these, it's just Saruman. And when Saruman dies, the Elites aren't even Leaders anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
GamesJart wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

Oh...you're right, I've just rechecked the card.

I guess my friend's gonna be disappointed a lot.

P. S. Also, on a completely unrelated matter, it seems that playing the Evil Men - Isengard side may just very well be the most boring of the 4. All of the other three sides are considerably more intriguing, with so many heroes, options, etc...and with these, it's just Saruman. And when Saruman dies, the Elites aren't even Leaders anymore.

I'm going from memory, and only played 4p once over a year ago, but aren't the S&E Elites always counted as leaders in a 4p game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only while Saruman is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Only while Saruman is in play.

Ahh ok. Even with that aside it does seem that player kinda gets the short end of the stick so far as interesting characters goes. I think the new expansion will address this to some extent - Corsairs I expect to belong to this player, Spiders as well maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Factions don't belong to either player on a team. They are shared equally, with each player having his/her own hand of Faction Event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Factions don't belong to either player on a team. They are shared equally, with each player having his/her own hand of Faction Event cards.

Yeah good point - and that would do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
While any players can use the factions Corsairs will most naturally be used by S/E player and Wild Men of Dunlending as well. I wouldn't foresee the sauron player often using Wild Men of Dunlending, certainly not as much as the Saruman player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere - I'm pulling this from memory - that they had during design some ideas about an Uruk Minion, but for some (gameplay reason?) they've dropped it in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure if this is related to what you are thinking of, but one design change ahead of first edition's release was to use the Uruk-hai sculpt as regulars instead of elites. My Isengard regulars came with elite-size bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Not sure if this is related to what you are thinking of, but one design change ahead of first edition's release was to use the Uruk-hai sculpt as regulars instead of elites. My Isengard regulars came with elite-size bases.

Interesting. And what was the original sculpt for the regulars then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Rafamir wrote:

Interesting. And what was the original sculpt for the regulars then?

I'm guessing based on the earliest images on Nexus' old site that it was going to be the Dunlending sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.