Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just reading through the rules now, and have got to the part about beaming crew down for Class K/L planets, and I'm wondering: why wouldn't you just always send everyone down to give you the best chance of succeeding at the mission? Surely holding people back means you're more likely to fail and just lose people for no good reason.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a battle and you can't succeed with diplomacy or long range attack, then you must damage your away team members one at a time. And once they are wounded, you can't activate their abilities. So it's possible that you'll draw a tile that causes you to wound everyone and still fail at the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
If there's a battle and you can't succeed with diplomacy or long range attack, then you must damage your away team members one at a time. And once they are wounded, you can't activate their abilities. So it's possible that you'll draw a tile that causes you to wound everyone and still fail at the mission.

Yes, I understand that, but it still seems like the best idea is to always send everyone just because if you don't then you're more likely to fail anyway.

So, in practice, does anyone ever not send everyone on the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you don't see a reasonable chance of success, send few or none of your card crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't send down all my crew - it's usually too much of a risk. But there are of course situations when the tactic outweighs the risk. So IOW, it always depends on your situation. But my normal default is to be very selective while holding some crew members back.

Why?

First, it IS a (dangerous) risk to send your crew members on an Away Mission. Consider that there are no shields to protect them. If the crew is still around when the "Assign Damage" phase starts, they have zero protection.
They will take hits! So given that this is normally a considerable possibility, is why you want to be selective on who you send.

So then it really becomes a puzzle to figure out the probability of still being on the ground when the "Assign Damage" begins. Your calculation of this probability will inform you of how many crew members to send.

For instance, if you have one or two strong Diplomacy cards in your hand, and your Captain is strong in Diplomacy, and perhaps you have a crew member or two that can also offer Diplomacy points, then those should be the crew you send with an expectation of succeeding on Diplomacy alone. Don't send any more crew than that! Not worth the risk.

Or let's say that your diplomacy skills suck... for whatever reason, you just can't muster enough diplomacy points to be comfortable with a diplomacy success. Then you must go down to the surface planning to win at combat. But here again, who you send, and thusly your expected probability of success, will depend primarily on your crew's Long Range Attack strength.

Perhaps you feel that your LRA strength may be enough to defeat the enemy. OK, it's a risk, but perhaps an acceptable risk. So send those crew members (the crew with strong LRA).
But your follow-on question should be whether or not the team you send can survive the "Assign Damage Phase" with enough Attack points to attack the enemy during the "Attack Phase" for a victory.

If you can be reasonably sure of a success during the "Attack Phase", then it may be worth the risk mentioned above!

But OTOH if not, then don't send anyone, as mentioned in an earlier reply.

Bottom Line: Your crew is generally always more valuable than the points you may get from an Away Mission. So always consider your crew's strengths vs the risk. Once you calculate the probabilities of either a diplomatic or a battle success, you'll then know who to hold back and who to send. But it's usually not worth the risk to send everyone. (And remember that if you hold your Captain's card in your hand, only he/she can use it during an Away Mission).

The above is only my two cents ... I'm no expert by any means, so take it FWIW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a question of how many crew members you want to risk. The more crew members you send, the higher the probability of success, but you are putting more crew members and your captain at risk, some of whom may be critical for your later plans.

Also, there will be some away missions which you know you will fail before choosing crew. For example, Borg assaults or h-class planets. For those missions, sending nobody (aside from the implied security team) minimizes your losses (-2 reputation).

Lastly, you of course cannot send already activated or wounded crew, I assume you are asking about why wouldn't everybody want to send everyone they legally can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I don't send down all my crew - it's usually too much of a risk. But there are of course situations when the tactic outweighs the risk. So IOW, it always depends on your situation. But my normal default is to be very selective while holding some crew members back.

Why?

First, it IS a (dangerous) risk to send your crew members on an Away Mission. Consider that there are no shields to protect them. If the crew is still around when the "Assign Damage" phase starts, they have zero protection.
They will take hits! So given that this is normally a considerable possibility, is why you want to be selective on who you send.

So then it really becomes a puzzle to figure out the probability of still being on the ground when the "Assign Damage" begins. Your calculation of this probability will inform you of how many crew members to send.

For instance, if you have one or two strong Diplomacy cards in your hand, and your Captain is strong in Diplomacy, and perhaps you have a crew member or two that can also offer Diplomacy points, then those should be the crew you send with an expectation of succeeding on Diplomacy alone. Don't send any more crew than that! Not worth the risk.

Or let's say that your diplomacy skills suck... for whatever reason, you just can't muster enough diplomacy points to be comfortable with a diplomacy success. Then you must go down to the surface planning to win at combat. But here again, who you send, and thusly your expected probability of success, will depend primarily on your crew's Long Range Attack strength.

Perhaps you feel that your LRA strength may be enough to defeat the enemy. OK, it's a risk, but perhaps an acceptable risk. So send those crew members (the crew with strong LRA).
But your follow-on question should be whether or not the team you send can survive the "Assign Damage Phase" with enough Attack points to attack the enemy during the "Attack Phase" for a victory.

If you can be reasonably sure of a success during the "Attack Phase", then it may be worth the risk mentioned above!

But OTOH if not, then don't send anyone, as mentioned in an earlier reply.

Bottom Line: Your crew is generally always more valuable than the points you may get from an Away Mission. So always consider your crew's strengths vs the risk. Once you calculate the probabilities of either a diplomatic or a battle success, you'll then know who to hold back and who to send. But it's usually not worth the risk to send everyone. (And remember that if you hold your Captain's card in your hand, only he/she can use it during an Away Mission).

The above is only my two cents ... I'm no expert by any means, so take it FWIW!

Thank you - that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.