$20.00
$15.00
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
My regular group of five players found this to be a problem a couple of years ago - we all owned several games that we felt weren't getting enough love.

Our solution was to devise a league/round system, managed by a secret ballot. We each had five votes to award; worth 5, 4, 3, 2 & 1 points respectively. The five top-rated games were then selected to play at our weekly get together. We committed to play each game at least three times in a round.

For the second round, we repeated the vote, carrying over points from the first round, but making the first selections exempt from the ballot.

In the third round, the first selections were available again, but they were all reset at 0 points.

The voting was actually really enjoyable, as (being gamers) we revealed in the tactical aspect of allocating our votes.

We did this for maybe two years, and it really helped to get unloved games to the table, and to increase our knowledge of the games selected. I think only two games made it to the table in two separate rounds of gaming.

I'd recommend it to anyone facing similar issues in their group. Sure, some games you dislike may make it to the table, but those extra plays may just help change your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did similar thing last year for BGG.con

Had my group submit list of candidate games and used a shared OneDrive Excel spreadsheet to enter their votes with a 1-20 weight value. A formula tabulated the overall weight of each game and sorted them on the fly into an overall ranking.

That way the games got played in order of most desired by the group to least desired, so at the end of the con, the games most wanted to be played were guaranteed to have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW my wife and I make a monthly "theme" and try to play a game each day based on it, which encourages us to play all kinds of games which haven't been played in a while.

It could be a specific title (e.g. this month we're playing Greed every day), but (for your purposes) more interesting is when it's something wacky like "Games with titles ending in the letter 'o'" or "Stacking games" or "Games published in a square box" or "Games published by Nestorgames" or whatever, in which case we try to play as many different games covered by that theme as possible in the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW my wife and I make a monthly "theme" and try to play a game each day based on it, which encourages us to play all kinds of games which haven't been played in a while.

It could be a specific title (e.g. this month we're playing Greed every day), but (for your purposes) more interesting is when it's something wacky like "Games with titles ending in the letter 'o'" or "Stacking games" or "Games published in a square box" or "Games published by Nestorgames" or whatever, in which case we try to play as many different games covered by that theme as possible in the month.

That's a really nice idea.

Not sure it would work with my group, as we only meet once a week.

Another reason we went for this scheme was the desire to improve at games/learn the correct techniques, hence the focus on five games at a time. I have to say, it really did help, in that regard. A nice side effect was the reduction in AP as players became more familiar with each title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. So you forced yourselves to play games you don't like? Pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Registrau wrote:

Hmmm. No, not at all.

We devised a system which enabled us to play more of our burgeoning libraries. It's easy to not enjoy a game without fundamentally disliking it. For instance, I never enjoyed playing Automobile, because I struggled to grasp the balance of the economy. Once it had been elected to scheme, and I played it more often, I found I began to enjoy it.

Puzzled at your interpretation, frankly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
liencam wrote:
Registrau wrote:

Hmmm. No, not at all.

We devised a system which enabled us to play more of our burgeoning libraries. It's easy to not enjoy a game without fundamentally disliking it. For instance, I never enjoyed playing Automobile, because I struggled to grasp the balance of the economy. Once it had been elected to scheme, and I played it more often, I found I began to enjoy it.

Puzzled at your interpretation, frankly.

Ok, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.